support

DS

Fenderbender
Wow, I cant even imagine what its like to be doing this at 54. How are you treated by mgt? You started driving at 44 and on top of that you were a cover driver. My heart goes out to you.
I`m 52 and I`ve been a ft driver since I was 35.
I had the same problem as scratch needing arch supports
My knees get sore now and then .As far as management goes
they know that if I`m on vaca or off for an optional,the cover driver always needs help.I know the area inside out.I`m gonna do this till I`m 65 if I can.So far I`ve avoided pain relievers for work related stuff,although I do take 1 aspirin every day
to keep the blood flowing freely.In some ways it gets easier
as you get older because you`ve been through every possible scenario and oftimes one quick phonecall to the customer can
save your back and or wasted time,or doing a few resis inbetween your air as you go by...I`m gonna live forever...right

lost

Wow!! I am only 30 and have screwed up both wrists, a knee an ankle an am now fighting a pinched syatic nerve!!! blue emu did not even touch the pain, neither has ben gay, tylenol advil. The shoes are one thing I don't scrimp on and it does help soooo much!!!

BCFan

:crying:BC powder and a coca-cola does great for pain 2 BC's and same coke will knock that hangover out too:thumbup1:BC(not the powder either)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
:crying:BC powder and a coca-cola does great for pain 2 BC's and same coke will knock that hangover out too:thumbup1:BC(not the powder either)

BCFan,
I was wondering if you picked your Username because you like BC Powder or you are a fan of the caveman comic strip, "BC".

I haven't figured out your avatar, either.

Last edited:

rapidrandall

slow but sure
Ok here it is. You may think me nuts but I get into the wife's stuff from time to time. It's the only thing that takes care of the knee pains. As we know most of these pains have swelling whether inside or out of the joints. Some times my knees hurt so bad I don't want to walk down the stairs in the morning let alone go to work. As DS said though can't afford to call off a lot. So the remedy is MIDOL. It is the best non prescriptive pain meds on the market and the anti-inflammatory is great for the swelling. I know you all think I am nuts but it works, try it!!! Also I got some stuff from the chiropractor called Bio-freeze it is wonderful.

I'll try the Midol and let you know if I get moody.:lol:

diesel96

I've found that not only are good shoes helpful,and also thick padded ortho socks(with brown UPS socks pulled over them),and most important foot/arch prosthetic which aligns your body and helps prevent aches in knees.ankles,hips,grion...
Also,I take a quality form of omega 3 fish oil(Icelantic Health)helps with joint pain..
And one more remedy...I bought an expensive mattress(latex Foam)similar to Therma -pedic(NASA) memory foam,and I wake up with no back or shoulder pain..great investment!
Alright ,sounding like a commericial now.

lost

I've found that not only are good shoes helpful,and also thick padded ortho socks(with brown UPS socks pulled over them),and most important foot/arch prosthetic which aligns your body and helps prevent aches in knees.ankles,hips,grion...
Also,I take a quality form of omega 3 fish oil(Icelantic Health)helps with joint pain..
And one more remedy...I bought an expensive mattress(latex Foam)similar to Therma -pedic(NASA) memory foam,and I wake up with no back or shoulder pain..great investment!
Alright ,sounding like a commericial now.

I did not know about the omega 3, Will have to try that.... added to the st johns wart for mood, calcium, b6 and b12...

Sammie

This thread pertains,maybe to the older UPS drivers,loaders and unloaders,but anybody can join in. As some one else put it-I believe it was upsgrunt quote "We are industrial athletes". In being so, Im just curious as old father time,and just plan wear and tear of the job, what are some of the things you do to keep your body in the game?

Your jobs are no walk in the park; heavy physical work along with constant physical, mental, emotional and environmental stress. And you all do it well!!! WITHOUT going postal!! :blush:

I'd say that cops, cab drivers, and teachers in a ghetto are among the few professions who deal with more stress than you guys do, which puts you right up there.

And to keep going year after year without getting hurt or burned out or without a spontaneous self-combustion here and there amazes me.

Opt into feeders if it's an option. Packages are for the young pups!! :wink:

Otherwise, here's some things Dude here and his buddies
have been known to do in order to make it:

A waterbed

Hypnosis and/or acupuncture to deal with pain

And yeah, body massages (foot massages are the best...)

A good, old fashioned chiropractor

Now I know these will sound like sissy stuff, but...

Yoga/meditation

Chamomile tea, whenever you can, is very calming

Work hard, play hard. Recharge your batteries with something
fun when you're not working :thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oil Of Oregano, natural anti biotic, good for digestion, circulatory, anti oxidant, arthritis, psoriasis, Kills all fungus and yeast in your body, clears skin. ALLERGIES.
Good book recommendation, "the cure is in the cupboard". The people I know who have tried it love me for it. If you ask your doc he will tell you, Nah.
Im the one who doesnt go to the doctor.

Griff

Wow!! I am only 30 and have screwed up both wrists, a knee an ankle an am now fighting a pinched syatic nerve!!! blue emu did not even touch the pain, neither has ben gay, tylenol advil. The shoes are one thing I don't scrimp on and it does help soooo much!!!

Sounds to me like you aren't using the methods! :wheelchai

helenofcalifornia

I have had intense knee pain for the past years and wear knee braces all the time. I started accupuncture on my knees about 1 month ago and they don't hurt nearly as much. Who knew that this would work. I am going to have it done on my shoulder next. I am a big fan of ibuprofen. Orthotics for your feet if you have the slightest issues. Good thread.

RozUPS

I'm 45 and just started at UPS on the preload a litttle over 2 months. Just got the word that I'm up for Saturday driving..If I survive unloading trailers full of 100 to 140 # irregs and 70+ boxes, driving should not be as bad :w00t: :crying:

lost

Well on somethings I did not, I admit that. My back I hurt at home cooking dinner some how. My ankle was my fault because I did not refuse to work in an unsafe area. My knee is just wear and tear. However I do follow the methods daily now.

Griff

Well on somethings I did not, I admit that. My back I hurt at home cooking dinner some how. My ankle was my fault because I did not refuse to work in an unsafe area. My knee is just wear and tear. However I do follow the methods daily now.

I was being sarcastic, as this is what management will say if you have any physical ailments at all. According to them and liberty mutual, you should be able to do this job from 21 until you're 75 with no injuries or physical issues. Follow the methods and you'll be invincible!

lost

I was being sarcastic, as this is what management will say if you have any physical ailments at all. According to them and liberty mutual, you should be able to do this job from 21 until you're 75 with no injuries or physical issues. Follow the methods and you'll be invincible!

I am part time management, but I don't believe all of that smile*. However I will admit If I had followed some things I could have avoided the ankle injury. I wish I knew about the brown cafe back then so I could asked opinions on my situation back then... I worked in a bay with no light for 4 month and went to pt/mgmt, ft/mgmt the sort manager and maintence and twisted it on a flat pkge in a drop frame. I wish I had refused... 1 1/2 months on crutches was horrible...!!!