subcontractor mechanic

John Blake

Trying to find out some info on subcontractor mechanics. Is it ok for ups to hire single guy as subcontractor, treat him like an employee, and do it for years? Subcontractor is responsible to pay own taxes, limited to certain hours per week and doesn’t know if he’s going to get paid in a timely fashion. All the other mechanics in the state seem to be union too. Can anybody shed any light on this?

trickpony1

Change your username to something other than your real name.
Here's how:
- hover the pointy thing (cursor) over your username in the upper right corner toolbar;
- a menu will drop down;
-"username change" is in the lower right corner, third from the bottom;
- click on it.

Like the rest of us, choose a cute username that conceals your identity.

John Blake

Haha us wives just want to protect our husbands. It’s in our nature. All I was asking for is somebody to shed light on subcontractor mechanics. I’ve met a lot of union mechanics that doesn’t believe what ups is doing with subcontractors is right. My husbands fleet is the same size as all the other fleets in the 200 mile radius yet ups claims his fleet is too small to make him union.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
What state or local? Mechanics are included in the bargaining unit but the language they operate under is different depending on location.

Your husband will likely have seniority, wages, tools, and report-to provisions somewhere in the regional/local contract.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
He is a subcontractor he has no rights.
He can talk to the local union to get a position created for him but runs the risk they will hire someone else.