Strange "Lost"/"Replaced" Package

Taco

Thats the one. Kind of looks like it is under the shipping label. How could that have happened?
At some point someone thought the shipping label wasn't staying on the package well enough so they retaped it.

The preloader definitely meant to put the envelope on the PC. Those stickers don't come off boxes and get re-stuck on anything very easy. There are a couple styles; some can be retaped easier. Also, the tracking number and address on the tag match the info on the label.

All I can say conclusively is somewhere between when you left the UPS store and when the letter got put on the PC, this label got attached to a letter. Could have fallen off, could have been taken off, could be something else entirely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would normally indicate a re-wrap but since you shipped a box and Nikon received an envelope it means whomever now has your camera took the time to recreate the original label as best he could. The "little label" is called a PAL (Preload Assist Label) which tells the preloader where the pkg is supposed to be loaded on the car. A re-wrap is where the original box is damaged but the contents are OK. One of our clerks will repack the item in to a new box, remove the shipping label and put it on the new box. The clerk will not transfer the PAL as the package has to be rescanned before being loaded.

Taco

whomever now has your camera took the time to recreate the original label as best he could.
I dunno, as the OP stated and the picture shows, there is cardboard residue near some of the label. That and the fact that there's excessive tape over the top half makes me think the label was cut off the box and taped on to an empty letter.

troutster

It's the original label that was on the package. it was creased just like that at the time given to the UPS store. So either someone duplicated even that, or carefully pulled it off the box.