Taking a pay-cut?

W

westsideworma

they didn't lower the starting wage. My brotherhad a jb at UPS in 1987 and it was $8.50/hr. So the wage is still the same but given increases in minimum wage and cost of living, then I suppose you could say that they are paid less. You can get a job these days at a convenience store making about the same amount of money and not having to do the physical labor involved at UPS.

My uncle must be full of it haha, he worked there 1981-86 (while in college haha) and he could have swore they made more than 8.50....whether he did or not I obviously don't really know and I bet he doesn't either (it was over 20 yrs ago lol) thats the only reason I say that they made more.

Actually most places around here pay better than UPS (11.50 an hour), but the benies aren't as good. I'm just saying you get what you pay for and the work we do is hard as well, maybe not 8-12 hrs of it like the drivers, but 5-6hrs to load 1200 pieces (well if you're a preloader) ain't no cakewalk either.

Our raises are decent however, it takes 4 years to even be eligible to get them via wage progression...I think thats what really bothers people. Maybe not even the 4 years part but the fact the raises are paltry. After 4 years we make 12.25 (if you're a preloader/sort) drivers are at 27-28+ in 2.5. No I'm not saying we need (or deserve) driver rates...but 12.25 isn't much considering what they expect of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

vin

Hence the reason we generally attract the bottom of the barrel. I am a part timer, I'm using UPS for schooling and little else. Why did they drop the rate for the PT people? It was higher in the early 80s (according to people who were hired then), why did it change?
Yes the starting wage was higher in the early 80s than it is now. Not sure why it was changed, but one of the guys I work with who has been with the company 25+ years told me they couldn't keep people back then either. I think we would have better retention and the quality of the people we do get would be better if the company paid a little more but I'm sure there would still be high turnover.

vin

they didn't lower the starting wage. My brotherhad a jb at UPS in 1987 and it was $8.50/hr. So the wage is still the same but given increases in minuimum wage and cost of living, then I suppose you could say that they are paid less. You can get a job these days at a convenience store making about the same amount of money and not having to do the physical labor involved at UPS.
What is even worse than them keeping the starting wage so low for so long was when they eliminated progression for part timers to top rate. Someone told me that this happened in the 83 contract, which might also be when they cut the starting wage back.

W

westsideworma

Yes the starting wage was higher in the early 80s than it is now. Not sure why it was changed, but one of the guys I work with who has been with the company 25+ years told me they couldn't keep people back then either. I think we would have better retention and the quality of the people we do get would be better if the company paid a little more but I'm sure there would still be high turnover.

I agree about the turnover, but I think the current starting wage contributes to that problem, preload as a 130% turnover rate...ours anyway...not sure how that is even possible haha. Hard work, unrealistic expectations for peanuts (new hires with the initiation fee and the dues being taken out) doesn't help with retention.

I use this place for benefits and little else but extra money is always nice :wink:

browniehound

Back in '92 I was working in a warehouse at Logan Airport for Duty Free Shoppers and making $5.75 per hour. I worked with a guy who worked there full-time but also work at the Boston gateway at night for $9.50 per hour. I was thinking to myself that this guy is making almost as much part-time as he is full-time by working for UPS. This guy eventually became a UPS driver years later.

But when I applied at UPS 7 years later I did so with the understanding that their wage would have grown over 7 years. It had not. Did not matter, I needed the benefits(worth more than you can put a price tag on) so I stayed. Here we are 15 years later and the starting wage for PT has not changed. I do feel sorry for you guys:blushing:

705red

Browncafe Steward
The DHL driver that covers the same area as I do told me straight out one day when we were talking shop. And I verified it with others as well.
Is he union? Part of your local? Here they start as casual at $15 an hour and top out $24 and change, not bad for 49-50 stops a day out of a minivan(soccer moms)!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
In my neck of the woods DHL drivers are not unionized and work for contractors. Their drivers start out at $8.25. Sad!!