Summer feeder jobs?

brown67

I had a truck driver (cdl) guy ask me about hauling for UPS during the summers and at christmas. He owns his own truck and wonders if UPS hires owner operators to move freight during these times. I had no idea if we hire just drivers or if we use owner operators with their own trucks as well. If you have any info this or link let me know. I looked at UPSjobs.com and couldn't find much there. He wants to know what they pay.

SmithBarney

Yes UPS does use contract hires during (winter)peak, to move feeders..
most of the ones we got were horribly unreliable, we lost a trailer for
two days.. then he decided to show up.

So the answer is yes, but I couldn't imagine where to look to find out how
to get the job.

rushfan

They are called jypos (think that's right). One day we had a couple of their tractors in our parking lot. Only one engine was running. I wonder what they were doing.

tieguy

Banned
We use them during peak between thanksgiving weekend and christmas to help us handle the spike. They are contracted out of each region office and through intermodal in Louky. Your local feeder manager would probably know who the region coordinator is in charge of peak contractors or he could get you the number for intermodal in Louky.

A

Anonymous GearJammer

You must be eager to go back to pkg. car brown67. Last peak they contracted out several more runs than normal. At least a dozen of which we have always covered out of our feeder dept. So many that when every driver walked in the door to punch in they were asked if they wanted to go home. And you may think no big deal right you're guaranteed 8 hrs. So, instead of running the peak job that averaged 10-12 hrs. that the drivers bid because the company contracted them out they were made to stack pallets and sweep trailers out in freezing cold (highs barely breaking 0 friend usually) for eight hours or go home unpaid.

local804

We have guys on waiting lists for 18+ years before they even get a shot to drive the big rigs. I cant see why someone with a class A will work for 1 month out of the year with UPS when there are tons of jobs for them now. The commercial driving school that UPS uses places a very high majority of its students in entry level jobs making very good money. One of the UPS drivers in the class said that for every student the class has, there are 5 jobs waiting to be filled.(might have something to do with our state)
As far as summer jobs, no way

raceanoncr

We have guys on waiting lists for 18+ years before they even get a shot to drive the big rigs. I cant see why someone with a class A will work for 1 month out of the year with UPS when there are tons of jobs for them now. The commercial driving school that UPS uses places a very high majority of its students in entry level jobs making very good money. One of the UPS drivers in the class said that for every student the class has, there are 5 jobs waiting to be filled.(might have something to do with our state)
As far as summer jobs, no way

What "commercial driving school that UPS uses"? Ain't none here.

School here consists of "crack", "highly trained" UPS supervisors (?) book-learnin you in classroom then taking you out in one of our highly specialized tractors for intense training and then taking you with single trailer and eventually double or triple trainers to complete your course.

local804

The driving school they use is Commercial Drving School on Patton Ave in Babylon NY. They are certified from NYS and teach you the correct way to drive a rig. They dont give you a map, keys and tell you your not working fast enough every day, they will show you the correct way.

raceanoncr

Amazing! Didn't know of such! Amazing in that UPS thinks THEIR way is the ONLY way! And would TRUST somebody else to do this.

We've got supes here that go to Chi school and come back "Top Guns"! Meaning (what we get from them, of course) that they aced the school, was #1, numero ono, Tom Cruise! We even had one come back that said they asked HIM to teach the rest of the course!!!! Boy, do we get em!

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
that crash course that ups train class A drivers is kinda bs. i didn't have enough time to pratice anything, the sup didn't have much patience and alway hurry me through the lessons. But at the end i passed and scored well to get my A licence. if i can learn this in 2 weeks vs what ppl go through in 2 month of training, then i can handle any rig as well as they do.........

amclain

Owner-operators are the same as Sub-Contractor as per ART. 1,32, 26. But, UPS does hire Contractor carrriers via TRucking Broker in the HUb operations areas of the USA. UPS does hire some CDL drivers for PEak Season (14.50 same as new hire full time employee).

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Owner-operators are the same as Sub-Contractor as per ART. 1,32, 26. But, UPS does hire Contractor carrriers via TRucking Broker in the HUb operations areas of the USA. UPS does hire some CDL drivers for PEak Season (14.50 same as new hire full time employee).

