Take advantage of your UPS healthcare before the switch to Teamcare

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Instead of bariatric surgery they have this thing.. :censored2: what is it... Oh Ya! Its called exercise.

....and people call me a jerk?

Bariatric surgery is more often than not considered to be the last option for mildly to morbidly obese people for whom walking the mall just ain't gonna cut it. The success of this surgery requires a complete lifestyle change which would include exercise.

You must be a skinny person.

Bariatric surgery is more often than not considered to be the last option for mildly to morbidly obese people for whom walking the mall just ain't gonna cut it. The success of this surgery requires a complete lifestyle change which would include exercise.

He has a point. If folks would get out and even just walk it will help manage weight, along with better diet habits, long before the bariatric surgery is an option. And doctors will have told the person that also.

P.s. Don't be throwing the "skinny person" rock. Use bigger people don't like it. :)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Neither plan covers smoking cession and I paid for it on my own. I paid for shots, gum, patches, and finally Chantix. Everything prior to Chantix would get me to stop for about 3 weeks afterwards and somehow I'd start again. Chantix is the most expensive, yet effective treatment to date for me as I've been smoke free for 4 years.

Point behind this is changing your life for the better shouldn't matter if it's covered under insurance. We as FT drivers make enough money to afford the improvements in our lives with our own cash.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Neither plan covers smoking cession and I paid for it on my own. I paid for shots, gum, patches, and finally Chantix. Everything prior to Chantix would get me to stop for about 3 weeks afterwards and somehow I'd start again. Chantix is the most expensive, yet effective treatment to date for me as I've been smoke free for 4 years.

Point behind this is changing your life for the better shouldn't matter if it's covered under insurance. We as FT drivers make enough money to afford the improvements in our lives with our own cash.
But you could have made a couple of payments on a BRAND NEW CAR with that money! :foamfinger:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
But you could have made a couple of payments on a BRAND NEW CAR with that money! :foamfinger:
Which reiterates my point about people in general. When they have to fork over thier own money to do these things and finally say, "I'm ready to change!" it holds more weight as they are on the hook for it.

If we had programs like stop smoking and weight loss rembursment with no hitch on it, our insurance premiums would be even more of a fight.

I would like to see more initiative out of UPS to reward positive behavior for the aforementioned issues instead of negative ones they've done, as an example of management, increasing premiums if you smoke. What positive initiatives, if any, has UPS given management about smoking or weight loss? I know it might be more of an issue to implement with the union workforce.

Which reiterates my point about people in general. When they have to fork over thier own money to do these things and finally say, "I'm ready to change!" it holds more weight as they are on the hook for it.

If we had programs like stop smoking and weight loss rembursment with no hitch on it, our insurance premiums would be even more of a fight.

I would like to see more initiative out of UPS to reward positive behavior for the aforementioned issues instead of negative ones they've done, as an example of management, increasing premiums if you smoke. What positive initiatives, if any, has UPS given management about smoking or weight loss? I know it might be more of an issue to implement with the union workforce.

I'd rather spend money to help you stop smoking or lose weight as a preventative measure than pay for your cancer treatments or bariatric surgery as a last resort.

gingerkat

I'm going to agree with you 100% Dave. I actually know 4 people that have gone through 2 difference types of surgery in about 15 years span. It's been a constant struggle for all of them. People assume that this weight loss is easy, but it's difficult. I've gone to support groups with these friends and I admit sharing many tears of joy and heartbreak.

I admit having my own struggles with weight and will always have a "fat brain" but living inside a small body. I understand their struggles and never pick apart or make fun of how someone decides to lose weight. Having your tummy cut open and your innards taken out seems very scary to me!

Dave, sometimes you surprise me with your gentle nature. (It was a gentle natured response, right? lol)

jaker

trolling
I got lap band trough insurance and I lost 70lbs and got down to 205lbs that was back in 2011 , now I weight 215 and I gained that just from bad eating habits ( like eating at 8pm ) and eating a little to much

Which is really easy to do this day in age , me and the wife now spilt everything when we eat out and still leave food on the table

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I got lap band trough insurance and I lost 70lbs and got down to 205lbs that was back in 2011 , now I weight 215 and I gained that just from bad eating habits ( like eating at 8pm ) and eating a little to much

Which is really easy to do this day in age , me and the wife now spilt everything when we eat out and still leave food on the table

Workout!!

Buy a bench press machine and couple dumbbells and do 6-8 sets every other day: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. You gotta have time, its easy.

jaker

trolling
Workout!!

Buy a bench press machine and couple dumbbells and do 6-8 sets every other day: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. You gotta have time, its easy.
I know you are not a driver so having free time during the week is a little hard for you to understand maybe one day you will find out

But let me give you a day in my life , I know it can still be an excuse but it my life

Up at 5am leave the house at 630 am , start work at 8am get off at 7pm get home at 8pm and go to bed at 10pm , I know I have 2hrs of free time but I choose to use that for my family

And I will put money on it that I move more then you and eat less then you but at the age of 40 the body is not the same as a 20yr old punk

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I know you are not a driver so having free time during the week is a little hard for you to understand maybe one day you will find out

But let me give you a day in my life , I know it can still be an excuse but it my life

Up at 5am leave the house at 630 am , start work at 8am get off at 7pm get home at 8pm and go to bed at 10pm , I know I have 2hrs of free time but I choose to use that for my family

And I will put money on it that I move more then you and eat less then you but at the age of 40 the body is not the same as a 20yr old punk
Damm pop pop you go to bed early lol. Im up til 1am at least every night. Up at 630 and getting home between 8 and 9 normally. Yeah I don't sweat how much sleep I get. Worst thing that happens is your a lil tired when you get to work but as soon as you get to that 1st stop for your :censored2: whoopin, you don't have time to think about being tired lol. And im 41 years old too lol.

jaker

trolling
Damm pop pop you go to bed early lol. Im up til 1am at least every night. Up at 630 and getting home between 8 and 9 normally. Yeah I don't sweat how much sleep I get. Worst thing that happens is your a lil tired when you get to work but as soon as you get to that 1st stop for your :censored2: whoopin, you don't have time to think about being tired lol. And im 41 years old too lol.
I don't know how you do it on 5hrs of sleep , I like to stay up but man I need my sleep during the week

Squint

No more work for me!
Wife had a hip replacement a little over a year ago. The bill from all the doctors and the hospital stay was huge, $160,000+. Now she is experiencing pain in her other hip and I'm encouraging her to get to the doctor so we can get this taken care of before the last of the supplements are ratified. Paying 20% on that would really stricken us with fear.