Sups and Managers On Motorcycles

• Thread starter Brown Blood Turning Red
  • Start date
B

Brown Blood Turning Red

I was talking to a couple managers the other day and they told me that they own motorcycles and and love to ride as much as possible. Later it hit me that I've never seen either of them - or any other management person - ride a motorcycle to work. Is there a policy against that?

Do you think that they have to drive cars to work so they can deliver packages?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They would mess their suits up and wouldn't be able to deliver "left in building" packages, two reasons they don't ride bikes. The preferred vehicle is a large SUV of some type.......actually I have never heard of any policy regarding this.:laugh:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was talking to a couple managers the other day and they told me that they own motorcycles and and love to ride as much as possible. Later it hit me that I've never seen either of them - or any other management person - ride a motorcycle to work. Is there a policy against that?

I'd be surprised if there was a policy against riding a motorcycle to work. And no, I don't think the car idea is plausible. If they were to be out delivering, they'd be driving a UPS package car. At my old hub, we had a p/t sup that was a fanatic about his motorcycle. If I recall the story correctly, he was riding into work one day on a relatively quiet side street when he went too fast and went flying over the handlebars. He was gone for over a year in rehab, etc. -Rocky

local804

I'd be surprised if there was a policy against riding a motorcycle to work. And no, I don't think the car idea is plausible. If they were to be out delivering, they'd be driving a UPS package car. At my old hub, we had a p/t sup that was a fanatic about his motorcycle. If I recall the story correctly, he was riding into work one day on a relatively quiet side street when he went too fast and went flying over the handlebars. He was gone for over a year in rehab, etc. -Rocky

Rocky,
You would be surprised when you see the supervisors cramming late in into thier personal cars and running offroutes in them also. VERY rarely do they use a company car to shuttle work or bring out late work. They drive thier personal cars into the building, load them up, and drive out to the route. At Christmas time, BD even shuttles work out in thier personal cars. Our supervisors and managers park thier cars on the company grounds and not in the employee parking lot like everyone else. Do as I say not as I do.

HazMatMan

How could UPS possibly enforce (make) a rule like that? Telling management what kind of vehicles to drive or not to drive.. I don't think they have to drive cars to work so they can deliver, that's what all those brown trucks are for,lol. I have seen sups loading packages into their personal vehicles though, this one was a small sports car but it fit...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have people file greviences on personal vehicles in the Hub's Yard. Unless they are unloading something like the few times we have a cookout or something like that. Our management isn't allowed to park next to the building, they have to use the Employee Parking Lot like everybody else.

local804

We have people file greviences on personal vehicles in the Hub's Yard. Unless they are unloading something like the few times we have a cookout or something like that. Our management isn't allowed to park next to the building, they have to use the Employee Parking Lot like everybody else.

Not in the ELI district scratch. I think it would be a LP problem more than anything but hey, Im only a driver.

cino321

Rocky,
You would be surprised when you see the supervisors cramming late in into thier personal cars and running offroutes in them also. VERY rarely do they use a company car to shuttle work or bring out late work. They drive thier personal cars into the building, load them up, and drive out to the route. At Christmas time, BD even shuttles work out in thier personal cars. Our supervisors and managers park thier cars on the company grounds and not in the employee parking lot like everyone else. Do as I say not as I do.

Same story at Island City here in Maspeth.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky,

804 and Cino...I've never worked Pre-Load (absolutely no interest, either). What I stated was based on what I'd been told. Also, I've been on-road as a helper during Peak in two districts--North Illinois and Rocky Mountain. Only time I saw management in personal cars during either was when they were doing audits. -Rocky

JustTired

free at last.......
I saw one of our sups jump into a p1000 and sideswipe a safety pole going out of the building. How do you think they'd fare on a motorcycle?

Aaron

Not all bikes are loud, just guys that think it's safer, and people can tell where the noise is coming from.

Our sup will drop off boxes and call a driver and give him the tracking number. Well, he tried to, the driver told the sup. "How do I know you actually left it?"

diesel96

Depending what bldg you work out of dictates the resources and availibility of spare vehicles for managers to conduct UPS business.
In our bldg we lobbied for 3 parking spaces be alotted for motorcycles only,and management obliged.
In fact, I ride with a few managers and drivers on the weekend.
Our golden rule is not talking politics or UPS with our valued and limited spare time.(although we've broken that code a few times).
We don't look at it as riding with the "enemy",we look at it as leaving all our stress,personal problems,ego's in check and let "The Ride " take over.
Were all individuals on the weekends and sometimes we just wanna go Hog Wild.
Unfortunatly come Monday morning,we have to conform back to corperate slaves and hourly laborers.
So the answer to your question is yes,their are Mgrs who ride to work in my bldg.And just like Las Vegas,what ever happens during our ride stays in the ride:thumbup1:

toeknee2gx

no there is no rule against it..how can anyone dictate what you are driving to and from work?? thats none of there damn business unless a CAR is a requirement for your particular job. I ride my motorcycle to work nearly everyday...

oper8tor

One reason why I choose not to ride my bike to work is the chance that a driver is injured on road and I need to transport them to the medical center.

hoser

Industrial Slob

At least where I live, using a vehicle for a commercial purpose without commercial insurance is unlawful, so they don't use cars where I am. Or maybe that's because I'm at a metro-hub/centre.

To only allow an employee of your company to arrive to the workplace by their choice of transportation (unless all other modes are unsafe; like you work on top of a mountain and the only way in is on the back of a goat) is not only really stupid, it's pretty damn unconstitutional. I live in the free world, I'll come to work any friend'n way that I like.

That being said, they probably don't ride into work because all the hubs are located in ghettos, the concern over the suits (although any European would disagree with the comment that riding a motorcycle would ruin a suit), and that a lot of avid motorcyclists only ride their bikes for leisure rides, not commuting.

One reason why I choose not to ride my bike to work is the chance that a driver is injured on road and I need to transport them to the medical center.
Because an ambulance is too expensive? Please tell me that you're a joke like salesguy...