Supervisors working preload

Nah
Exactly what I've been doing for the last few months.....it was "interesting" during peak, as it seemed they realized the need for more staff. Peak ended, folks were let go, and the cycle continues. I'm still waiting for the implosion. Hasn't happened yet....and unfortunately doesn't seem like it will being that they send us "rank and file" home every night around 10 pm, and then all of the sups go around to the various PD's finishing up the work.

File on the sups working? That's what this whole conversation is about, after all. If the Business Agent isn't responding to you, keep sending him polite reminders regarding your issue until he does. If he's as bad as the steward, go above his head to the local president.

Nah
Exactly what I've been doing for the last few months.....it was "interesting" during peak, as it seemed they realized the need for more staff. Peak ended, folks were let go, and the cycle continues. I'm still waiting for the implosion. Hasn't happened yet....and unfortunately doesn't seem like it will being that they send us "rank and file" home every night around 10 pm, and then all of the sups go around to the various PD's finishing up the work.

Alternatively, this is a far more dangerous approach, not for the faint of heart, but I've used it before and it seemed to do the trick: Refuse to leave. Politely tell your supervisor that as long as supervisors are performing bargaining unit work, you don't want to leave. He'll probably threaten to walk you out, but once he brings discipline into the conversation you're entitled to have a steward present. Then you can have a pow wow and hash this crap out. You gotta have stones to go this route though, because there is a real possibility of getting (temporarily) fired.

Justaloader

Alternatively, this is a far more dangerous approach, not for the faint of heart, but I've used it before and it seemed to do the trick: Refuse to leave. Politely tell your supervisor that as long as supervisors are performing bargaining unit work, you don't want to leave. He'll probably threaten to walk you out, but once he brings discipline into the conversation you're entitled to have a steward present. Then you can have a pow wow and hash this crap out. You gotta have stones to go this route though, because there is a real possibility of getting (temporarily) fired.

I’ll take some time to think this one through, but I’m very tempted to change my ways (coming in, doing my job, going home) and trying this route.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
First - long enough to know better.
Second - getting ahold of them isn't the problem, it's getting a response and action that's the problem.
Third - Could give a rats ass about PPH. Colossally asinine? Hmm...9 doors...that usually have one loader (union or sup, regardless) in each door. Take two of the guys away.....that somehow translates to the situation getting better? Must be that "new math" I keep hearing about. Even when there are 9 guys loading, it isn't enough to keep up. So, yes - removing manpower equates to the situation getting worse.

Call it drivel, bull:censored2:, oh woe is me....label it however the hell you want. It's reality in my area.

Tell you what - every time this topic comes up, there is a whole lot of "YOU should do this, this this and this"....Yet I've never once seen a "What local are you in? Hold tight, let me make some phone calls and see what can be accomplished". Care to spearhead?
You're thinking about everything wrong.

Short staffed?
That's code for getting more hours, because you are going to work *safely*.
They send it down faster?
Stack it out higher.

As for me helping your center.
Are you in 710?
If you are, I can absolutely try to help. If not, then you need to be the guy calling.

Justaloader

You're thinking about everything wrong.

Short staffed?
That's code for getting more hours, because you are going to work *safely*.
They send it down faster?
Stack it out higher.

As for me helping your center.
Are you in 710?
If you are, I can absolutely try to help. If not, then you need to be the guy calling.
Stack it out....not sure if you’ve loaded trailers or how things work where you are, but our only option is to let stuff fall off the roller line, which leads to egress violations, and the pickoff having to shut the main belt off when he has no where to put boxes due to the lines being overwhelmed.

I get what you are saying - believe me, I do.

Sadly, no. I’m 384.

Inputnamehere

@Justaloader

Where I disagree with you is that supervisors no longer working and there being "way too much work" for the staff you have. Have way too much work? :censored2: em. You work as fast as you need to work safely. No need AT ALL to get stressed. You getting behind? Too bad.

I went to my union today and spoke with the my BA. He said he will fully back me and the steward should too, if not let him know. To me it's definitely worth it. The backbone of our contract is a few things, one of them being supe's not working. One of the perks we have, and I for sure plan to file grievances for each incident. :censored2: 'em.

Nah
Stack it out....not sure if you’ve loaded trailers or how things work where you are, but our only option is to let stuff fall off the roller line, which leads to egress violations, and the pickoff having to shut the main belt off when he has no where to put boxes due to the lines being overwhelmed.

I get what you are saying - believe me, I do.

Sadly, no. I’m 384.

I love it when that happens. Once packages start falling off the belt, rollers, or slide, the name of the game is "safety." Your priority shifts from loading the trailer, to ensuring egress...no matter how badly it's backed up.

