Supervisors working preload

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My work assignment is so clean that the person downstream stacks all my boxes for me like @Jumpin Jack Flash .
Anyone on a belt who is overwhelmed should not stack, they should watch the :censored2: fly by them. What are you going to do? they can certainly try to stop packages before they arrive at the next assignment but it really just boils down to nothing.
Play the methods game and always win. We don't get paid to meet performance numbers.

Inputnamehere

My work assignment is so clean that the person downstream stacks all my boxes for me like @Jumpin Jack Flash .
Anyone on a belt who is overwhelmed should not stack, they should watch the :censored2: fly by them. What are you going to do? they can certainly try to stop packages before they arrive at the next assignment but it really just boils down to nothing.
Play the methods game and always win. We don't get paid to meet performance numbers.
Personally i would never let my packages go down the belt intentionally. I feel that’s screwing my co workers over which are good guys. I try to catch all my packages. If im really pissed and overwhelmed I tell people just let my :censored2: ride to the end of the belt... lol

D

Deleted member 77202

Part-time Supervisors work everyday in all areas of my building, and I've personally talked to our Union Rep about it, and although he'll agree with me that it's wrong, he's hesitant to really, truly do anything about it.

He told me he discussed the issue with the Supervisor -- in the Supervisor's office with no one else present -- to more or less placate me, so I wouldn't complain about it anymore.

Then, for about a week or two, the Part-time Supervisors were all of a sudden not 'helping' anyone with any work around the building.

I even overheard another employee ask one of the Part-time Supervisors why he wasn't helping anymore, and he said, "Because Martini complained to the Union Rep about us working."

Nah
Part-time Supervisors work everyday in all areas of my building, and I've personally talked to our Union Rep about it, and although he'll agree with me that it's wrong, he's hesitant to really, truly do anything about it.

He told me he discussed the issue with the Supervisor -- in the Supervisor's office with no one else present -- to more or less placate me, so I wouldn't complain about it anymore.

Then, for about a week or two, the Part-time Supervisors were all of a sudden not 'helping' anyone with any work around the building.

I even overheard another employee ask one of the Part-time Supervisors why he wasn't helping anymore, and he said, "Because Martini complained to the Union Rep about us working."

In a situation like that, where they try to make you the bad guy, just whip your grievance check out and say "look how much money I made because that guy was working!"

Inputnamehere

In a situation like that, where they try to make you the bad guy, just whip your grievance check out and say "look how much money I made because that guy was working!"

Yes.. file a grievance every time... if your steward won’t take the grievance go to the BA and go up from there. Don’t be scared.

Justaloader

There's that target I was talking about. There's always two sides to this issue - one side is the "stick to your guns, file every time they come at you - be it harrassment, etc".... IMO, that just leads to a toxic environment in which you always have to watch your ass because, being that you've "outed" those around you, they'll be on you like white on rice. One mis-step, and they'll dog you for it. But, they'll know not to mess with you for the sake of doing so, because they'll realize you'll call them onto the carpet for it every single time. That could go either way as they may respect that and back off, or, they may continue to "poke the bear" just to get reactions....some people enjoy that kind of entertainment / amusement. Some call it bullying.....

The other side is - you just let it go and don't file anything. This makes your day to day easier as you won't have a target on you, but, then you are contributing to the overall situation of the contract rules being ignored, etc. Then you have to be willing to realize that the rules are being broken, and that you are contributing, however big or small, to the overall problem - and be willing to accept that.

It seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - all comes down to the individual, really, and how strong his or her convictions are about following the rules, contract, etc. I don't think anyone has figured out the right answer yet - which is why I think this topic comes up as frequently as it does.

I had a similar experience with my Steward and BA when I pushed the issue. As soon as I realized I was in a situation where I was holding people accountable and expecting them to follow rules, only to find out that those that make the rules couldn't care less if they are followed (in specific relation to sups working), I backed away from it. My recourse now is to go above the BA, but as I stated in previous posts.....I have to decide if the ends are worth the means, and if I possess the constitution to go as far as is needed to see this all the way through.

Another thing I've realized about UPS in general - I've noticed some areas of the country are very "by the letter of the law", so to speak. If a sup so much as sneezes and doesn't say excuse me and there is a rule that they are supposed to do so, people file (as an example). Then again, in other areas, there isn't so much focus on the letter of the law, and the rules are bent and broken as part of regular operations. It's an interesting place to say the least.

D

Deleted member 77202

The real kick in the butt for us Union employees who genuinely want to work more hours and/or take on more responsibility at work -- but can't because of supervisors working -- is:

at my workplace, there is a union employee who's been there about eight years and this guy kisses the supervisors' butts so much that he actually speaks in DEFENSE of them regarding them working or about any other issue!
He'll laugh, shake his head, make an exaggerated motion of rolling his eyes, and say something like, "Why are you making such a big deal out of management working?" and as soon as I walk away, he'll run right over to a supervisor and tell them every word I said !

It's mentally exhausting working with people like that (pre-school tattle tales), and that's why sometimes me & others like me simply just give up, shut up, punch out, & go home.​

Superteeth2478

Alternatively, this is a far more dangerous approach, not for the faint of heart, but I've used it before and it seemed to do the trick: Refuse to leave. Politely tell your supervisor that as long as supervisors are performing bargaining unit work, you don't want to leave. He'll probably threaten to walk you out, but once he brings discipline into the conversation you're entitled to have a steward present. Then you can have a pow wow and hash this crap out. You gotta have stones to go this route though, because there is a real possibility of getting (temporarily) fired.
But it sounds like he's saying his steward is a sellout...probably not a good idea unless you know another steward who isn't a sellout that you can call on for the disciplinary interview.

There's that target I was talking about. There's always two sides to this issue - one side is the "stick to your guns, file every time they come at you - be it harrassment, etc".... IMO, that just leads to a toxic environment in which you always have to watch your ass because, being that you've "outed" those around you, they'll be on you like white on rice. One mis-step, and they'll dog you for it. But, they'll know not to mess with you for the sake of doing so, because they'll realize you'll call them onto the carpet for it every single time. That could go either way as they may respect that and back off, or, they may continue to "poke the bear" just to get reactions....some people enjoy that kind of entertainment / amusement. Some call it bullying.....

The other side is - you just let it go and don't file anything. This makes your day to day easier as you won't have a target on you, but, then you are contributing to the overall situation of the contract rules being ignored, etc. Then you have to be willing to realize that the rules are being broken, and that you are contributing, however big or small, to the overall problem - and be willing to accept that.

It seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - all comes down to the individual, really, and how strong his or her convictions are about following the rules, contract, etc. I don't think anyone has figured out the right answer yet - which is why I think this topic comes up as frequently as it does.

I had a similar experience with my Steward and BA when I pushed the issue. As soon as I realized I was in a situation where I was holding people accountable and expecting them to follow rules, only to find out that those that make the rules couldn't care less if they are followed (in specific relation to sups working), I backed away from it. My recourse now is to go above the BA, but as I stated in previous posts.....I have to decide if the ends are worth the means, and if I possess the constitution to go as far as is needed to see this all the way through.

Another thing I've realized about UPS in general - I've noticed some areas of the country are very "by the letter of the law", so to speak. If a sup so much as sneezes and doesn't say excuse me and there is a rule that they are supposed to do so, people file (as an example). Then again, in other areas, there isn't so much focus on the letter of the law, and the rules are bent and broken as part of regular operations. It's an interesting place to say the least.

file and ethics complaint ups.com ->company tab->policies and procedures