steel tariffs

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Of course, RWNJs and radical religious right give him another mulligan while they keep shouting "but, but Hillary" sold Uranium, while most of the world knows that is a lie. Seriously is there a normal person who doesn't think drumpf tipped him off? It is what drumpf does. Im sure there will be some kickbacks of some form. It is what drumpf does.Here comes Cucker Tarlson saying "if Obama did this he be impeached."
I hadn't heard that one yet, that's pretty funny.

MAKAVELI

Bad timing on his part because steel stocks rose after tariff announcement.
Carl Icahn, a former special adviser to Donald Trump, sold $31.3m of shares in a company heavily dependent on steel imports last week, shortly before Trump’s announcement of new tariffs sent its shares plummeting.

Hope this helps

refineryworker05

Well, trade protectionism is not a simple left right issue among average American citizens.

I know plenty of Americans who think the government should “protect” American industries and whom feel that other nations protect their industries against US products. This was a consistent theme of the Trump campaign.

Usually the political leadership and economists in both America’s political parties are not in favor of protectionist trade policies.

But republican presidents seem to be much more willing to actually go against their party’s orthodoxy around trade protectionism. GWBush did some trade protectionism with steel when he was president. President Obama did not. And now Trump does it again.

I don’t think this stuff helps the overall American economy. But unless it leads to a serious trade war that hurts the economy, my guess is this kind of stuff does not hurt Trump politically.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, trade protectionism is not a simple left right issue among average American citizens.

I know plenty of Americans who think the government should “protect” American industries and whom feel that other nations protect their industries against US products. This was a consistent theme of the Trump campaign.

Usually the political leadership and economists in both America’s political parties are not in favor of protectionist trade policies.

But republican presidents seem to be much more willing to actually go against their party’s orthodoxy around trade protectionism. GWBush did some trade protectionism with steel when he was president. President Obama did not. And now Trump does it again.

I don’t think this stuff helps the overall American economy. But unless it leads to a serious trade war that hurts the economy, my guess is this kind of stuff does not hurt Trump politically.
I posted this earlier ... the final aspects of the tariff restrictions (if any) are not known at this time.
A tariff against China, Vietnam, Iran, etc. while not imposing on our allies will have a different effect than a blanket tariff.
I'll wait until making my opinion on the tariffs until their details are known.
I have always been against tariffs but 'tit for tat' tariffs against the Chinese might be appropriate.

vantexan

Carl Icahn, a former special adviser to Donald Trump, sold $31.3m of shares in a company heavily dependent on steel imports last week, shortly before Trump’s announcement of new tariffs sent its shares plummeting.

Hope this helps
Fair enough, but I responded to the report he sold steel stocks. Steel stocks went up on the announcement, the only sector that did.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fair enough, but I responded to the report he sold steel stocks. Steel stocks went up on the announcement, the only sector that did.
This is what I heard yesterday but I don't feel like investigating what happened last week.
Steel stocks (i.e. - US Steel was up 10% yesterday).

Maybe if someone can post a link, I will read.

vantexan

Had you actually read the article you might not have sounded so stupid.

Doubtful, though.
No, saying he sold "steel stocks" is stupid. The stock market has sectors that move in concert. There is a steel sector. Calling a company that is dependent on steel a steel stock is incorrect. Doubling down by calling others stupid for pointing it out is, as Forrest Gump used to say, stupid is as stupid does.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No, saying he sold "steel stocks" is stupid. The stock market has sectors that move in concert. There is a steel sector. Calling a company that is dependent on steel a steel stock is incorrect. Doubling down by calling others stupid for pointing it out is, as Forrest Gump used to say, stupid is as stupid does.

Sportello

FFS, read the article.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Hope this helps
Helps to identify @Sportello's skulduggery (I like that in a person).
Her link said he sold shares of a steel company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dims have Nancy Pelosi, Repugs have Wilbur Mills:
920x920.png