stock

Babagounj

Strength through joy
For Class A shares contact Mellon Investor Services or what ever they are calling themselves today. 888-663-8325
All funds will be transfered electronically in one working week, except when you buy shares ; they take your money the same day.
The price received for sold shares will be an average price for that day. If you wish to receive a different price then transfer your Class A ( you need Form 2011 from Mellon ) to another broker [ thus making them Class B ] . Class B shares are what is traded daily on the stock market.

The only difference between Class A and B is voting power . One Class A = ten Class B

tieguy

Banned
Its a blue chip stock like any other. Also has a pretty predictable cycle. If you bought at 68 over the years and sold at 75 you would have made a killing.

I personally wish we would go private again. I'm not crazy about catering to the whims of someone who is looking for a stock that will climb 50 points in a three month period.

I think we lost our soul once we went public.

Its a blue chip stock like any other. Also has a pretty predictable cycle. If you bought at 68 over the years and sold at 75 you would have made a killing.

I personally wish we would go private again. I'm not crazy about catering to the whims of someone who is looking for a stock that will climb 50 points in a three month period.

I think we lost our soul once we went public.
I agree with you. :surprised: I think a huge part of todays problems @ UPS can be attributed to going public.

Channahon

As frustrating as it is to own UPS stock, there is still a nice dividend being paid. Based on today's economy, any investment income is welcome.

Since going public the dividend has increased from .17 to .45 per share.

FAVREFAN

As frustrating as it is to own UPS stock, there is still a nice dividend being paid. Based on today's economy, any investment income is welcome.

Since going public the dividend has increased from .17 to .45 per share.
The div. is currently around 2.54%. That is well below inflation. Don't forget if you bought on day one as a publicly traded company around the close that day you are down 10% today without the discount. That was almost 9 years ago. Buying and holding UPS is a very bad so called "investment". If you dollar cost averaged after 911 until recently you are up pretty good. But UPS pushes it's stock on employees and that is where I get pissed off. Many people don't know any better. They shouldn't be misled.

Channahon

The div. is currently around 2.54%. That is well below inflation. But UPS pushes it's stock on employees and that is where I get pissed off. Many people don't know any better. They shouldn't be misled.

I totally agree, and will say that I never participated in the discounted employee stock purchase plan, nor had I ever advised any UPS employee to particpate. I did give presentations at division meetings for informational purposes only.

My point on the dividend is simply, there aren't many investments out there that are attractive with today's economy.

It's gotten to the point, even my financial advisors are scrambling to find somewhere to put my money to get a decent return. As I hold them accountable to make me money, and they know I can bail anytime, however, the market is what the market is right now.

It's just ugly out there right now, gas prices, utilities, groceries, etc. I just don't see how people can save any money and stay out of debt anymore.

The other day I was at the grocery store and carton of 18 eggs cost $3.69 and I asked my husband " Are there less chickens today than a couple weeks ago?":whiteflag:

pretzel_man

I totally agree, and will say that I never participated in the discounted employee stock purchase plan, nor had I ever advised any UPS employee to particpate. I did give presentations at division meetings for informational purposes only.

My point on the dividend is simply, there aren't many investments out there that are attractive with today's economy.

It's gotten to the point, even my financial advisors are scrambling to find somewhere to put my money to get a decent return. As I hold them accountable to make me money, and they know I can bail anytime, however, the market is what the market is right now.

It's just ugly out there right now, gas prices, utilities, groceries, etc. I just don't see how people can save any money and stay out of debt anymore.

The other day I was at the grocery store and carton of 18 eggs cost $3.69 and I asked my husband " Are there less chickens today than a couple weeks ago?":whiteflag:

Channahon:

I seem to be much better at taking care of UPS' money than my own. I still own way too much UPS stock and because of that, I've seen my net worth stay flat for quite some time.

Like you, I do not suggest to the people that report to me that UPS stock is a great investment right now. I don't see the growth there that I received.

I think the non growth of stock is a major issue and the cause of most of the resentment in the ranks.

The old thought that you should get UPS stock and keep it forever is not practical today.

However, there is something that we were taught that is still applicable now.

We got MIP, pretended it didn't exist, and watched it grow over a long career. This needs to remain as a concept.

Our young supervisors should get their MIP, put it in a 401k, IRA, other investment, and maybe some of it in UPS stock at a 10% discount.

My big concern is when I see supervisor after supervisor take their MIP in cash.

I know that they have bills, needs, and mortgages. So did you and I. After 30 years of saving, retirement looks safe and secure.

They need to see it that way.

P-Man

FAVREFAN

Yeah, I saw something that said eggs were up 11% nationwide in the last six months. How about milk and O.J.? It's starting to get pretty serious with these gas prices. Energy is beginning to affect everything.

What if you put 100 shares in a brokerage account and sold a covered call once a month. The april 70 call is about 2.20. That's $220 that expires on april 19. If the option is executed you would get $7220 (minus comissions) for those 100 shares. If it's not executed you keep the $220 and could sell another call the next month out (If you got $220 a month. that's about 38% a year) Plus the dividend.

