Sticking it to the part timers!

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
What about the ones that still live in moms basement smoke weed all day and play COD
These are the real heroes
0E0C3F31-E426-4656-8D00-7D8CD2280490.jpeg

Get back in the cagie wagie.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Back in the 80s I worked 20 part time jobs and 3 full time and bought my house for $900. These people need to earn their money and struggle like me.
You forgot about them travailing through the Saharan desert and having to scale Mount Everest with nothing but the bootstraps on their back just to shake the boss’s hand and look them in the eye just to land the job.

R1wonder

Hahah , my opinion on this post . If ya want to be part time that’s cool. But idk why you guys feel like you should make so much so fast . Inflation and the world has changed and the starting pay should be higher for sure . But after that . You get contract raises . Why does everyone feel like they should go to a top rate of pay ? Took me 17 years

PT Car Washer

Hahah , my opinion on this post . If ya want to be part time that’s cool. But idk why you guys feel like you should make so much so fast . Inflation and the world has changed and the starting pay should be higher for sure . But after that . You get contract raises . Why does everyone feel like they should go to a top rate of pay ? Took me 17 years
Took me 90 days to make $.50/hr less then top rate delivery driver as a preloader.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
If I’m part time I get half the amount of hours as full-time. If I’m considered a halfling I should get half what full time gets. I think the guarantee for part timers will be upped to 4 hours which is fair and a wage increase. Long ago they got paid a good wage and people stayed. Now it’s not so much and I can probably say the workload has increased. I don’t plan on staying part time forever though. With my supplement finally opening pt to feeder I’m hoping to land a bid and bide my time until I can eventually go sleeper. I would do package too, but going feeder can help me with a translatable skill in case UPS doesn’t work out. Package not so much.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If I’m part time I get half the amount of hours as full-time. If I’m considered a halfling I should get half what full time gets. I think the guarantee for part timers will be upped to 4 hours which is fair and a wage increase. Long ago they got paid a good wage and people stayed. Now it’s not so much and I can probably say the workload has increased. I don’t plan on staying part time forever though. With my supplement finally opening pt to feeder I’m hoping to land a bid and bide my time until I can eventually go sleeper. I would do package too, but going feeder can help me with a translatable skill in case UPS doesn’t work out. Package not so much.

The law of the jungle is to go (Full Time) as soon as possible. Both the Union and the Company are in agreement that they do not want career part timers and never have. The concept of promotion is to improve your working conditions and improve your pay scales, most of the today's career part timers (Over 20 years) are at the bottom of the Union's priorities today, just study the last 5 contracts.

When I first started part time my hourly wage was close to a driver's, there was no such thing as a (progression)..we paid the same Union dues as a full timer and basically had the same rights. Most everybody who was a part timer back in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000 were attending college, the plan was to provide a good wage and work schedule to get them a degree and have them quit to start their majors. The Company and the Union saw that most of us were staying, the reason was that we would be making the same as a part timer working for UPS then if we started an entry position in our selected majors. That was when the two tier system was placed into our Contracts in the early 80's, the Union wanted us to go full time because for the most part they would be getting addition monetary contributions into their controlled pension and health and welfare plans (97 strike). The Company's plan was to make the job so miserable and physically demanding that most of the part timers would quit after 4 years, before they became vested into a pension or got older and settled down with a family additional (health and welfare costs).

Improved Wages are a given
with this Contract, particularly with the starting pay grades...Correct me if I am wrong but a starting (full time) 22.4 position starts out at 21 buck an hour according to the 2018 Contract. Granted it was negotiated before the pandemic and it's affect on our volume and (profits)...just look how the Company's stock has almost doubled, providing for the most part our management people a comfortable future and retirement.

To simplify: there are three monetary considerations that the Company and the Union have to deal with, the first one is GWI's,
the second one is Health and Welfare Contributions increased. Those are a given, generally hourly increases of 1.00 each. The third is (PENSIONS) again a 1.00 increase with a 40 hour work schedule....That will be the big battle with this Contract, it is the only way that the Company can add to their profits. If they can reduce their monetary contributions going into the Union's (multi-employee pension plans), they would consider that a major victory..they already have control over their own (defined benefit plans) (the IBT/UPS and the UPS Pension Plan for part timers).

