Sups working-What do you think will happen?

cyndi91457

If you don't want to be in the position of filing, go to your union stewart and have him file a stewarts grevience for the the highest senior worker.

cyndi91457

Basically yes, i file a couple of times a week for sups working. But remember the senior union person gets paid. At least that is what i file it for unless of course the person that has brought it to my attention wants to file it for him/herself to get paid.

cantwin69

If you assume this guy doesn't want to work, you're wrong.
sounds like this person, just like me, would usually gladly stay to make a liitle more money.

Yeah you're right, I would have gladly done it. The stuff they were doing, I could have done. Typically each sort aisle has a combo job guy/gal in it. These people don't tolerate sups working. I see it all night long, the sups will position themselves behind these people and try and sort a little here and there because they can't see them. It's like a big game. What they don't know is that for the past week, I've been keeping track of this. Since Monday, I have accumulated 2.75 hrs worth of sups working. Before my injury, I worked my*ss off for them. They had me sort two and sometimes three people every night. I got hurt, reported it to my sup, and he tells me,"OK dude, I'll let you go home first tonight" He didn't report it to safety and I was pressured to work for an hour with basically the use off only one arm. I now may have to have surgery on my shoulder. Since the injury, I've been insulted every night, not been paid for a week, and every check since has been off by at least 1/2 hr. I've been consistently lied to and it really makes me sick. The only way to get any of my issues resolved was by going to the union. My eyes have been opened, so to speak, as to the way things really work at UPS.

F

Free money for me

File File and File again!

5 drivers in my hub split $16,000 because of supervisors and casual jumpers working in the hub during peak when the company refused to allow drivers to sign up for that work. (A letter of understanding in our rider says that the company shall exhaust all full time and part time employees before using a casual).

Document every time you see a supervisor work and get plenty of eyes working for you. One tip: agree to share your grievance check won at driver pay with a part-timer, so you both benefit and he spies for you. If you are a steward, use your right to request information to get that hub manager to provide you with documentation on hours his supervisors work and hours worked by the part timers to prove they send people home. If you aren't a steward, become one!

Document any retaliation for filing a grievance. That my friend is a labor board charge.

You are just perpetuating the problem by not doing anything about it now and you won't have those real employees you need next year when it's summer and you are all working 11 hours a day.

It's free money, go get it!

LKLND3380

In our preload, pt. time sups or "non-union loaders" as I call them, work every day, almost the whole shift, except when doing some paperwork or BSing with others. Just the way its been for the last few yrs or so. Loaders can't handle loading the volume of areas without them. Even the preload center manager does hourly work for a few hours a day. I don't hear of anyone filing grievances for preload anymore. Theres fear of harassment, intimidation.

UPS Preloader Gets $1500 From Grieving Supervisors Doing Our Work

(Local 705) Forest Tucker is an Addison preloader. He has been working for UPS for fifteen years.

Last December (2004) Forest Tuckers’ rights were violated under article 3.7 (supervisors working). Forest kept accurate records and then had his steward file a grievance.

Represented at panel by his agent Ken Emanuelson, Forest’s grievance was upheld. Forest was awarded fifty hours at time and one half.

LKLND3380

Im the only hourly hazmat first responder for my building (meaning I do EVERYTHING) Of course there are procedures but rarely are they enforced because the hourly sorters dont know any better to stop the belt and they dont want the center manager screaming at them for stopping the belt for a leak and halting production. I love seeing the center manager's vein pop out of his head when I tell him that Im shutting down the sort to clean up a spill and if he tells me to turn the belt on I am going straight to Safety.

Ask the Center Manager if knows about UPS's settlement with the Enviromental Protection Agency. Then tell him it sure would be pretty bad if ANYONE in the building were to call the EPA and report UPS for violating the terms of the settlement.

The whole reason UPS has Designated Responders certified and then recertified each year is a direct result of the EPA fines and settlement.

I am sure if someone were to call Atlanta and tell them Haz Mats are not being handled properly - Don't Touch, Leave Area, Notify Supervisor & Stop Progression, Notify Designated Responder... ALL HELL would break loose and the center manager would be fired or demoted to on road supe at another center...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Ask the Center Manager if knows about UPS's settlement with the Enviromental Protection Agency. Then tell him it sure would be pretty bad if ANYONE in the building were to call the EPA and report UPS for violating the terms of the settlement: Don't Touch, Leave Area, Notify Supervisor & Stop Progression, Notify Designated Responder...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is pretty funny, considering that it seems like one out of every 200 packages I see are open, leakers or otherwise wet. H*ll, I had one on Thursday. The entire bottm of the package was soaked. I didn't smell anything, so I called my supe. He came down, I gestured to the package and asked if I should I kill the belt. He smelled the air around the package, leaned in close to check the cardboard and said, "Its water. Idiot in the unload...." Killing the belt gets the guy in the control room on the radio IMMEDIATELY, asking why the belt is off. The full-time supe hears that and when he/she shows up....SOMEBODY is gonna regret turning that belt off if it was just water! Usually the hourly gets a lecture about turning the belt off ONLY for a 'true' emergency. -Rocky

