Strange "Lost"/"Replaced" Package

troutster

Hi,
I have a very strange situation happening with package and was wondering if anyone here could offer any insight. In the past you have all been very helpful, so I figured I would try the experts again!

Summary:
  • Mailed a box UPS Store (Box w/ a camera for service).
  • This had a pre-paid label provided by Nikon taped securely to the package.
  • Tracking shows it was delivered.
  • Recipeint (NIKON) says its an envelope, not a box.
  • So basically, hand the UPS store a box w/ pre-printed label attached. But the box never makes it to the destination, an envelope w/ the label does. Not sure where this could have occured. IN store, or at some other point along the way or at the destination.
I know it was a box that was handed to the UPS store person, my question is, do you have any way to see if it was ever weighed? Maybe that would prove it was received into the system or something? It almost seems like the UPS Store switched it, but I dont know how that could ever be proven.

The tracking # is 1Z8367188753265445

Was able to get Nikon to send me some pictures and it appears that the printed label they sent me is on a envelope mailer, not a box. But its hard to tell whether or not it was cut off the original box. I can post those if someone thinks it would help.

Thanks in advance. I realize its a long shot, but I figured it was worth a (long)shot.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Have you talked to the UPS Store manager?
That would be the place to start.

The package was manifested with a weight of 2 pounds.

1-800-PICK-UPS can assist you with this problem.

troutster

The store wasnt helpful. Basically said, "All we do is hand packages to the truck driver. Whatever you gave us, we gave to him." Looking at the pictures Nikon sent, it was pretty easy to see how it was peeled off a box (you can see cardboard remnents) and stuck on an envelope w/ a lot of tape to cover it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Call 1-800-PICK-UPS and file a claim.
Hopefully you insured it for the full amount of the contents.
Also, since Nikon is the payer of the transportation charges, they may assume the "shipper" role and they may have to file the claim.
Good luck.

troutster

Yup. THe 800 number says Nikon has to take the ball and run w/ it. Any way to see the current status of the "investigation" mentioned in the track? LOoks like Nikon got the ball rolling, but nothing since 7/1.

satellitedriver

Troutster,
You never said that the contents were damaged, just the packaging.
What is your claim?
-(besides it got to Nikon in a different pkg.)-
Did Nikon tell you that the merchandise was broken in shipment?
Repack is common when the outer shell of the merchandise is damaged.
If the merchandise was damaged in shipment, the onus is upon UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Troutster,
You never said that the contents were damaged, just the packaging.
What is your claim?
-(besides it got to Nikon in a different pkg.)-
Did Nikon tell you that the merchandise was broken in shipment?
Repack is common when the outer shell of the merchandise is damaged.
If the merchandise was damaged in shipment, the onus is upon UPS.

Sat, it sounds to me as though the camera never made it to Nikon. The label was apparently ripped off of the box and crudely taped to an envelope, which did make it to Nikon. Normally the liability would be with the UPS Store but this is a prepaid drop off so there would be no liability on their part as they simply added it to the outbound pile. Since the shipment was prepaid the insurance, if any, would have also been prepaid.

The onus is on the OP to prove that he did ship a camera and not an envelope. I am afraid that he will be unable to and will end up on the losing end of this claim.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would place a call to Nikon Corporate and speak with a high end service rep. Some one got a free Nikon out of the deal. Nikon may be able to get something going on UPS' end that he isn't able to. The fault lies with UPS/UPS Store. Some one from the store or an employee of UPS did this. Common sense dictates. I am not implying theft, just that the label was placed on the envelope somewhere, either at the store or within UPS. Could be the box the camera is in be sitting in overgoods(the place where packages, that we are unsure what to do with because they have no identifying traits go.)? If someone here has the ability to contact overgoods and have them search, it would be nice. I have seen packages found by them and returned to the customer before.

troutster

So, looking at the pictures, it looks like one of the labels is under the "shipping" label that was printed out from Nikon. Check it out below.

What is the purpose of that little label? Any idea how it could have gotten under the printed shipping label?

If you look closely you can see how there are cardboard remnants under the tape on the label from the original box....
label_2.jpg

troutster

Well, I have the pictures, and was looking again.

I noticed that there is a label that appears to be under the "shipping" label covered in tape. When would this label be added? How could it get below the shipping label? Any thoughts?

Also, take a look, there is brown remnants of the cardboard from the box it was shipped in under the tape. Looks like it was clearly messed with to me.

label_2.jpg

troutster

Also, I know the 2lbs on the label was mentioned as a manifest weight. At some point, along the way, would the package not be weighed to confirm if it matches? Would that information be stored anywhere?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also, I know the 2lbs on the label was mentioned as a manifest weight. At some point, along the way, would the package not be weighed to confirm if it matches? Would that information be stored anywhere?

Packages that are processed using our software are normally weighed with a scale that is attached to the computer so there is no need to re-weigh them. Packages that are manually processed and the posted weight does not match the physical weight can be taken out of the system to be inspected and, if a discrepancy exists, the shipping charges will be adjusted and a surcharge added. This does not happen very often and packages are rarely re-weighed after entering our system.

troutster

Ah, thanks. I posted a message with a picture and another question. Its in moderation.

Was curious about that weight, thanks for the info.

troutster

Wow. the more times I look at this the stranger it gets. Look at the tracking detail. the 1st entry is
United States06/20/20115:23 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

But that is after it was delivered. How can that be? Could it have to do with the extra, small label (under the "moved") one? That post w/ picture is still waiting for a moderator to approve it for you all to see.

Taco

troutster--are you in Jersey? If so, you are technically the shipper according to the tracking.

troutster

Okay, well Nikon is going to replace the camera. No idea if they have decided someone at their end grabbed it or en-route at UPS. I guess the claim is their problem.

Still curious about the little label in the picture above though.

Taco

Still curious about the little label in the picture above though.
The one that says "ZEIT-4000"? That tag tells the loader where they're supposed to put it on the package car (and which car to put it on), and tells the driver where it's supposed to be on the shelf. 95% of the time the package is not where it's supposed to be.

troutster

The one that says "ZEIT-4000"? That tag tells the loader where they're supposed to put it on the package car (and which car to put it on), and tells the driver where it's supposed to be on the shelf. 95% of the time the package is not where it's supposed to be.

Thats the one. Kind of looks like it is under the shipping label. How could that have happened?