sups working

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The past 2 days, on one of my shifts, I have 2 p/t sups and 1 friend/t sup working 25 hours.

I am not talking helping here and there, I am talking working straight through (hidden from all stewards, it's a set-up)

Do I put all those hours into one grievance? :D

25 hours x 46.24 = A nice Christmas!

W

westsideworma

Listen, if you're not getting paid for your hours, it will only go on as long as you allow it. If you don't want to work more hours, don't. Tell them you want your money or you're leaving at 5.5 unless you get a day off for all that time your owed if they're not paying you. Guarantee you'll be fine after that. No one should work for free. No one. If something happens to you while you're "not working" its on you, not UPS because your official records will say you were out whenever your 5.5 was up. This is a serious issue, if it goes on, talk to your district HR manager, guaranteed its fixed soon after if not immediately after your talk.

Of course they expect you to work. Do you really think most human beings are able to work day in day out at 250+ pph and never get run down? this is where you come in because though they say you'll be sent help, you and I both know that its never coming unless one of your fellow PT supes goes down early and sends some to you. My area is averaging 1350pcs (per set of package cars, some heavier, some lighter) and we're starting @ 330....BS with a 8:30 projected wrap time. I understand we can't start earlier because the night sort is still running...but we never had that problem until last year. Its (peak) just getting progressively worse each year, you'd think we'd get better at it. We ran out of drivers today...I kid you not. They were asking sat air drivers to run stuff. Doesn't seem too light around these ways, not nearly as light as they warned us it would be (not that I believed it).

I worked all 3 days this week, I'm not proud of it, but I'll admit it. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't but they get mad when you put yourself in the staffing and submit a timecard which shows you had no union employee and YOU did the work. One particular day they took people from another supes area to cover a different area (which had employees not show up) for 30 min and then said they were keeping them! That left this particular supe with two uncovered sets of package cars (its happened to me before too) just so they could cover another area. Robbing peter to pay paul basically. They wonder why supes get frustrated and are lashing out now, we're set up to fail by our own superiors and then get kicked in the face when it comes time to pay us for the extra work (not at my building so far, but I'm told it has happened in the past).

fethrs

We have sups working sometimes, but not most of the time. The union is notified and when they show up, the sups stop working. We had 88,000 packages the other day and no sups were working that I saw. I think every building and center has a different situation even if we share the same contract. I have to say though, I've seen some of these sups kick *ss workwise over much younger guys (me included, but I'm not a guy)

some1else

Banned
Being a small center puts us in a situation where we just don't have enough people sometimes. If more than one person calls in and we can't get someone from another shift to come in then we are screwed and a sup will more than likely have to step in. We don't complain because it's not their fault.

so if the mgmt understaffs, then has a supervisor work its not their fault? im sure you could find someone in your town who would love a job.

Mapp

Choo Choo
Unfortunately it is a common occurrence in my center as well. I have offered solutions especially during this time to stop the part-time sups from having to work constantly but full-time management doesn't want to hear it. Today for example, all 5 of my fellow supervisors worked all day loading, unloading, clerk work ect. and we only had 3 call ins. Its more of a way to hide how much work we really have to make the people up top look better. Also, unfortunately most of the time we don't get compensated for it. I am working around 7 hours a day and still only getting paid for 5.5. Full-time management puts us in a extremely rough situation. :angry:

1st, Dont work off the clock. 2nd Put a timecard in for yourself whenever you do union work as to not articially boost your numbers, then they will be less likely to have you do union work.

Bad Gas!

Our sups run cleanup:cover pickups, run misloads..They are treated almost as bad as drivers by the DM...And we are limited on working our helperswhom make 8.50 an hour....Too much politics in upper mgt...Let us do the job..We see it from the ground level.Not from the latest report..

KidUPS

I believe it boils down to two things...

First, supervisors not holding their employees accountable on attendance. It amazes me in my hub when I hear supervisors talking about how half their staff called in. How they were forced to get in the fray. I simply shake my head when they tell me its the same people over and over again. If you hold employees accountable on attendance...lates/absents...your staffing improves immensely. Yet, for whatever reasons, supervisors are either too lazy or too afraid to confront employees on their attendance. They either wait until their lead gets chewed out from his manager about documenting employees for attendance that they bring out the Pitts for a day or two. That will not get the job done. As a supervisor, documentation is key. Get a little leverage and employees tend to glance the other way when you jump into the fray.

Second, supervisors are not mustering up the courage to confront their employees to get the job done. They rather overuse their best employees and let their difficult employees have their way. Not only is that a recipe for disaster, it is also a recipe for losing your best employees because they feel its not fair how those who bitch and complain have their way all the time. Supervisors do indeed need to let their employees complete the job at hand. No doubt about it. That is the definition of a good supervisor. But in order to achieve that, they must put a little more effort into their way of thinking.

KidUPS

Unfortunately it is a common occurrence in my center as well. I have offered solutions especially during this time to stop the part-time sups from having to work constantly but full-time management doesn't want to hear it. Today for example, all 5 of my fellow supervisors worked all day loading, unloading, clerk work ect. and we only had 3 call ins. Its more of a way to hide how much work we really have to make the people up top look better. Also, unfortunately most of the time we don't get compensated for it. I am working around 7 hours a day and still only getting paid for 5.5. Full-time management puts us in a extremely rough situation. :angry:

Learn your pitts my friend. Learn your pitts. Seek out from another Lead or supervisor if your lead does not want to teach you. I run a crew of nearly 20 employees. Believe me, word gets round that you have zero tolerance on attendance and your calls in nearly decrease to 0. I take it 3 to your crew is anywhere from 30-60% of your staffing??