The very timing of them eliminating further vesting into their own retirement plans during a Contract year and then switching to a matched 401K is a clear indication they are trying to work out a deal with our pension contributions...After all they cannot ask for pension concessions from the Union if they continue to stuff money into their own pension trusts.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
The law of the jungle is to go (Full Time) as soon as possible. Both the Union and the Company are in agreement that they do not want career part timers and never have. The concept of promotion is to improve your working conditions and improve your pay scales, most of the today's career part timers (Over 20 years) are at the bottom of the Union's priorities today, just study the last 5 contracts.

When I first started part time my hourly wage was close to a driver's, there was no such thing as a (progression)..we paid the same Union dues as a full timer and basically had the same rights. Most everybody who was a part timer back in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000 were attending college, the plan was to provide a good wage and work schedule to get them a degree and have them quit to start their majors. The Company and the Union saw that most of us were staying, the reason was that we would be making the same as a part timer working for UPS then if we started an entry position in our selected majors. That was when the two tier system was placed into our Contracts in the early 80's, the Union wanted us to go full time because for the most part they would be getting addition monetary contributions into their controlled pension and health and welfare plans (97 strike). The Company's plan was to make the job so miserable and physically demanding that most of the part timers would quit after 4 years, before they became vested into a pension or got older and settled down with a family additional (health and welfare costs).

Improved Wages are a given with this Contract, particularly with the starting pay grades...Correct me if I am wrong but a starting (full time) 22.4 position starts out at 21 buck an hour according to the 2018 Contract. Granted it was negotiated before the pandemic and it's affect on our volume and (profits)...just look how the Company's stock has almost doubled, providing for the most part our management people a comfortable future and retirement.

To simplify: there are three monetary considerations that the Company and the Union have to deal with, the first one is GWI's,
the second one is Health and Welfare Contributions increased. Those are a given, generally hourly increases of 1.00 each. The third is (PENSIONS) again a 1.00 increase with a 40 hour work schedule....That will be the big battle with this Contract, it is the only way that the Company can add to their profits. If they can reduce their monetary contributions going into the Union's (multi-employee pension plans), they would consider that a major victory..they already have control over their own (defined benefit plans) (the IBT/UPS and the UPS Pension Plan for part timers).

The very timing of them eliminating further vesting into their own retirement plans during a Contract year and then switching to a matched 401K is a clear indication they are trying to work out a deal with our pension contributions...After all they cannot ask for pension concessions from the Union if they continue to stuff money into their own pension trusts.
The only way I can rationalize staying part time is if it’s just for the benefits and/or to supplement another job or like you said something while attending college. I look at it like an apprenticeship with going fulltime like journeying out with little milestones along the way. Like passing my probation, then getting my bennies, then getting my vacation, and so on so forth. I haven’t heard any updates with negotiations and I think they’re also going for the removal of PVDs which never should have happened. If they went after our pensions I am almost certain the rank and file and the union will strike. Tbh, it’s another reason why I came here for and for them to take it away would be terrible.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The ones I know work another FT job or take care of small children or elderly parents or both. But you could be right as the pitiful wages do not attract very many quality applicants.
Don’t have to be that high a quality to throw boxes on the back of a truck I’ve seen folks goofy as hell make decent preloaders

Its_a_me

Improved Wages are a given with this Contract, particularly with the starting pay grades...Correct me if I am wrong but a starting (full time) 22.4 position starts out at 21 buck an hour according to the 2018 Contract. Granted it was negotiated before the pandemic and it's affect on our volume and (profits)...just look how the Company's stock has almost doubled, providing for the most part our management people a comfortable future and retirement.

Tell me about the: lack of sensors recording every movement, stick shifts, paper forms and clipboards, nooners you could pull, and the turkeys grandpa. Because they are about as relevant to today's company as your examples.