cantwin69

HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is pretty funny, considering that it seems like one out of every 200 packages I see are open, leakers or otherwise wet. H*ll, I had one on Thursday. The entire bottm of the package was soaked. I didn't smell anything, so I called my supe. He came down, I gestured to the package and asked if I should I kill the belt. He smelled the air around the package, leaned in close to check the cardboard and said, "Its water. Idiot in the unload...." Killing the belt gets the guy in the control room on the radio IMMEDIATELY, asking why the belt is off. The full-time supe hears that and when he/she shows up....SOMEBODY is gonna regret turning that belt off if it was just water! Usually the hourly gets a lecture about turning the belt off ONLY for a 'true' emergency. -Rocky

very true about the amount of leakers! This one though had all the markings on it including an especially large flammable liquid sticker. I know this because I was taping a box right next to it. It was just thrown under the main sort belt and the liquid combined with the fumes emanating from it gave me quite a buzz for a while:thumbup1: The combo guy who was arguing about stopping the belt last night was followed all night tonight by the supervisor. He was grilling him about the 8 steps for lifting and lowering and the five keys to avoiding slips and falls. Seemed like harassment to me. He was the only one asked these questions. Over and over again.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
very true about the amount of leakers! This one though had all the markings on it including an especially large flammable liquid sticker. I know this because I was taping a box right next to it. It was just thrown under the main sort belt and the liquid combined with the fumes emanating from it gave me quite a buzz for a while:thumbup1: The combo guy who was arguing about stopping the belt last night was followed all night tonight by the supervisor. He was grilling him about the 8 steps for lifting and lowering and the five keys to avoiding slips and falls. Seemed like harassment to me. He was the only one asked these questions. Over and over again.

I have one supervisor...he is 3 years younger than me...meaning he is 22. He does what I tell him to do.

He comes to ask me those questions and I get out my cheat sheet and read them to him.

Fnix

What do you do if you find a leaking package or a package generating smoke?

Hold your breath and keep unloading.

FromBluetoBrown

Ask the Center Manager if knows about UPS's settlement with the Enviromental Protection Agency. Then tell him it sure would be pretty bad if ANYONE in the building were to call the EPA and report UPS for violating the terms of the settlement.

The whole reason UPS has Designated Responders certified and then recertified each year is a direct result of the EPA fines and settlement.

I am sure if someone were to call Atlanta and tell them Haz Mats are not being handled properly - Don't Touch, Leave Area, Notify Supervisor & Stop Progression, Notify Designated Responder... ALL HELL would break loose and the center manager would be fired or demoted to on road supe at another center...

Its pretty funny that you bring that up because we had an incident a few weeks ago where a driver was out on the road and he kept smelling fumes in his package car and they were making him dizzy and lightheaded so he pulled over and called the Center and let them know and asked if they could get someone out there, and do you know what the response was? "Well, can you still make your deliveries?" I think he wrote about 6 grievances and made a few calls to anoymous hotline.

Q

QTT

wow so you're already injured, likely walking around on TAW with a tape gun already making easy money (and you've already got a target on your head for getting injured in the first place, btw), and now you want to grieve the hub division manager...that's smart. unless you want your life to be made a living hell, u probably shouldnt. and under that specific occurrence, how could you have done it if you were on light duty (i only assume this cuz you said you're injured).. ?

as far as the start time issue, if it's set to 23:00 and you begin sorting packages at 22:50, that's your bad. payment will commence at your posted start time...are they actually firing up the entire unload 10 min early? i find that hard to believe, since usually not everybody is present early enough to consistently start that early...in any event, solve the situation for them..hang out in the break room or in your car until its actually time to start work, then show up.

raceanoncr

If you assume this guy doesn't want to work, you're wrong.
sounds like this person, just like me, would usually gladly stay to make a liitle more money.
Does it look like I assume this guy doesn't want to work? If you go back to my thread, I was asking if he was able to perform the work. He said he was on light, injury duty. He didn't say he was able to perform the work the sups were doing.

Sure, you can go ahead and file grievance after grievance. I'm all for it. BUT, all I was asking is, "What if you win and they tell you from now on YOU can do this after your other assignments?" Your physical limitations do not allow you to do this though. What now? You ain't gonna continue to be paid everytime they work when you can't.

As for anonymous or blanket grievances, where the most senior person gets paid...I'm through with that. Did that once. Filed for me when supes were caught driving and I was available. Also told senior available drivers to file, they refused. Know who got paid? Yeah, gutless seniors that didn't want to make company mad. Sorry, ain't doing that no mo

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Does it look like I assume this guy doesn't want to work? If you go back to my thread, I was asking if he was able to perform the work. He said he was on light, injury duty. He didn't say he was able to perform the work the sups were doing.

Sure, you can go ahead and file grievance after grievance. I'm all for it. BUT, all I was asking is, "What if you win and they tell you from now on YOU can do this after your other assignments?" Your physical limitations do not allow you to do this though. What now? You ain't gonna continue to be paid everytime they work when you can't.

