Talk customer service and technology

Channahon

Recently ordered on line, the package was shipped from Cerritos on 12-4. I received an email from the company when pacakge was manifested to UPS. Received another email from the company when the package made it to CACH on 12-7 (quick trip from CA to Il) and a final email to let me know the package was at my front door. Talk about perfect tracking information.

This I believe separates UPS from the competition when it comes to customer service for both the shipper and consignee.

All too often, the negative aspects of our service is noted on this board, but I'll tell you what, I don't think there is a carrier that has it more together than UPS, and their Employees.

Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
The one thing I always hear about from customers is just how good our tracking system is . . . this while they're in the midst of berating me about brokerage fees.

705red

Browncafe Steward
My customers really like the phone call they receive from ups to let them know that their wine will be delivered and that we will need an adult signature for it. Now this saves us drivers alot of time and cuts down on the send agains.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My customers really like the phone call they receive from ups to let them know that their wine will be delivered and that we will need an adult signature for it. Now this saves us drivers alot of time and cuts down on the send agains.

Since when has this been happening? I always make three attempts and send half of them back. As far as Channahon's original points, I agree. I track stuff when I order it and know when to expect it. Unfortunately, the driver to my house is too lazy to ring the door bell or knock on it. The last two times I ordered something and tracked it, I found it on my porch after seeing it delivered online. I was home waiting for them both times, lights on and cars in the driveway. He's quiet, my dog doesn't hear him either.

outamyway

I'd like to know how to beat the canine radar. I think everyone in vegas owns a dog.

Just wait till we stick a micro GPS tracker in every label.
"out for delivery" nope it's still sitting at the building!

over9five

Staff member
"He's quiet, my dog doesn't hear him either."

Scratch, this is known as "stealth mode". We use it when we go to a customers house who we don't want to talk to.

Now tell us, what have you done to your driver that he doesn't want to deal with you?????

LOL!

worldwide

UPS Voice Notification

UPS Voice NotificationSM is an enhancement to selected pickup and delivery services. The service automatically calls recipients to advise when certain types of shipments will be delivered or collected so that someone can be available to complete the delivery or collection.

Voice Notification, which is provided at no additional cost, gives recipients valuable advance notice of shipments that are sent with these optional services:
--Signature Required shipments to residential addresses
--Adult Signature Required shipments to residential addresses
--Collect on Delivery (C.O.D.) shipments to residential addresses
--3 UPS Pickup Attempts on Return Services
--Call Tag return shipments

To order Voice Notification, simply provide the recipient's phone number and check the Residential Address box, where appropriate, in the UPS online shipping application when creating a shipment.

Calls are made one day prior to the collection or delivery date or, for next-day services, on the day of the collection or delivery.

Voice Notification calls are made during the business week between 8:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., and between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, in the recipient's local time zone.
Recipients have the option to hear their notifications in either English or Spanish when they answer the call.

If no one is available to answer the call, our system will leave a message on an answering machine or voicemail with information about the package(s).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
"He's quiet, my dog doesn't hear him either."

Scratch, this is known as "stealth mode". We use it when we go to a customers house who we don't want to talk to.

Now tell us, what have you done to your driver that he doesn't want to deal with you?????

LOL!

I haven't done anything to the one I have now, I haven't met him. I have offered a cold beer to the one I had before this one if I happened to be outside.:wink2: I usually am home by 6 from a different Hub. The drivers around my neighborhood usually come by about eight at night. I'm glad my Center moved out of that Hub.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'd like to know how to beat the canine radar. I think everyone in vegas owns a dog.

My helper says to me everyday that he thinks everybody in the small town I deliver in has a dog. Every house we deliver to a dog attacks the door. EVERY house. He's the only one that lives in the town that does not.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He lives in a town where the owners are smarter than the dog and they know how to control them.
I deliver in a town like that, I dont even care anymore if I get bit. Ill sue somebody.
After awhile you just get tired of being afraid, and defensive. Answer the door with your dog, I get bit, Ill own your home.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I apologize if this thread is intended towards the (face to face) type employees that are out there doing the work (including myself) daily....

But my gripe of the year; The 1-800-Pick-UPS 1-800-833-9943 etc are very, very generic and (at least at our building/centers) lack coordination and etc.

First example - very easy to understand; customers are coming in saying that our counter opens at 10am. We open at 8, but UPS.com and the 800 number both proclaim 10am! This has been proven impossible to update.

Secondly, there's huge flaws in the DCR flagging system exposed every day. Too many to detail, but one example; often customers with multiple package infonotices only have ONE packaged assigned a DCR and the others missing...leading the customer to find only one avaiable while 3 are on the vehicle ofd...

The 1-800 service tells customers that packages on the vehicle THE SAME DAY will be available at the counters that day..........

Chuckle...happens at least 3-4 times a day...

There's plenty more gripes but overall, the coordiantion of data and the 1-800 # somewhere probably Libya severely lacks.

A

A C Carvalho

I apologize....

But my gripe of the year; The 1-800-Pick-UPS 1-800-833-9943 etc are very, very generic and (at least at our building/centers) lack coordination and etc.

The 1-800 service tells customers that packages on the vehicle THE SAME DAY will be available at the counters that day..........
There were a few multi-center buildings doing this, noting on the InfoNotice that the package would be available after 6:30PM, with the counter staying open 'til 8PM. It does not work so well during peak!

Channahon

UPS technology only gets better. I received an email from shipper in North Carolina. Simply had to click on UPS Tracking Link and voila - all tracking and scheduled delivery info listed.

No more cut and copy tracking number to UPS.com, now there is a timesaver, even for a retiree!!

UPS technology only gets better. I received an email from shipper in North Carolina. Simply had to click on UPS Tracking Link and voila - all tracking and scheduled delivery info listed.

No more cut and copy tracking number to UPS.com, now there is a timesaver, even for a retiree!!

That should be the norm for every carrier and online retailer these days. It's fairly easy to generate emails based on events. And any web developer should be able to write code for those kind of hyperlinks in his sleep.

sx2700

Banned
He lives in a town where the owners are smarter than the dog and they know how to control them.
I deliver in a town like that, I dont even care anymore if I get bit. Ill sue somebody.
After awhile you just get tired of being afraid, and defensive. Answer the door with your dog, I get bit, Ill own your home.

Sounds like the American dream, sue anybody for any reason. Gotta keep those lawyers rich. I think a better idea would be to beat the snot out of the dog and the homeowner with his own package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I ordered wheels and tires for my Colorado over the weekend, received a confirmation e-mail (auto-reply) the same day, received another e-mail on Monday with tracking numbers which, when clicked on, give package progress (updated daily) with scheduled delivery date. I will take these tracking numbers in tomorrow (I have today off) and give them to the dispatch sup so that he can put them on hold for me as I don't want to work around 4 tires already mounted, balanced and full of air all day. I will simply throw them in the back of the Colorado when I get off road.

I never knew about UPS Voice Notification SM (Service Mark) but think that it is a wonderful innovation which should help both the consignee and, more importantly, the driver.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I never knew about UPS Voice Notification SM (Service Mark) but think that it is a wonderful innovation which should help both the consignee and, more importantly, the driver.

Sometimes it works. It doesn't work for hte idiots who don't remember ordering stuff and then leave you a note on the 3rd attempt to redirect.