Swing Driver

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm a swing in a station with enough swings where they put the swings where they are strongest.

In other words, I'm sent farther out than other swings because other swings can't handle making decisions on the fly and their mapping skills are.... lacking.

That doesn't mean that I'm never given a :censored2:ty in-town route. It just lessens the chance. I would talk with your stations swings and ask them how it is. Personally..... I took this job to get out of a dead-end job that paid quite a bit less with more stress.

tl;dr.... talk to your other swings. They know your management better than any of us internet aces would.

This. Scheduling of swings is at the discretion of station management. Some put swings where they are most effective. Others let them pick what they want to do based on seniority. And then there are some that defy all reasoning.

Serf

Just my .2 cents: We have had 3 Handlers with less than 2 years on the job upgrade to FT Swings. Why? How? I don't know. What I do know is that they simply cannot do the job. And management is cringing.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Just my .2 cents: We have had 3 Handlers with less than 2 years on the job upgrade to FT Swings. Why? How? I don't know. What I do know is that they simply cannot do the job. And management is cringing.
Because they had positions they couldn't fill so they let the handlers apply. It's happened at my station multiple times with the same results. Lol.

SmithBarney

Because nobody else wanted the positions, our last 3 swings were all hired(and subsequently fired) off the street.
Bottom line, FedEx needs to incentivize the swing position, currently the extra $1-2 is not enough to entice couriers to a life of Russian route roulette that happens everyday regardless of what the schedule says. I bet couriers would line up or at least think about it if it was a $5 difference in pay.

Oldfart

Because nobody else wanted the positions, our last 3 swings were all hired(and subsequently fired) off the street.
Bottom line, FedEx needs to incentivize the swing position, currently the extra $1-2 is not enough to entice couriers to a life of Russian route roulette that happens everyday regardless of what the schedule says. I bet couriers would line up or at least think about it if it was a $5 difference in pay.
For top range people, the difference is $3.20 or so where I am.

Oldfart

You do realize how long it takes to top out don't you?

I was stating a fact. You know, kinda like how I had to explain to you how time keeping works last week. Facts and math dont seem to be your strong point. I have no idea how long it takes to top out. Never really thought about it.

l22

There is a swing position open at my station. I'm currently part time and not sure if I should bid on it. I've been told by other couriers it's better to stay part time because management has less control over me. Thoughts ?

If you want to make 50-70k a year (the latter number if you work a lot of Saturdays), I'd do it. Having said that, the job is not good - it will drain you. And everyone knows that -- but it's a JOB. Once you take a swing gig, you need to step your safety game up even more because you will be thrown into random places/areas you're not familiar with at all - that is the job. But as long as you focus on driving safe/proper and consistent work methods and understand that you're going to get screwed out there on the route and you can stay cool under that, you will be fine and you will be making good money.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

If you want to make 50-70k a year (the latter number if you work a lot of Saturdays), I'd do it. Having said that, the job is not good - it will drain you. And everyone knows that -- but it's a JOB. Once you take a swing gig, you need to step your safety game up even more because you will be thrown into random places/areas you're not familiar with at all - that is the job. But as long as you focus on driving safe/proper and consistent work methods and understand that you're going to get screwed out there on the route and you can stay cool under that, you will be fine and you will be making good money.
50-70k/yr HAHAHAA maybe a topped out crr. 10yrs and under swing working 37(minimums) to 50hrs/wk will make 30k-35k roughly. you won't ever consistently get 10hrs of OT.
But everything else is right, you are the whipping boy/girl you'll get whipped around and you'll like it.