Swing courier helping out as needed?

F10N55GAP-EM

Hi guys I'm curious as to what defines a "SWING DRIVER". and what the job description entails.im saying this because I've been here 3 weeks now I usually have been driving with a ride along but in the morning I've been helping "as needed" unloading air cans, doing re runs, anything but with the route I'm suppose to be doing,not even loading the truck, my trainer is doing that.im saying this because I see that they don't do that to the other swings or drivers, this is the third day I got put in to unloading the cans and man I'm no stranger to hard work but I commend the guys for doing that day in day out, SERIOUS WORK. I don't mind lending a helping hand but I feel like they're taking advantage. What should I do? Is it like they're testing my worth or something.seeing if I complain? Jesus by the time sort is done and ready to go on road I'm exhausted and my back hurts!! Lol.

F10N55GAP-EM

Hi guys I'm curious as to what defines a "SWING DRIVER". and what the job description entails.im saying this because I've been here 3 weeks now I usually have been driving with a ride along but in the morning I've been helping "as needed" unloading air cans, doing re runs, anything but with the route I'm suppose to be doing,not even loading the truck, my trainer is doing that.im saying this because I see that they don't do that to the other swings or drivers, this is the third day I got put in to unloading the cans and man I'm no stranger to hard work but I commend the guys for doing that day in day out, SERIOUS WORK. I don't mind lending a helping hand but I feel like they're taking advantage. What should I do? Is it like they're testing my worth or something.seeing if I complain? Jesus by the time sort is done and ready to go on road I'm exhausted and my back hurts!! Lol.
I've also been put on to load the box truck bulk routes, then only to move on to my "route". It's like I'm bouncing everywhere but where I'm suppose to be.it just feels off.maybe it's normal? ADVICE PLEASE

Bald1der

As a swing driver you do whatever routes and sort positions are available. Other swing drivers may not have the same duties as you because they have built up vast route and area knowledge. When you start you do odd jobs, then learn p1 and pickup routes, then you learn day routes. There’s a hierarchy based on seniority, knowledge, and skill. The more you learn, the better you are, the more day routes you’ll do.

yadig

Go to UPS

Lates

Been with the company a few years still unloading cans someone has to do it or we’d never get out of the building. I’ve also ran more routes than most of our swings. The job is what you make of it. You aren’t being abused it’s just the job before long other new people will be there and you’ll be doing something else.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I hate to break it to you or to be so blunt, but when you signed to be a swing driver you also signed to be their bitch. As someone already mentioned, the more routes you learn, the better it will get. You’ll still be their bitch though as long as you’re a swing..

By the way, inform your significant other that you won’t be home much, except on weekends, especially through Peak.

SmithBarney

Swing <- its in the title, you swing from here to there and everywhere.

Just wait til the day you are told you are running route A, you load and scan the truck,
then told you are needed to run route B, so you scan that truck,
and then finally 10 minutes before scheduled leave building you are told you are running route C which is a part time route and then you need to run a Pickup route that night.

Good luck, swing driving isn't for everyone, and FedEx should never hire Swings off the street, but it just goes to show current employees don't think its a desirable position.

yadig

Just wait til the day you are told you are running route A, you load and scan the truck,
and then finally 10 minutes before scheduled leave building you are told you are running route C which is a part time route and then you need to run a Pickup route that night.

Good luck, swing driving isn't for everyone, and FedEx should never hire Swings off the street, but it just goes to show current employees don't think its a desirable position.
My wife and I swing

whenIgetthere

Bingo!

McFeely

Huge Member
Just 3 days unloading cans? I guarantee just about EVERY Express driver has unloaded cans, loaded cans, pulled cans off a CTV, scanned docs, split the belt, loaded 3 trucks (or more), etc.

That’s the job and being a swing got you more money to do the same job as the rest of us but without any predictable shift/route.

Better get used to it or get out. I’d guess your job offer/description highlights all of this.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Wait until you get to do that in summer. You think you’re exhausted now! In the summer you’re exhausted from sweating all morning and unloading cans. Then you get to go in your truck and sweat some more.