States begin process of neutering Obamacare

Babagounj

Strength through joy
they been falling for long time now.
obamacare will end when the last insurance company drops out.
it will still be a law. unenforceable but still on the books.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am just Comfortably Numb!

give me your banannas
get_ready_27.jpg

BrownArmy

My mother and father were blind.
They made $0.35 per hour.
I cut yards when I was 10 years old, delivered newspapers when I was 12 and worked in a grocery store when I was 14 and worked my way up to assistant butcher by the time I was 18.
I never ate at a restaurant or even a fast food place until I was 14.
I grew up in my own little Great Depression.
I grew up very poor albeit not in a big city.
I was determined I was not going to be a peasant and worked my ass off.

Now, it's your turn ... what do you know about poverty?

Yikes.

I wasn't looking for a 'Grapes Of Wrath' litany.

I don't believe you, but, if you're asking, I'm a late 70's latch key kid who went through government cheese, welfare, food stamps, etc.

Never thought I was poor; everyone else in my sphere at the time was as poor or more poor.

In either case, let me reframe my post, which I'll admit was ambiguous.

Who are you to comment about the 'poverty-mind'?

Neither you or I embraced what you and Mssr. Carson call 'poverty-mind', but this ain't the forties, fifties, sixties, or seventies.

Current poverty, in the hills and the cities, has nothing to do with 'mindset', and has everything to do with lack of opportunity, lack of community support, lack of real jobs, etc.

People can't 'Jedi-Mind' their way out of that poverty.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now, it's your turn ... what do you know about poverty?

I know nothing about poverty because I've had a paying job ever since I was in 4th grade. What I know about poverty is that a lot of it is self inflicted. I swear every "down and out" person I've ever known drinks like a fish and smokes 2+ packs a day. At 8-9-10 bucks a pack is it any wonder they haven't got a pot to piss in.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I know nothing about poverty because I've had a paying job ever since I was in 4th grade. What I know about poverty is that a lot of it is self inflicted. I swear every "down and out" person I've ever known drinks like a fish and smokes 2+ packs a day. At 8-9-10 bucks a pack is it any wonder they haven't got a pot to piss in.
I'm always behind that guy at the mini mart spending 30 bucks on heaters, lottery tickets and slim jims and driving away in a 78 pinto.