supervisors working grievances

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Sups working is my pet peeve,but my guys don't greive smile*. I can talk to them to them till I am blue in the face about how they should do the work, how it costs them money,how it weakens our position, and most of all how it reads in the contract. All they care about is going home.

Audia4guy

Finally after a year of lurking I have a reason to actually register haha. A lot of the guys I work with do the same thing. They just want to go home all they care about is getting out of the building. Personally I'd rather get as many hours as possible. Rather than make a new thread about the same topic since this is so relatively new I have a question about grieving. If a supervisor does my job auditing hazmats im assuming thats grieve able? I told them I was going to grieve it and they gave me some crap like they were able to do it is that true?

hypocrisy

Banned
Absolutely.

Don't worry about your co-workers not wanting to file grievances. That just leaves easy money for you to make. Just have them be your eyes and ears as to who was working, where and when then file and collect.

22.34life

Finally after a year of lurking I have a reason to actually register haha. A lot of the guys I work with do the same thing. They just want to go home all they care about is getting out of the building. Personally I'd rather get as many hours as possible. Rather than make a new thread about the same topic since this is so relatively new I have a question about grieving. If a supervisor does my job auditing hazmats im assuming thats grieve able? I told them I was going to grieve it and they gave me some crap like they were able to do it is that true?

excellent question,thats something i have often wondered myself.i know that sups are allowed to take the class and it is a voluntary job so i dont really know.the best thing i can say is call your buisness agent and ask him.

CustomerConcern

As long as there is an hourly employee available to do the job, then the sup. has no business doing it. Only exception is if there is a potential safetey issue if the job isn't done immediately.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's a battle of too many people want to do the right thing as a Teamster versus people wanting to "fly under the radar".

Many of these part- timers are 15+ years, making $20/hr plus great benes, so why ruffle feathers.
The new kids don't understand the benefits of a union because they are making $8.50 for very difficult labor and already have benefits as a dependent.

What happens next?

tieguy

Banned
Sups working is my pet peeve,but my guys don't greive smile*. I can talk to them to them till I am blue in the face about how they should do the work, how it costs them money,how it weakens our position, and most of all how it reads in the contract. All they care about is going home.

most people come to work to do a job and go home. You're not going to get them to change that mindset unless management really does something outrageous.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
most people come to work to do a job and go home. You're not going to get them to change that mindset unless management really does something outrageous.

That is the problem . They typically only care about the here and now, and not the "why". Myself included.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

You know the outrageous people (management) have recently left (transferred) It is almost peaceful now on my shift. I spent an hour 2 evenings ago with a friend/T sup talking to employees and he was a real gentleman and very reasonable. What up with that ? He even agreed with me that supervisors should manage and workers should do the work. I wonder how far he will go in the company ? LOL

konsole

That is the problem . They typically only care about the here and now, and not the "why". Myself included.

Your not going to find more then 5-10 people in a whole sort of 150 that have vision for anything other then the here and now. Most of my coworkers gladly take supervisors help because it helps them get through their struggles with the "here and now" while setting themselves up for failure again the next day due to the supervisors help needed yet again.

I think management should try something like 1 supervisor and 1 floater for 2 belts. A dedicated supervisor (who only supervises) isnt needed to watch over 5 people and floaters can definately be useful. This way the supervisor can have the floater go wherever needed and the supervisor can strictly supervise the 10 people. May not completely eliminate the supervisor handling packages but having an extra person that can jump on a problem before it gets serious I think will seriously reduce the supervisors working. You have to admit that the only reason why we need the setup we have now of 1 supervisor per belt is because the supervisor acts like a floater that can help out here and there as needed.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your not going to find more then 5-10 people in a whole sort of 150 that have vision for anything other then the here and now. Most of my coworkers gladly take supervisors help because it helps them get through their struggles with the "here and now" while setting themselves up for failure again the next day due to the supervisors help needed yet again.

I think management should try something like 1 supervisor and 1 floater for 2 belts. A dedicated supervisor (who only supervises) isnt needed to watch over 5 people and floaters can definately be useful. This way the supervisor can have the floater go wherever needed and the supervisor can strictly supervise the 10 people. May not completely eliminate the supervisor handling packages but having an extra person that can jump on a problem before it gets serious I think will seriously reduce the supervisors working. You have to admit that the only reason why we need the setup we have now of 1 supervisor per belt is because the supervisor acts like a floater that can help out here and there as needed.

I agree with you. It works the same way here, just multiply by 4. There often times are up to 20-30 supervisors working at once , on one sort in our building. It's crazy :)