GWI, that is an earned benefit for contributing to the success of the company every year--not meant as a placeholder to cover inflation.
During periods of inflation, the company must not only reward success but also pay for inflation. COLA was meant to cover the extremes during the contract. Otherwise, employees are losing purchasing power and will seek other jobs. The company's bargaining power is greatly diminished as the unemployment rate remains so low companies are hanging onto workers rather than lay them off for fear of the hiring issues that recently haunted them (minus the tech industry and everyone that has ever used a DIAD knows that UPS isn't a tech company).

Per the last contract from '22-'23 COLA is not applicable--as the new contract is supposed to cover any wage increase necessary. So with 5.3% actual inflation (and likely more as June's numbers come out July 12th) since the last wage adjustment: the GWI has to be bigger than the 2% period during which the last GWI's were negotiated. Again, no COLA adjustment for the past year is coming except in the GWI. Then you add in the company's success during the last contract and corresponding wage reward adjustments---and with the company's profits skyrocketing so will be the union's wage request. So of course wages are going up to be a higher GWI.

Where you could see the most is with PT'ers as their wages have not kept up with the wage increase for the lowest paid workers (in other words all those companies competing for people off-the-streets that have raised their wages because they can't find workers while UPS union contract locked in starting wages). UPS addressed that with market rate increases (basically shaming the Union for awful negotiating) for some--but certainly not all. Then pulled it back probably expecting a spike in jobless claims by a slowing economy-- that frankly hasn't happened--where new hires would be easier to find the next time they needed them (at peak). Those starting salaries creeping into existing PT'ers wages with much more seniority caused friction that the union must address. So the historically ignored class of worker and market conditions is forcing the union to act as it can't neglect their plight in wages any longer. Ignore a problem so long and the little thing becomes a big thing.

And that $1.00 you are proposing to both Health/Welfare and the pensions doesn't cover the higher inflation rates of today let alone those expected in the future. You know the doctor's office that also had to pay their staff for inflation that now charges a higher cost that gets passed along to your health insurance and so on. That pension that looked like it could afford a new full size car looks more like a sub compact retirement payout.

The law of the jungle WAS UPS was a path to a long career that provided a middle class lifestyle. However, that myth WAS shattered long ago. The money and benefits might still be protected by the union--but actually enjoying it: well that's been gone for a while. Good luck getting to little Timmy and Suzie to anything extracurricular. And that wife of yours, well she won't be eating dinner alone forever. You may view it as a joke or whatever, but the job has ruined many marriages in my building--plus one driver's career who chose to quit when given the ultimatum by his wife.

It has been well known by everyone since the late 90's that UPS part-time positions would no longer attract college students like they had before. Every academic predicted a greying population filling jobs for benefits (and the consequences including increasing health care costs and injuries) while college aged students pursued other endeavors. The looming Boomer retirement cycle means a wave of employees that will further diminish the supply of labor. Sprinkle in Obamacare and being able to stay on your parents insurance until 26 and goodbye all but the poor working classes' kids. UPS has been very late to the game as far as changing wages and benefits to attract workers. They've had PT sups filling in gaps and claiming hiring freeze for years. The union targeting grievance procedures is a way to pressure the company to pay more as those gaps will tighten. /

Studying the last X contracts means you are studying concessionary agreements made by the Hoffa regime. A regime that was so buddy-buddy with the management at UPS, I wouldn't be surprised if they are meeting on the golf course in their lakefront and golf course backed houses as you are reading this. Holding those contracts up as priorities of anything would come to the conclusion that the union is doomed and they should dissolve now to save the cost to members.

Companies are after pensions--not exactly noteworthy news. Look around at who still features the benefit. Look back 5 years--it was more before. Yet, if the company goes after it the counter-punch is the union goes after something just as big to balance it (at least that is what a non-Hoffa regime would do). The company crying poverty is nothing new---the amount of profits over the course of the last contract make even the most pro company stooge's argument just sound ridiculous.

The analogy is playing at a poker table with a losing hand when you know they guy across from you will go all-in. That's what is different about this negotiation. Sometimes market conditions settles contracts rather than individual demands.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Tell me about the: lack of sensors recording every movement, stick shifts, paper forms and clipboards, nooners you could pull, and the turkeys grandpa. Because they are about as relevant to today's company as your examples.