I've discussed the sub-contracting before somewhere on here. And yes, you're right: in the hubs, there is a lot of subcontracting. I'm not picking that fight with management because I know nothing about feeder operationally. Kind of off-topic: I do see a lot of Freight rigs and trailers in a Ground Hub yard. Are they pulling Ground loads or are they on-property for another reason? -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
I've discussed the sub-contracting before somewhere on here. And yes, you're right: in the hubs, there is a lot of subcontracting. I'm not picking that fight with management because I know nothing about feeder operationally. Kind of off-topic: I do see a lot of Freight rigs and trailers in a Ground Hub yard. Are they pulling Ground loads or are they on-property for another reason? -Rocky

drop shippers. Customer on the east coast builds a load going to the west coast. He hires a driver to take the load to denver colorado. skips zones and saves a lot of money on shipping charges by moving it to denver himself.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
drop shippers. Customer on the east coast builds a load going to the west coast. He hires a driver to take the load to denver colorado. skips zones and saves a lot of money on shipping charges by moving it to denver himself.

What I was trying to say, Tie, is that the tractors I see are mostly local/short run types--similar to our feeders. Almost without exception they say UPS Freight on the sides. I was just kinda curious why so many of them are in the yard.

Your explanation of a West Coast destination makes sense. I see a fair number of Werner Enterprises tractors and trailers in the yard, so those are probably the ones. I have absolutely no problem with this practice because its customer service. I can't remember seeing a Werner container backed up to one of our outbound doors, so I don't think they're pulling feeder work--at least not that I see. -Rocky

A

Anonymous GearJammer

Need to kept a look out for this type of action, like what type of trailers they're pulling in: new ones that say UPS Freight on them or old rail trailers with number sequences starting in FSTZ or SCSZ. Then what is in them, if pre-labeled small parcels for our delivery these must be documented and given to the Union, to help protect our feeder work.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Need to kept a look out for this type of action, like what type of trailers they're pulling in: new ones that say UPS Freight on them or old rail trailers with number sequences starting in FSTZ or SCSZ. Then what is in them, if pre-labeled small parcels for our delivery these must be documented and given to the Union, to help protect our feeder work.

Sorry, GearJammer but I don't fight this battle with management. Its a stupid, petty fight and it puts me on the radar screen. I'll leave it to those that like to fight with management! I do see a lot of rentals/leased trailers in the yard. I don't look all that closely at these rigs but FSTZ and SCSZ ring a bell. -Rocky

local804

Sorry, GearJammer but I don't fight this battle with management. Its a stupid, petty fight and it puts me on the radar screen. I'll leave it to those that like to fight with management! I do see a lot of rentals/leased trailers in the yard. I don't look all that closely at these rigs but FSTZ and SCSZ ring a bell. -Rocky

I dont blame you for keeping out of the radar screen rocky but its clearly not a stupid petty fight. If you were a bottom feeder driver laid off because there is no work for you maybe it would be different. I am just curious though, what position do you hold at UPS?

Btw article 32 in your national master agreement clearly states The employer may not subcontract work in any classification if any employee who normally performs such work is laid off. They also talk about preserving job opportunities and work for all employees under the contract.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I dont blame you for keeping out of the radar screen rocky but its clearly not a stupid petty fight. If you were a bottom feeder driver laid off because there is no work for you maybe it would be different. I am just curious though, what position do you hold at UPS?

804, I see it as a stupid petty fight because I'm not in that classification. I'm a handler, more specifically a sorter at DENCO. If I were a package car driver, let alone a feeder driver--laid off or otherwise--absolutely I'd feel very differently. I pick my battles with management very, very carefully. Staying off the radar ain't enough. If I'm gonna cross onto their radar screen its going to be for a d*mn good reason.

Btw article 32 in your national master agreement clearly states The employer may not subcontract work in any classification if any employee who normally performs such work is laid off. They also talk about preserving job opportunities and work for all employees under the contract.

I think I did know that, actually. When was the last time UPS abided by the contract in its strictest form??? -Rocky

A

Anonymous GearJammer

Sorry to hear you feel this way, don't see how documenting use of UPS Freight or other contractors to steal our feeder work would put you on the radar if done discretely. You don't need to make noise about it at work just be observe of what is happening and make mental notes of violations, and you could send a typed letter with no return address to the hall if you are so worried about managements wrath. If we don't protect these premium jobs then more fellow employees will be destined to performing lower paying more physically demanding jobs longer were injuries and permanent damage are of higher probability, even using proper methods, just the nature of repetitive motion. "United we stand, divided we fall."