sunrise/preload

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Didn't want to start another thread so I figured I'd add the question here. I heard today (from someone that doesn't work at ups) that basically, if you're not going to school, then UPS won't hire you. Is this true? I would think no, because that's money they don't have to pay out to reimburse. And, it didn't make sense since I'm sure there are drivers & others out there who aren't going to school. Not sure where the person got their info from but just wanted to know if there's any truth to this or not. Thanks!
Hell, that is many things including funny! but not true. ;)

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
If you get hired by UPs, they will throw you into any job they seem fit. They will, most likely, put you into a job that has the most need. Thus, the more needed jobs, are the ones with the highest turn over rates. This is the norm at UPS.

You might end up with a horrible job or have it made with an easy one. Its up in the air until you' re brought inside, do your four hour class, the next day they will lead you to where you will be working at. The big three are load, unload and preload are the things you dont want to hear.

irishgirl

Are the tours/interviews given at random, So they are not necessarily during the shift you are applying for? Or should they be during the desired shift?

mitchemracing4

My building tours, and interviews during the time of the shift you are applying for . To get rid of those to lazy to get up at 3:30 AM I suppose . But I would imagine every building does things differently . You need to speak to your HR rep for that info .

irishgirl

Ok, because I was applying for sunrise and when I clicked on schedule appt, it was for 1:30pm; so I didn't book it. I figured they would be during the hrs of when the person is applying. As you said though, each building could do things differently.

mitchemracing4

If you can get a schedule during the day go ahead and do so . More than likely on your second interview , if there is one , they may want you to come in during shift hours . But get in there as soon as possible . Jobs at U.P.S. are ,around here at least , hard to get due to the economy . First come first serve you know .

upser92

So I've been considering Sunrise shift because it works better for me right now. I've read on here that it's one of the harder shifts, but other places, I've read other shifts (twi) are harder. Either case, I was wondering, why does Sunrise usually have Preload behind it(like on job sites)? And can you do load/unload/sort during Sunrise shift or is it strictly one?

I'm guessing since people have said it's a harder shift, that it's busy during that time? Or is it a slower shift?

And last question, for now, if you're a loader, what's the system on how to know which box goes in what truck? Not sure if it helps any, but my location is in the Toledo OH area.

Does this forum allow Private messages? I haven't been able to figure out how, if it does.

Thanks for your insight! :)

Hey another person from Toledo! And from what I've heard it is much easier to do preload. What you're demanded to do loading the brown trucks is much less labor intensive than loading on the Day/Twilight/Night sorts. At our hub it goes like this....

Daysort: Gets a ton of flow, but usually lighter boxes and much less steel

Twilight: Same thing but more steel and less flow

Night: A ton of steel and more individual loads per belt, more irregs and heavy boxes down the belt but much less volume

irishgirl

Hey another person from Toledo! And from what I've heard it is much easier to do preload. What you're demanded to do loading the brown trucks is much less labor intensive than loading on the Day/Twilight/Night sorts. At our hub it goes like this....

Daysort: Gets a ton of flow, but usually lighter boxes and much less steel

Twilight: Same thing but more steel and less flow

Night: A ton of steel and more individual loads per belt, more irregs and heavy boxes down the belt but much less volume

Yes, nice to see another person from Toledo on here! So I take it you don't work Preload, since there's no mention of what they get lol.which sort do you work or are you a driver? :happy2: Would you consider the hub to be big? Looks like it on the outside but can't really tell what it'd be like on the inside. Oh, and what format do they use there? You mentioned belt, but just wanted to clarify :)

upser92

Yes, nice to see another person from Toledo on here! So I take it you don't work Preload, since there's no mention of what they get lol.which sort do you work or are you a driver? :happy2: Would you consider the hub to be big? Looks like it on the outside but can't really tell what it'd be like on the inside. Oh, and what format do they use there? You mentioned belt, but just wanted to clarify :)

Preload is probably the easiest shift, but it is also the hardest to get onto. I used to be on Midnights but moved to Days. Thing is it all depends on what you want with UPS. If you want to move up the chain in seniority and management quicker, pick midnights. Twilight has a little more seniority and Day is loaded with seniority. Preload is the easiest shift as far as body of work goes though. The hub is huge compared to most, over 200 doors

irishgirl

Preload is probably the easiest shift, but it is also the hardest to get onto. I used to be on Midnights but moved to Days. Thing is it all depends on what you want with UPS. If you want to move up the chain in seniority and management quicker, pick midnights. Twilight has a little more seniority and Day is loaded with seniority. Preload is the easiest shift as far as body of work goes though. The hub is huge compared to most, over 200 doors

any way I can email you? It might be easier that way.

irishgirl

Upser92: so you're saying sunrise/Preload are hard to get onto or just the Preload? The sunrise/preload hrs are what I prefer, they work best for me, so I'm hoping I can get something in those hours.

upser92

Upser92: so you're saying sunrise/Preload are hard to get onto or just the Preload? The sunrise/preload hrs are what I prefer, they work best for me, so I'm hoping I can get something in those hours.

There is no sunrise, just preload. And the preload shift is hard to get onto

irishgirl

There is no sunrise, just preload. And the preload shift is hard to get onto

For some reason, this surprises me. I would think the others would be harder, not preload, considering the hours. Is it harder because you said it's easier or do they just not hire that much for that shift? I noticed at first it wasn't listed in the shifts available. In general, do you (or anyone) know, if the hours you are available, are not accepting applications, can you tell them you prefer those hours and will wait till they are? Or are you out of luck?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
jmo, preload is by far the worst shift to be hired onto. And it's the easiest to be hired onto, in our hub and previous buildings I have worked in.

irishgirl

jmo, preload is by far the worst shift to be hired onto. And it's the easiest to be hired onto, in our hub and previous buildings I have worked in.

Do you say it's the worst because of the hours or the work? Im sure a lot of people would dread those hours and would rather pick something more "normal"

menotyou

bella amicizia
Preload is harder because of the type of work/amount of work per individual/the fact the entire day starts with you. Of course, it depends on the assignment you get. But, I wouldn't load brown trucks again if my life depended on it. Stick me in the feeder. You will never have to worry about the flow or labels.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Do you say it's the worst because of the hours or the work? Im sure a lot of people would dread those hours and would rather pick something more "normal"
For many reasons.
First, the hours. Waking up at 3am (or midnight as I had to do FT) is not easy for many people, and was virtually impossible for me.

Second, the type of work. There is more pressure on the preload than any other part of operations, as those brown trucks have to get out by whatever time the higher ups dictate.

Those two combinations means that many people are just flat out miserable. There are always nice people at UPS, but the % of misery always seemed higher on the preload. haha

There are other reasons, but those are two main ones. Turnover is, in my experience, always highest on the preload, therefore they are always the first shift to be hiring and last to keep people working.

Also, injuries are always highest. Those who work hours that cut into the natural sleep rhythms (2-5am is the peak natural sleep time for body), will suffer the greatest as far as sleep problems, health risks, and overall injuries.

irishgirl

Thanks for the info Sleeve and everyone else! I went on the tour today. It was nice to have all of this information ahead of time, for a heads up. We were shown unload and loading, and the one guy loading the truck didn't look like he was having fun! (but then no one there did) The packages were all backed up, not sure if that's common or not for loaders. If I remember correctly, they said by the end of your probation, unloaders should be able to do 1400 and loaders 500. Does that sound right? Only one person left before the tour started and that was after our guide said it takes an avg of 8yrs for someone to get FT there and there's 2000 ppl working. Q: are the sups the ones wearing the neon green vests? Or no? I only seen a few with those on, wasn't sure what their role was.