GWI, that is an earned benefit for contributing to the success of the company every year--not meant as a placeholder to cover inflation.
During periods of inflation, the company must not only reward success but also pay for inflation. COLA was meant to cover the extremes during the contract. Otherwise, employees are losing purchasing power and will seek other jobs. The company's bargaining power is greatly diminished as the unemployment rate remains so low companies are hanging onto workers rather than lay them off for fear of the hiring issues that recently haunted them (minus the tech industry and everyone that has ever used a DIAD knows that UPS isn't a tech company).

Per the last contract from '22-'23 COLA is not applicable--as the new contract is supposed to cover any wage increase necessary. So with 5.3% actual inflation (and likely more as June's numbers come out July 12th) since the last wage adjustment: the GWI has to be bigger than the 2% period during which the last GWI's were negotiated. Again, no COLA adjustment for the past year is coming except in the GWI. Then you add in the company's success during the last contract and corresponding wage reward adjustments---and with the company's profits skyrocketing so will be the union's wage request. So of course wages are going up to be a higher GWI.

Where you could see the most is with PT'ers as their wages have not kept up with the wage increase for the lowest paid workers (in other words all those companies competing for people off-the-streets that have raised their wages because they can't find workers while UPS union contract locked in starting wages). UPS addressed that with market rate increases (basically shaming the Union for awful negotiating) for some--but certainly not all. Then pulled it back probably expecting a spike in jobless claims by a slowing economy-- that frankly hasn't happened--where new hires would be easier to find the next time they needed them (at peak). Those starting salaries creeping into existing PT'ers wages with much more seniority caused friction that the union must address. So the historically ignored class of worker and market conditions is forcing the union to act as it can't neglect their plight in wages any longer. Ignore a problem so long and the little thing becomes a big thing.

And that $1.00 you are proposing to both Health/Welfare and the pensions doesn't cover the higher inflation rates of today let alone those expected in the future. You know the doctor's office that also had to pay their staff for inflation that now charges a higher cost that gets passed along to your health insurance and so on. That pension that looked like it could afford a new full size car looks more like a sub compact retirement payout.

The law of the jungle WAS UPS was a path to a long career that provided a middle class lifestyle. However, that myth WAS shattered long ago. The money and benefits might still be protected by the union--but actually enjoying it: well that's been gone for a while. Good luck getting to little Timmy and Suzie to anything extracurricular. And that wife of yours, well she won't be eating dinner alone forever. You may view it as a joke or whatever, but the job has ruined many marriages in my building--plus one driver's career who chose to quit when given the ultimatum by his wife.

It has been well known by everyone since the late 90's that UPS part-time positions would no longer attract college students like they had before. Every academic predicted a greying population filling jobs for benefits (and the consequences including increasing health care costs and injuries) while college aged students pursued other endeavors. The looming Boomer retirement cycle means a wave of employees that will further diminish the supply of labor. Sprinkle in Obamacare and being able to stay on your parents insurance until 26 and goodbye all but the poor working classes' kids. UPS has been very late to the game as far as changing wages and benefits to attract workers. They've had PT sups filling in gaps and claiming hiring freeze for years. The union targeting grievance procedures is a way to pressure the company to pay more as those gaps will tighten. /

Studying the last X contracts means you are studying concessionary agreements made by the Hoffa regime. A regime that was so buddy-buddy with the management at UPS, I wouldn't be surprised if they are meeting on the golf course in their lakefront and golf course backed houses as you are reading this. Holding those contracts up as priorities of anything would come to the conclusion that the union is doomed and they should dissolve now to save the cost to members.

Companies are after pensions--not exactly noteworthy news. Look around at who still features the benefit. Look back 5 years--it was more before. Yet, if the company goes after it the counter-punch is the union goes after something just as big to balance it (at least that is what a non-Hoffa regime would do). The company crying poverty is nothing new---the amount of profits over the course of the last contract make even the most pro company stooge's argument just sound ridiculous.

The analogy is playing at a poker table with a losing hand when you know they guy across from you will go all-in. That's what is different about this negotiation. Sometimes market conditions settles contracts rather than individual demands.

Damn..:goodpost: