State of the Union

brown metal coffin

It's not. You have to google each county for each zip in that state you do business in and then enter that particular order by county in your accounting software and then when the quarterly's come up you run the report.

Then you enter it in by county on the tax and finance website which will calculate what you should have collected then owe.

bbsam

Staff member
It's not. You have to google each county for each zip in that state you do business in and then enter that particular order by county in your accounting software and then when the quarterly's come up you run the report.

Then you enter it in by county on the tax and finance website which will calculate what you should have collected then owe.
I believe that could and would be streamlined.

oldngray

nowhere special
How hard can it be to charge tax on a destination zip code? That's gotta be a pretty simple computer program.

Not that simple. You can have different tax rates in the same zip code. Usually if it is on edge of a city or an unincorporated area near the city with a lower rate.

bbsam

Staff member
Not that simple. You can have different tax rates in the same zip code. Usually if it is on edge of a city or an unincorporated area near the city with a lower rate.
Then in exchange for the revenue, states may have to streamline their structure.

BrownArmy

I have no doubt that calculating tax rates would be a slightly complicated but ultimately doable enterprise, with immediate benefits that would far outweigh the initial costs.

We can slingshot short-bus sized satellites around planets for gravity-assist maneuvers so that six years later, there's a satellite around Pluto.

Pretty sure we can instantiate a spreadsheet for various tax-rates, just saying.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We went to the moon with the calculation capacity of a cellphone. Pretty sure a program could be written for the tax rate for any single address in the US.

laffter

I hope that an Internet sales tax becomes a reality. It would level the playing field for small businesses and national retailers.

There are loads of regular people and small businesses selling things on Amazon Marketplace and eBay. Currently, they don't have to collect sales tax for out of state sales, making their listings attractive to buyers.

Years ago, I used to frequently sell on eBay. I was a small fish compared to some of the other guys who sold the same stuff. I had to match their prices. If a tax was automatically forced onto every sale, the bigger sellers could lower their item prices to keep the total price the same. It would have hurt someone like me a lot more than them.

And that 2400 jobs does nothing to dispel the fact that those millions of jobs didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago. Of course, that's the big picture of a massive economy and an economy that has continued to grow year after year.
Obama didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago.

moreluck

golden ticket member
81_15898220150121105221.jpg

I watched the speech and did hear the reference. The President spoke of how CVS and UPS are working with their younger employees to better their futures:

Thanks to Vice President Biden’s great work to update our job training system, we’re connecting community colleges with local employers to train workers to fill high-paying jobs like coding, and nursing, and robotics. Tonight, I’m also asking more businesses to follow the lead of companies like CVS and UPS, and offer more educational benefits and paid apprenticeships — opportunities that give workers the chance to earn higher-paying jobs even if they don’t have a higher education.
Sounds like dumb people work at ups. And by the sound of the Q4 performance, maybe that's true.