State of the Union

WESLA

It is what it is
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about our president referencing UPS in his State of the Union speech...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about our president referencing UPS in his State of the Union speech...
There has been discussion (if one uses that term loosely) in the Current Events forum in the thread titled President Obama.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most boring thing ever. Best thing was Ginsburg falling asleep! Amazing how far the mighty can fall.

As far as the speech goes, the prez is totally detached from reality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I watched the speech and did hear the reference. The President spoke of how CVS and UPS are working with their younger employees to better their futures:

Thanks to Vice President Biden’s great work to update our job training system, we’re connecting community colleges with local employers to train workers to fill high-paying jobs like coding, and nursing, and robotics. Tonight, I’m also asking more businesses to follow the lead of companies like CVS and UPS, and offer more educational benefits and paid apprenticeships — opportunities that give workers the chance to earn higher-paying jobs even if they don’t have a higher education.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
One of those companies was eBay, which Obama cited as an example of how “millions of Americans [are working] in jobs that didn’t even exist 10 or 20 years ago.” That now seems like an unfortunate choice, because less than 24 hours after Obama’s speech, eBay announced it was cutting 2,400 jobs, or about 7 percent of its workforce.

http://freebeacon.com/blog/ebay-lay...-touts-company-in-state-of-the-union-address/
And charging tax on sales. Thanks Obama

bbsam

Staff member
One of those companies was eBay, which Obama cited as an example of how “millions of Americans [are working] in jobs that didn’t even exist 10 or 20 years ago.” That now seems like an unfortunate choice, because less than 24 hours after Obama’s speech, eBay announced it was cutting 2,400 jobs, or about 7 percent of its workforce.

http://freebeacon.com/blog/ebay-lay...-touts-company-in-state-of-the-union-address/
And that 2400 jobs does nothing to dispel the fact that those millions of jobs didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago. Of course, that's the big picture of a massive economy and an economy that has continued to grow year after year.

brown metal coffin

It would be a nightmare for business owners because shopping carts can't distinguish between the different rates of sales tax for all the counties in New York for example. The owner has to go in and figure out what went where by county and then enter that info in online to tax and finance each quarter when they pay their sales tax they collected.

Could you imagine having to do that for 50 states. What small business (mom & pop) could invest that kind of time to do that everyday. That in itself would be a full time job.

Also from my understanding it would affect business that gross over $500k a year but that is still a lot of mom and pops.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you have any idea how much sales tax revenue our states are losing to online sales?

NY has a base sales tax rate of 4% and each county adds their own (with state approval) to that number. It is 4% in the county I live in for a total sales tax of 8%.

NY income tax forms allow for self-reporting of Internet purchases for the purpose of collecting sales tax on those transactions. Very few people fill out that portion of their returns.

brown metal coffin

If you don't fill it out quarterly and keep that money. It's illegal and they will find out and the repercussions will not have been worth it.

Also how do you propose that a business owner calculates every county and every state in America? Wh has that time or resource. This will drive a lot of mom and pops to say screw it.

Also why do we need to level the playing field so that Wal Mart or Amazon can be on the same level as as someone who sells pies online part time or some one occasionally selling on eBay. The bigs will turn these people to dust.