strange shipping label

B

blkcloud

I bought a chainsaw last year on ebay paid the 10-12 dollars for the shipping and when it came it had a "overgoods" label on it..said something like this package is being returned to you from overgoods..does that mean I paid the guy to ship it and he stuck a overgoods label on it and made it look like it was being returned to me therefore he pocketed the shipping money and made ups actually pay for the shipping?? I showed the label to 2-3 drivers and they all shrugged their shoulders and said they didnt have any idea what it was..

W

wily_old_vet

A package gets into the overgoods arena when the outside shipping label is missing or illegible. The pkg is opened to see if there is another label on the inside to tell us where the package is going. If unable to find any kind of delivery or return address the package is sent to national overgoods and what happens after that I don't know. Just out of curiousity if you got this package over a year ago why are you asking about it now?

B

blkcloud

I did ask about it..I asked the 2-3 drivers that come in here..also I just found this site a few weeks ago and didnt know about it a year ago..I just remembered getting the saw when i got through posting my other topic about where overgoods go..what was strange about this shipment was I received the saw about 3-4 days after i placed the order..it didnt have time to go to any overgoods center...

R

racerx

When we wind up with an item in our system and we cant identify the shipper or the consignee, it is sent to our overgoods department, inventoried in an overgoods database, and held for 3 months. If we cannot locate the shipper or consignee in that time, we sell lots of overgoods to salvage companies who then sell the items on the open market. It is my guess that the saw you bought was at one time, in our overgoods department and was never claimed. UPS then sold it to a salvage company who then turned around and sold it to you over eBay. I would venture to guess a lot of items on eBay are overgoods or salvage from small package and LTL companies..

B

blkcloud

the saw originally went to a home depot,it still had the original label on it..the label that was addressed to me at my work place was a overgoods label with my name in the address box. it said the package was being returned to me from overgoods...not knowing the story behind it anyone who saw it would think i had a shipment sent back to me.. but actually it was a order i had placed..??

B

blkcloud

do ou know where any of these overgoods warehouses are located??I have tried for a month now to find the one for my area, i'd like to buy a truck load of the stuff..I called my local hub and they were supposed to have some one call me but no one has ever called.

D

dannyboy

"I would venture to guess a lot of items on eBay are overgoods or salvage from small package and LTL companies.."

Or pilfered by employees that know and work the system?

d

R

racerx

True, Danny. But in this case, I dont think anyone pilfering in the hub would go through the effort of attaching an overgoods label.. Unless they stole the package while it was in overgoods..

Hmmmmmmmmm..

D

dannyboy

I caught a group that was over labeling packages from the over goods department in Atlanta. The guy was sending them here to his closest friends. All sorts of things.

Yes susie, I do have experience with this aspect of the job. I have caught or helped catch thieves at least 5 times in my career. And all but once it was a UPS employee. And one was a person I thought a friend. Until she tried to use me to steal packages.

Speaking of which, you never answered my question, why did you get canned?

d

O

over9five

"I quit, to my management team's dismay."

You must have been quite the brown-nose.