Sunday funday?

InsideUPS

We don't have to compete....we already use the USPS (postal service) for our SurePost. Now...."UPS" packages can be delivered on Sunday also.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/business/postal-service-and-amazon-strike-deal.html
The deal, announced on Sunday and taking effect immediately, in time for the holiday shopping season, gives the Postal Service a chance to take some business from United Parcel Service and FedEx, which do not deliver on Sundays.
For this holiday shopping season, Sunday delivery of Amazon products will be limited to the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas, which in New York’s case includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut.
In 2014 it is expected to expand to other cities including Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Phoenix.

upschuck

I can't see this being profitable for the post office. They are not subsidizing delivery costs with mail deliveries, so each parcel will cost a lot more to deliver. Granted, Amazon gives post office a lot of parcels, but not enough in a small enough area to make a profit unless they charge a lot more for them. Even with surepost packages, which should be delivered sat. they only get a small amount(heard it @ $.95) to deliver it. I guess only time will tell.

thessalonian13

Postal service to start delivering on sundays utilizing their flexible scheduling (cover) drivers. How do we even compete with that?
how could they start delivering on sundays when they can't afford to deliver monday thru saturday? Aren't they going to have to pay thousands of people double time or overtime to sort/deliver this stuff? I see bllions more $$$ of debt added to the post office's balance sheets.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
First I see plenty of cover drivers quitting. Who wants to work Sundays. Not only that but their pay has been cut pretty significantly over the last few years.

Second last package I got from the post office took 3 days to leave the Chicago area. It took almost a full week to travel 6 hours. I see this being a disaster.

Nimnim

The Nim
Amazon has made a deal with USPS. I don't know the cost details other than the news report said "no cost shipping" so I can only imagine Amazon is paying USPS enough to cover the costs for the increased business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The initial report said it was just for Prime members--it is for all Amazon customers (in NYC and LA). It will be treated as simply another delivery day with no premium or surcharge added.

Walmart also announced it will be opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving.

Whatever happened to Sunday being a day of rest and holidays meant for spending time with family?

bbsam

Staff member
The initial report said it was just for Prime members--it is for all Amazon customers (in NYC and LA). It will be treated as simply another delivery day with no premium or surcharge added.

Whatever happened to Sunday being a day of rest and holidays meant for spending time with family?
Those days don't make companies money.

browndingo

USPS makes money on packages and loses it on letters, so they want to be delivering more boxes. That makes them an even bigger competitor. I'm not sure that Sunday deliveries would go Surepost, because those are scheduled to be delivered by UPS to the post office the day before delivery. That would mean Saturday delivery for UPS for a Sunday delivery for the USPS.

​But now that this exists, we can bet that UPS is going to have to compete.

JL 0513

Those days don't make companies money.

It's unfortunately driven by customer wants. Retailers keep opening earlier and earlier around Black Friday and tons of people line up. Best thing to do is not show up. And it would stop and maybe Thanksgiving would be a holiday again.

over9five

Staff member
Is going shopping on Thanksgiving any different than screaming at football players on tv?

To me, neither is really spending quality time with your family.

Returntosender

Jeff Bezos will use his money to influence/lobby DC to privatize the USPS. Then Amazon will buy the post office. There is Amazon's delivery fleet. Then the dream is over..

PigSkin

Well if you want to go shopping that's one's choice. Sunday is a day of rest and being with family. UPS sucks for being open on Sundays.

Some things are just not right and they're always not right. Now, Mrs. Smith can get her toilet paper on Monday instead of Tuesday. LMFAO!!