support

area43

Just a few other things Ive been doing. Elevation, the best way to ease the pain in the knees. Over time, Gravity is the killer. When I watch tv at night, I will lay on the floor elevating my legs and feet at a 45 degree (just like you do with a heart attack victim) lol. The higher the elevation the better. I do this for about 15 to 20 min. Pop a couple aspirins before you start to get the blood thinning going to increase that circulation when elevated. The results of this will be felt immediately. They do sell elevation swivel stretchers(most sporting goods store). That puts the whole body at any angle you want. That would be good for neck, back, well ,heck the whole body lol.

area43

Elevation is something I have been doing for about 4 yrs. When I watch tv at night, I will lay on the floor and elevate my legs at a 45 degree or higher(like they do with heart attack victims)lol. I take two aspirins before I do this to get the blood thinning going(circulation). I do this for about 15 to 20 min.(you can go longer). The results from this will be felt immediately. The knee pain will go away temporarely. Increasing the time of the elevation will increase the time of relief. They do sell elevation swivel stretchers(sporting good stores) that puts the whole body at an angle. What this does is reverse the affects of gravity(Ladies it also helps with the wrinkles). When I am on my break, I ll lay down in the back,(use dr bags,because the floors nasty) then grab a box to prop the feet,loosen the shoes,pop the pills(sounds like a druggie)lol,and take my 15 to 20 min power nap. As summer approaches, I ll try to find a nice shade tree to park under.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WE will leave them both since they both had good content. I do the same things sometimes. You can delete up to I think 15 minutes after a post tho, just so you know for future reference!:)

area43

Wow!! I am only 30 and have screwed up both wrists, a knee an ankle an am now fighting a pinched syatic nerve!!! blue emu did not even touch the pain, neither has ben gay, tylenol advil. The shoes are one thing I don't scrimp on and it does help soooo much!!!
Lost, God made men and women physically different. UPS is a very physical Job. To all the Ladies at UPS I tip my hat to you for hanging in there.

psyclone

A couple of multivitamins and a whey protein shake at the end of my day. The protein really helps with muscle recovery. Course I run the heaviest route in a bulky center.:sad:

Also one orange Rockstar to get me through the day (two if its a bad day)

RozUPS

I'm 45 and just started at UPS on the preload a litttle over 2 months. Just got the word that I'm up for Saturday driving..If I survive unloading trailers full of 100 to 140 # irregs and 70+ boxes, driving should not be as bad :w00t: :crying:

I forgot to add that after I unloaded the first few days, I went to Graingers and bought the best back support belt with lumbar pad. Very suprised that no one else in the operations wears one. Especially the irreg guys:confused:1

SmithBarney

I forgot to add that after I unloaded the first few days, I went to Graingers and bought the best back support belt with lumbar pad. Very suprised that no one else in the operations wears one. Especially the irreg guys:confused:1

Because they are not allowed to be worn at UPS.
Physical Therapists and trainers will tell you, unless you are dead
lifting weights in excess of your body weight, you shouldn't wear one.

oh and a nice find
http://www.cdc.gov/Niosh/backbelt.html

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Because they are not allowed to be worn at UPS.
Physical Therapists and trainers will tell you, unless you are dead
lifting weights in excess of your body weight, you shouldn't wear one.
I don't know about the part UPS doesn't allow them, but my doctor says they don't do any good. They don't protect the muscles that you use in this job. They also give you the false sense of security that you can pick up something you shouldn't.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have never been told we could or couldnt. But a doc I used to have a DO, said in a job like ours, we may become dependent on the extra support, then at home, moving a couch or something, we may not have it on and get hurt. But he also said a human back is only meant to lift 50 pds at a time. So I dont know true or not, but when I need braces to hold my body up,,,,,, I think Ill quit.
although tonight I could have used a body cast.

area43

Hey folks, This is another thing I do to stay in the game. In virgina we get 5 ph's and when you get your 4 wk vacation you can take that one day at a time. So that would be a total of 10 days a year(one day at a time). The 5 sick days we get I bid as a vacation and thats another topic in itself. As we know our single paid days off(ph s/vac days) seem to go quick. Now this next tip depends on your center and your economic situation. I Take as many days as I can get that are non paid days off. This only occurs if your center has extra drivers(volume drop,no one or few on vacation,none or few sick,etc or just plan extras. Yes, it means less money, but the benefits are priceless. Spending time with family,recouperating and just plan relaxing is great. The other benefit, it makes for a short work week. ( : I used to try and get mondays, but the wife told me to try wednesdays(hump day)lol. Taking wednesday is great, really makes the week go faaaasssst.

Last edited:

area43

As we all know time is precious. The effieceny we learn at UPS carries over into our everyday lives. This is what I do to save a few minutes while driving home from work. It works best in spring, summer and some fall days. I have about a 12 to 15 minute commute to my house. There is 4 stop lights on the way home, that will come into play latter on. Ok, so what I start doing when driving home is at the first stop light I start to undress. Now Im not going to get totally naked, LOL. I will first start taking off my boots, I unlace and take them off. I wear 2 pair of shocks because the UPS socks are so cheap. Actually, I still wear some of the first socks with the gold band. After I peel off my socks. I set them to the side. Then I unbutton my UPS shirt and take it off. I also wear a t-shirt and take that off too. Next I will take off my belt and stick it in one of my shoes so it will be ready for tomorrow. I do this either while Im driving or at the lights. I know UPS discourages us in having in cab distractions, but hey Im on my own time. This tip will save you a few minutes. Every minute spent with the wifey and son is precious.

Ear plugs, I use cotton its more comfortable and it alows a little more noise in. This reduces noise stress. Especially on those long days.

DS

Fenderbender
area43 from now on I want you to wait until you are home safe in your driveway before you start undressing.You may be distracted
just long enough to miss something going on around your vehicle.
Your wife and kid deserve you to show up at home every night.