As for anonymous or blanket grievances, where the most senior person gets paid...I'm through with that. Did that once. Filed for me when supes were caught driving and I was available. Also told senior available drivers to file, they refused. Know who got paid? Yeah, gutless seniors that didn't want to make company mad. Sorry, ain't doing that no mo

SUPS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO UNION LABOR, IF THEY DO WE ARE ENTITLED TO THE MONEY. END OF STORY.

raceanoncr

SUPS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO UNION LABOR, IF THEY DO WE ARE ENTITLED TO THE MONEY. END OF STORY.

Yes, you are right. Sups are NOT supposed to do union labor. So tell me this: You file, you win, part of the WIN is that they call you everytime this situation arises. Are you physically able? Is THIS guy able to do the extra work?

We had a guy here that, by his own admission, shot himself in the foot. Juniors that started near the same start time as a way senior driver (feeders) were being called in early to do shifting work before their run. Senior driver was not. He filed and won. Guess what? Part of the WIN was that he be available everytime they needed somebody to shift. Wanna guess some more? He DIDN'T want to! Go figger! BUT, if he ever wanted to collect again, he HAD to be willing and available to do the work.

Is he entitled to money if he doesn't WANT to come in when called? If he's called and refuses and they use junior drivers (OK, hit me with the "We're talking about supes and not drivers!" scenario), can he still collect money?

I was merely asking if this guy that started this thread was capable of doing the work he saw sups doing, since he was on injury duty.

And if you want to keep filing for deadbeats that have no backbone of their own to file, and they get paid instead of me...knock yerself out. I ain't doing it no more.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
And if you want to keep filing for deadbeats that have no backbone of their own to file, and they get paid instead of me...knock yerself out. I ain't doing it no more.

I say grieve, Race. I'm just not getting involved. I have a solid spine, thank you VERY much. My full-timer has all but told me--and I somewhat agree--that a supe working grievance is nothing more than unnecessarry flak. However, before I get JUMPED on by a bunch of people, including 705Red, I want to say I HAVE waved the grievance card in the recent past. I waved it on a day where we didn't have doubleshifters and the unload supe decided to unload. I called out, "X, WHY ARE YOU WORKING?? I have a stopwatch up here if ya wanna keep going." He turned in surprise, looked at me and exited the container. A few minutes later, an hourly started unloading. VERY unhappy full-timer. Very happy hourly sorter going by RockyRogue lol. -Rocky

P

pt sup

hello all,i am new to UPS ,and have been here for 2 maybe 3 months now..i was here for 2 weeks b4 i became a PT sup...iv been reading alot of what you guys r saying..and i do..i understand....and from what i see is im here to take the **** from every one ...im like the middle guy...i took the job of PT sup so i wouldnt have to work..i went to school for six years so i wouldnt have to move a box..but at UPS as a PT sup i do all the time...i come in and work 5 1/2 hours a day every day monday through friday the only rule that i keep hearing is dont touch the box..dont do it..if u do it youl be sorry....but on the other hand i have my full time sup telling me ...well is u dont touch that box...you will be sorry eaither way im screwed i cant win..all i can do is sit here and pray i get to be a higher up as soon as i can...and you guys have every right to get mad..but understand that us PT sups are just trying to keep our jobs! we are peons.union has mroe pull then us PT sups...in my center i cant fire anyone at all even if the guy kills someone we cant let them go.......all in all though...i give this job the finger!! i have never been more unhappy! if any other person thinking about becoming a PT sup DONT DO IT........ur FT sup will hate u and the union will hate you..leaving you to die in a fire alone. :-(

LKLND3380

hello all,i am new to UPS ,and have been here for 2 maybe 3 months now..i was here for 2 weeks b4 i became a PT sup...iv been reading alot of what you guys r saying..and i do..i understand....and from what i see is im here to take the **** from every one ...im like the middle guy...i took the job of PT sup so i wouldnt have to work..i went to school for six years so i wouldnt have to move a box..but at UPS as a PT sup i do all the time...i come in and work 5 1/2 hours a day every day monday through friday the only rule that i keep hearing is dont touch the box..dont do it..if u do it youl be sorry....but on the other hand i have my full time sup telling me ...well is u dont touch that box...you will be sorry eaither way im screwed i cant win..all i can do is sit here and pray i get to be a higher up as soon as i can...and you guys have every right to get mad..but understand that us PT sups are just trying to keep our jobs! we are peons.union has mroe pull then us PT sups...in my center i cant fire anyone at all even if the guy kills someone we cant let them go.......all in all though...i give this job the finger!! i have never been more unhappy! if any other person thinking about becoming a PT sup DONT DO IT........ur FT sup will hate u and the union will hate you..leaving you to die in a fire alone. :-(

Didn't you wonder why NO ONE who has been on the preload longer than you did not put their name in for the job? I am sure there are 10 or more people who can run the preload better than you, the FT Supe or Center Manager. But they know the crap thrown at the PT Supes and it is not woth it...

Good Luck... I am sure you will give 110% but at UPS that is not enough... UPS Corporate will show you that you should be doing 120% and once you give them that they will show you new updated figures that you should give 150%... Next thing you will be peing in a bottle because you can't leave the area because you are giving UPS 200% and that will still not be enough...