Supervisor ride along

Re-Raise

Introduce your supervisor to all of your customers at every single stop. Tell then he can solve any problems they may have as he is the best supe ever! That will eat up time like you wouldnt believe!! Work Safely,by the methods and dont feel intimidated to go any faster. If you are running a business route take lunch between 12-1,and keep records over any pickups moved or bulk stops taken off,as well if the prick comes in early and massages your load. This is just Head Games by management to scare you into going faster,dont fall for it.
I was there so long, I can’t even remember a time when I was worried about a driver sup.

When they rode with me, I would introduce them by the wrong name and tell my customers that they were a reporter working on a story about me. Then I asked if they had any quotes that they wanted included in the article.

Strangely my rides never lasted the whole day?

HavenoEDD

The trick is to do this job like your being watched every second that way OJS and ride alongside are a piece of cake. Don’t let them touch a package or distract you.

There’s things you can do to be a wise ass and make their time not as enjoyable as it should..use your imagination.

No performance language in the contract so don’t sweat it. Numbers are a tool for harassment. Follow the methods and work at a safe pace.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
you're going to feel pressure to go extra fast. resist it, one of the main points of the ridealong is to get a baseline for how long your route should take. if you go extra fast, you're only making that time of you going extra fast what their expectation of you is.
second, the sup is going to try to help you, he'll either sort your truck while you're walking one off or he'll help you offload pieces at a dock. again the reason for the ride is to baseline your route, if you're getting help then it's not an accurate baseline. now you can deal with this one of two ways, you can either insist in the moment that he not help you, or you can document him helping you and take notes on it and then object after the fact. yes the latter is way more passive aggressive and does screw them over.

otherwise they're doing it to catch you in bad habits and jam you up or just to make constructive criticism about it. Just follow the methods, don't take shortcuts, and work safe.

and take your lunch and don't sort during it.

clean hairy

you're going to feel pressure to go extra fast. resist it, one of the main points of the ridealong is to get a baseline for how long your route should take. if you go extra fast, you're only making that time of you going extra fast what their expectation of you is.
second, the sup is going to try to help you, he'll either sort your truck while you're walking one off or he'll help you offload pieces at a dock. again the reason for the ride is to baseline your route, if you're getting help then it's not an accurate baseline. now you can deal with this one of two ways, you can either insist in the moment that he not help you, or you can document him helping you and take notes on it and then object after the fact. yes the latter is way more passive aggressive and does screw them over.

otherwise they're doing it to catch you in bad habits and jam you up or just to make constructive criticism about it. Just follow the methods, don't take shortcuts, and work safe.

and take your lunch and don't sort during it.
Eat some bad food for lunch.
With him walking behind you, be sure he gets several snootfulls of your bad gas being discharged!

raceanoncr

When you are driving and the sup starts to talk to you pull over in a safe spot and say now I can listen to you I can only pay attention to one thing at a time
Funny. On that same issue, I used to tell them when I was pre-tripping doubles to not talk to me. Don't bother me and get me out of my routine. If they did, I started completely over.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Introduce your supervisor to all of your customers at every single stop. Tell then he can solve any problems they may have as he is the best supe ever! That will eat up time like you wouldnt believe!! Work Safely,by the methods and dont feel intimidated to go any faster. If you are running a business route take lunch between 12-1,and keep records over any pickups moved or bulk stops taken off,as well if the prick comes in early and massages your load. This is just Head Games by management to scare you into going faster,dont fall for it.
I usually introduce them and call them my watch hawk

vvv

What I did for 32 years, whether in P/C or feeders, was to do everything by the methods, all the time, not just during a ride. EVERYTHING. You think that will end the rides? Try it. It worked for me.
Example:
In feeders, I kept getting over weight tickets. They kept sending me with two trailers full of books from a local vendor. I tole em, "I'm only gonna tell you this once....Don't do that. For this reason". "Uh.....What?" "Nevermind". The next day I had a rider....with the same loads. BINGO. Another overweight. Long story short, we were there for over 3 hours getting it fixed. He was livid. I merely said, "I told you so".
Next day, same loads, more tickets. Do they ever learn? You decide. Just work by the methods.
Too funny!! In package car may years ago we use to call the police on ourselves with the heavy business routes when we knew we'd be over and tell them where to get us and they'd happily come and hit us for overweight.....bosses would be so pissed. :)

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I like to introduce them to everyone and say "if you have any questions for him please don't hesitate to ask."

:)
Everytime they’re observing me while I’m going to pickups I grab all the people at the pickup and get them to wave or flip out the supervisor based on who it is

Whither

Scofflaw
On my last annual space & viz ride my supe nitpicked about a few tiny things. For example, I didn't pull my handbrake at a stop sign when I could see I wasn't going to have to wait half a second.

So I had a field day when he was "demonstrating safe driving" to me. "Whoa, you call this is a safe park position? I'd never park here. We could get sideswiped and you'd be charged w an avoidable accident. And, look, you're on this customer's grass!"

The best was my supe missed a stop sign since he was so busy chattering on with "the driver drill". Didn't stop until we were several feet into the intersection. I busted his balls about that lmao - "You see that sidewalk back there near the rear wheels? There's plenty of kids in this neighborhood, you could've just run over one of them!"

Re-Raise

Once you accept that is their ONLY contribution to the company, you don’t get too worked up about their nitpicking observations.

They have to find something or they serve no purpose.

Whither

Scofflaw
Once you accept that is their ONLY contribution to the company, you don’t get too worked up about their nitpicking observations.

They have to find something or they serve no purpose.
I agree, I don't get worked up. It's just a good time giving them trouble in kind :wink-very: