Supervisor

So a lot of drivers from my building apparently file grievance when they see a preload supervisor load trucks. What does filing actually do in that situation? I also heard supervisors aren't allowed to touch packages.

clean hairy

A grievance is filed that Sup xyz spent an hour (or whatever length of documented time) doing hourly work.
The one who files the grievance then gets paid for the time the Sup was doing the work an Hourly is supposed to be doing.
Easy money!

FilingBluesFL

If a supervisor is performing Bargaining Unit Work (Read: Hourly employee work) then that is a violation of the contract.

Filing a grievance gets YOU paid $$$ for all work performed by that supervisor.

Free money.

Filing gives pleasure to a drivers ego and it may also benefit financially.

Unless they are supposedly "training" a new hire.
There aren't any new hires on my belt. What's ridiculous is when my supervisor sends someone home cause apparently we're "overstaffed", then that'll leave 2-3 trucks not being loaded cause there's noone there. Then guess what? My supervisor then ask for another preloader from another belt to help out, but usually they don't send one over until 30 mins later or so, which means my supervisor loads those trucks until that person arrives. If my supervisor care so much about numbers, I don't know why he'll make such a dumb decision.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
So you're telling me that I can file grievance every time I see them doing hourly work (which is everyday and approximately an hour each day)?
They will keep on doing it until someone files a grievance.
If they do it everyday, then that means they are not staffed correctly.
It is a guaranteed winnable money maker for the guy that has the testicular fortitude to step up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
A supervisors job is to supervise and handle the flow and issues that pop up while the labor works. If the supervisor is doing hourly work, who's doing that? UPS recognizes this and agrees that labor should be doing labor and sups should be supervising. If there is more work than people, we need to hire more people. This is just one way we enforce what the company and the union agree upon.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I made over 5 grand last year on PT Supervisor Working Grievances. I come to work about 45 minutes early and observe and document. I keep careful records of which supe I see working, the areas and the times.
If i see two working i file on the one working the longest as only one can be filed . I do it purely for the money, its EASY money

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
My center manager claims I file more grievances than he writes warning letters. His boss said to him "I thought you had a good relationship and understanding with your steward"? I say we can have an understanding: if supes don't perform bargaining unit work then I won't file the grievance. Until then the grievance will continue to be paid at DOUBLE time the driver's hourly rate.

watdaflock?

There aren't any new hires on my belt. What's ridiculous is when my supervisor sends someone home cause apparently we're "overstaffed", then that'll leave 2-3 trucks not being loaded cause there's noone there. Then guess what? My supervisor then ask for another preloader from another belt to help out, but usually they don't send one over until 30 mins later or so, which means my supervisor loads those trucks until that person arrives. If my supervisor care so much about numbers, I don't know why he'll make such a dumb decision.
Sounds about right. Pretty sure keeping the numbers slightly understaffed is in the Sup101 handbook.

clean hairy

In the Master article 3, section 7, paragraph a, pages 10&11 of the Master in part states
"nor shall the employer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have employees work performed by a supervisor or other employees of the employer who are not members of the bargaining unit"

I made over 5 grand last year on PT Supervisor Working Grievances. I come to work about 45 minutes early and observe and document. I keep careful records of which supe I see working, the areas and the times.
If i see two working i file on the one working the longest as only one can be filed . I do it purely for the money, its EASY money
I'm fairly interested...also quite new to this grievance thing, mind explaining how can I file it?