Summer was always a heat and health risk for UPS workers. Then came COVID-19.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Summer was always a heat and health risk for UPS workers. Then came COVID-19. - NBC News

During the summer of coronavirus UPS drivers are working 12 hour shifts delivering a record number of packages in record heat, all while wearing masks.

Business has soared for UPS as Americans have turned to home delivery during the pandemic, but employees say heavy workloads, COVID-19 safety measures and sweltering summer heat are pushing them to the limit.

“We're in the middle of a pandemic,” said David Cockrel, a UPS driver and union steward in Brooklyn, New York. “It's about 105 to 110 and hotter in the back of that truck. We're working, 10, 11, 12, 13 hours a day. We’re tired.”

JJinVA

Summer was always a heat and health risk for UPS workers. Then came COVID-19. - NBC News

During the summer of coronavirus UPS drivers are working 12 hour shifts delivering a record number of packages in record heat, all while wearing masks.

Business has soared for UPS as Americans have turned to home delivery during the pandemic, but employees say heavy workloads, COVID-19 safety measures and sweltering summer heat are pushing them to the limit.

“We're in the middle of a pandemic,” said David Cockrel, a UPS driver and union steward in Brooklyn, New York. “It's about 105 to 110 and hotter in the back of that truck. We're working, 10, 11, 12, 13 hours a day. We’re tired.”

I thought you were talking about UPS for a second there, cause I dang sure never wear a mask, unless its a business and its off and on long enough to ask for a last name

DriverNerd

I thought you were talking about UPS for a second there, cause I dang sure never wear a mask, unless its a business and its off and on long enough to ask for a last name

We have a state mandate that requires wearing a mask indoors or anytime outdoor around other people. Which means all businesses, apartments, at the hub, etc. I don't wear it while driving or while doing residentials.

JJinVA

We have a state mandate that requires wearing a mask indoors or anytime outdoor around other people. Which means all businesses, apartments, at the hub, etc. I don't wear it while driving or while doing residentials.

Yeah we have that too but I take medical advice from doctors not governors. They can eat my bawls

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I wear mask for businesses, take off for residentials, put back on for signature encounters. Etc etc. if you wear your mask in the back of the truck you’re asking to pass out.