Starting my training route next tuesday, any suggestions?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How do you get away with It?...center manager on speed dial?
images-37.jpeg
yup

AllOnTheHorses

one thing that bothers me about the 30 day trial is that businesses/air stops seem to be where the time eaters are.. time wasted getting signatures, locked/slow/busy loading docks, illogical orion setup, truck stuffed to the gills.. etc. I do wish that new drivers were judged more on residential speed and accuracy, as that is where the driver's true ability will show.. so much of the AM stop problems out of my control. Also.. I am curious just how much discretion center manager's have in approving a new driver. I don't have an issue with center manager's cutting a true jerk with some technical infraction.. however if I try try try and seem to be getting my time more in control (showing promise as a new driver) I would hope that center manager's have some ways to keep me. Or.. is it just a numbers game?
As for advice for a newbie from a newbie.. setup your shelves as you go, a little at a time. Look ahead a few stops in the diad, ask questions of older drivers, and try to learn everyday.. such as.. what did I do wrong today that I could do better tmw?.. etc.
oh and don't drink too much gatorade.. buy one and water it down.. you'll be better off.

platinum9898

Ive got re study the 5 an 10 since its been 2 weeks since class, i heard they may assk me to say them while driving or recite them

Yes in class you will have to recite them word for word out of the pc and while you drive as you are actually doing the methods. Cram them in your head,

Sent using BrownCafe App

ManInBrown

Ive got re study the 5 an 10 since its been 2 weeks since class, i heard they may assk me to say them while driving or recite them

They will. Also expect an On-car to sit you down once or twice in the morning before you go on road and ask you to write down the 10 point or 5 seeing habits

platinum9898

That 5 and 10 was the worst part for me because i was never good at remembering "word for word" just read it out loud everyday until it just comes out by itself.

I tried just repeating one seeing habit for each day of the week. The 10 point commentary is easier. Just picture yourself actually driving and taking the steps necessary to drive safe. It'll come to you trust. Just need focus. Blurr out your life at least non essential aspects for a while lol.

You got this baby!!!!!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

platinum9898

Hold up hold up...I'm retarded...disregard all i have said please. I don't know how your center works but for what i know, reciting on training route is not required...

Sent using BrownCafe App

twoeddies1

Like the other members stated. Take it stop by stop. The first few days by yourself you are going to feel overwhelmed. It is ok. It is going to happen. Every day will get a bit easier and one day without you even realizing it you will be doing the route and scratching with no problem. Two things I would recommend. Talk to someone who had the route before you and ask for any pointers. Also if its ok in your center come in a bit early to set up your first few stops and when you take your lunch after you eat fix the rest of your stops. This is while you are trying to make book. (Don't attack me guys the setting up part is while he makes book)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Like the other members stated. Take it stop by stop. The first few days by yourself you are going to feel overwhelmed. It is ok. It is going to happen. Every day will get a bit easier and one day without you even realizing it you will be doing the route and scratching with no problem. Two things I would recommend. Talk to someone who had the route before you and ask for any pointers. Also if its ok in your center come in a bit early to set up your first few stops and when you take your lunch after you eat fix the rest of your stops. This is while you are trying to make book. (Don't attack me guys the setting up part is while he makes book)
Pretty much everyone on here advocates working thru break to make book.

I recommend to all new drivers take 4 15 minute breaks. Every 2.5 hours or so. Scarf down a snack and organize your truck. It's about the easiest way to make numbers for sure.

ajax25

I just qualified recently and here are some tips:

1. Smooth is fast, once I figured that out I started getting in early enough in the morning to organize shelves 1-4 and my air stops before leaving.

2. I would take my lunch after completing those shelves/ business stops (you will have to feel this out on your route) take the first 5-10 min of your lunch break to organize shelves 5-8. Being able to simply grab the package you need and be on your way in just a few seconds will really help your speed and honestly your mental state ( no frustration from searching for packages at every stop.)

3. Communicate with your sups and center manager if they like you they are more likely to help you succeed. (Might sound like brown nosing but it's true and you want every advantage you can have.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upsers01

Well as long as your supervisor understand you are new to the company...youl will be good. Make sure you take a lunch, dont skip it because it is a bad habit to break and not worth it.

platinum9898

Looks like you have some great advice here. Try implement these strategies and most importantly keep faith and believe in yourself.

The first few weeks you will be stressed out and feel like a failure but eventually it will all click. Keep a good attitude the whole time and try your best. Drive safe.

Sent using BrownCafe App