I understand not wanting to rock the boat, but sometimes they give you no choice. And so often, like in your situation, they give you all the tools you need to really rake them over the coals...without grievances, even.

johnlennon

25.11 full-time combo employee (Rockford-710)
Hi, I work preload in the Western / UPstate NY supplement.

Supervisors have "helped" handle packages in one way or another for 10-20 minutes at a time multiple times a day since I can remember, though I know this shouldn't be happening at all. It's become the norm for so long that nobody really does anything. Our steward refuses to take grievances for all these times supervisors are working because of the sheer volume of grievances... Too bad, that's what a steward does!

Anyways, my question is are their provisions in the contract for when a center is short staffed. 2 people were fired from preload - one end of last week, and one beginning this week. 2 supervisions worked virtually the entire shift.

3 questions:

What can I do if the steward refuses to take the grievances each time a supervisor is working? ( he claims the BA doesn't want grievances for small things like this)

Is there language in the contract that allows supervisors to work when short staffed?

If 2 supervisors are working at the same time, does the grievance amount increase?

Thanks
Called The Stick And Move approach

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
No implosion will happen, you will be late by some degree every day for the majority of your work here. I would treat the handful of days that you actually get done on time as a blessing, every other day is a normal day.

Keep the supervisor working greviances coming. Sometimes it takes $15 for them to back off and hire more people other times they just don't care and you get a free couple of hundos for the month.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Exactly. I don't deny that I, per your words, lack motivation to go through the process. I also lack the knowledge as getting ahold of union people in my area is futile, at best...and hoping that they have the integrity and discipline to "do their jobs" is a battle in and of itself.

That, and as I said - it's a question of if the ends are worth the means. OP goes through the process - sups stop doing union work. Then what...fast forward a month or two when the OP realizes he's busting his ass, UPS won't hire more people to cover the additional workload....and realizes he got exactly what he asked for. What then? Let me guess - go through the process again in the hopes that UPS will properly staff the operation?

We went through this process at my center....we now have 7 people on my crew to cover loading 9 doors (I'm a twilight loader that loads outbound trailers in the heaviest "PD" of the building). Our sups used to jump in and help us when we get overwhelmed - and get yelled at for doing so by building management. The same management that won't hire more people, and won't adjust processes so that things run at a steady pace all night. Instead, their philosophy is to unload all the inbounds as quickly as possible, completely overwhelming the system, and then blame outbounds for not "moving fast enough" to get things done. This problem isn't just on my PD - it's building-wide.

Not sure how long you've been here - but, some folks who have been here a while and have fought this battle realize it's just not worth the hassle, considering the battle is a ciclical process that never ends. There's also the mantra "be careful what you wish for, as you may just get it". Add to that, some of us realize it's just easier (right, wrong, or indifferent) to keep your head down, mouth shut, stack the boxes, collect your paycheck, and leave it at that.

I wish the OP luck and hope that he, should he pursue the battle, has different results than what I've seen. Somehow I think this thread will be forgotten about (just like all of the others), and the results of his efforts, should they even take place, never shared. The cycle continues.....
Weak

Hi, I work preload in the Western / UPstate NY supplement.

Supervisors have "helped" handle packages in one way or another for 10-20 minutes at a time multiple times a day since I can remember, though I know this shouldn't be happening at all. It's become the norm for so long that nobody really does anything. Our steward refuses to take grievances for all these times supervisors are working because of the sheer volume of grievances... Too bad, that's what a steward does!

Anyways, my question is are their provisions in the contract for when a center is short staffed. 2 people were fired from preload - one end of last week, and one beginning this week. 2 supervisions worked virtually the entire shift.

3 questions:

What can I do if the steward refuses to take the grievances each time a supervisor is working? ( he claims the BA doesn't want grievances for small things like this)

Is there language in the contract that allows supervisors to work when short staffed?

If 2 supervisors are working at the same time, does the grievance amount increase?

Thanks

As an up-to-date paid in full union member. I have no issues with supervisors helping handle packages! Don’t care what the contract says, will always back the sups in this situation. You must be a slow loader or on a slow belt. If you’re keeping the belt moving and aren’t stacking, you’re doing you’re job. If you can’t keep up, then you’re not. Then the Sups have to help for safety! Stacking isn’t loading.

Boston25

As an up-to-date paid in full union member. I have no issues with supervisors helping handle packages! Don’t care what the contract says, will always back the sups in this situation. You must be a slow loader or on a slow belt. If you’re keeping the belt moving and aren’t stacking, you’re doing you’re job. If you can’t keep up, then you’re not. Then the Sups have to help for safety! Stacking isn’t loading.
Stacking is still part of union members job on the preload so therefore supervisors are working when they shouldn’t.