UPS has been a better value than many other stocks over the last 9 years. Take Bear Stearns for example $67 on Wednesday, $2 tomorrow.
Enron, MCI, Global Crossing bankrupt.
Krispy Kreme was once a high flyer

Microsoft $45 in Nov. 1999 $28 today (king of cash)
GE $43 in Nov. 1999 $34 today
Intel $40 in Nov. 1999 $21 today
Home Depot $53 in Nov. 1999 $26 today
Priceline $372 in Nov. 1999 $118 today

FAVREFAN

What if you put 100 shares in a brokerage account and sold a covered call once a month. The april 70 call is about 2.20. That's $220 that expires on april 19. If the option is executed you would get $7220 (minus comissions) for those 100 shares. If it's not executed you keep the $220 and could sell another call the next month out (If you got $220 a month. that's about 38% a year) Plus the dividend.
So why are you still at UPS? Not taking your own medicine?
I'm long the market. I'm a value guy. Dollar cost average the indexes and buy some individuals that are beaten down from time to time. It's worked until now. No-one knows where this is going or where it will end.

FAVREFAN

UPS has been a better value than many other stocks over the last 9 years. Take Bear Stearns for example $67 on Wednesday, $2 tomorrow.
Enron, MCI, Global Crossing bankrupt.
Krispy Kreme was once a high flyer

Microsoft $45 in Nov. 1999 $28 today (king of cash)
GE $43 in Nov. 1999 $34 today
Intel $40 in Nov. 1999 $21 today
Home Depot $53 in Nov. 1999 $26 today
Priceline $372 in Nov. 1999 $118 today
Good luck buying up that UPS stock. At least you won't lose much capital over time. Right now I'm salivating over C, AMTD AND INTC.

traveler

Where next? Venice

It should be this easy. One call contract is for 100 shares. For one contract (100 shares at risk) you would receive $2.20 less a commission of, let's say for argument sake, $10.00. If the stock did not hit $70 in the period of the contract you would lose $7.80. Now if you have 1,000 shares and sell 10 covered call contracts you would get $22.00 less the $10.00 commission or $12.00 if the stock does not hit $70 in the period of the call. A whopping profit of $12.00.

It should be this easy. One call contract is for 100 shares. For one contract (100 shares at risk) you would receive $2.20 less a commission of, let's say for argument sake, $10.00. If the stock did not hit $70 in the period of the contract you would lose $7.80. Now if you have 1,000 shares and sell 10 covered call contracts you would get $22.00 less the $10.00 commission or $12.00 if the stock does not hit $70 in the period of the call. A whopping profit of $12.00.

The 2.20 is per share (2.20 x 100 = 220 per contract) If the call doesn't get executed you keep your 100 shares. Why would you have a loss? If you already own the shares, what are you risking? (2.20 / 70 per share would be a 3% return for that month)

So why are you still at UPS? Not taking your own medicine?
I'm long the market. I'm a value guy. Dollar cost average the indexes and buy some individuals that are beaten down from time to time. It's worked until now. No-one knows where this is going or where it will end.

Because I'm just a dumb truck driver...I can't afford the 35% tax rate on all my income. That was my point you just don't where the market will be. I bought some Intc calls a couple weeks ago and made about $500.
Did you buy Intc at 19.85?

FAVREFAN

Because I'm just a dumb truck driver...I can't afford the 35% tax rate on all my income. That was my point you just don't where the market will be. I bought some Intc calls a couple weeks ago and made about $500.
Did you buy Intc at 19.85?
I believe my current dollar cost average is $20.40 I thought it was a sure bet with it's pe being so low right now and AMD is just about done. But after watching Bear Stearns employees walking out with boxes today.....nothing is for sure other than uncertainty. This is beginning to affect every sector/industry.

I believe my current dollar cost average is $20.40 I thought it was a sure bet with it's pe being so low right now and AMD is just about done. But after watching Bear Stearns employees walking out with boxes today.....nothing is for sure other than uncertainty. This is beginning to affect every sector/industry.

That's cool, but where is your exit point? You should always know your exit point before you buy a stock.

browniehound

Chan,
I respect you for the fact that you never pushed the DESPP on any of your employees (many of us have no clue). Was there a time when managers were encouraged to "advise" its employees to participate in the plan?

I ask this because there was a period of 3 or 4 years (around '01 to '05) that I was "advised" to participate in this plan. While I am smart enough not to take financial advice from someone whose's job is to manage packages, (I was encouraged at least 3 times privately in our one-vision talks), there are many hourlies that don't know any better.

These people think, UPS: great company, great dividend, discounted pucrchase, in business for 100 years, payroll deductions, I can't go wrong.

All of that may be true, but it may not be the best place for this employee to put his money depending on his financial situation. Our hourlies shouldn't be getting financial advice from our managers.

We have proffesional money mangers who went to school for 6 years and practice their job 12 hours a day make mistakes in money management. Now, we are getting financial advice from someone whose job is packages 12 hours a day????

I haven't even heard "please check with a financial proffesional before purchasing any securities"

Many drivers I speak with that own UPS stock think its a great long term investment. It may or may not be. When oil reaches $180 per barrell are you going to the bookstore to get a book or order it from Amazon and pay $30 in shipping costs?

My guess its going to be very( actually I mean VERY) costly to transport goods in the future, and I think UPS and its stock price will suffer.:dissapointed:

Brownie.