Tattletale Drivers

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In the old days, this problem would have been dealt with by other drivers, and that person would never do it again. We have plenty of burners in feeders who cause problems for the rest of us, but no one runs to management to say anything. We talk to these burners to warn them that they are one accident away from working for another company, but rarely does it work.

We had a burner, who is known for not pre-tripping tractors and trailers, go to the railyard and pick up a 53' container. He just backed up under it, hooked up his hoses and took off to a city hub about 45 miles away. He got to the hub, dropped it, and took off. The next driver hooked up to it, and noticed that the front of the container was 6" away from the front of the chassis. He walked around to the back of the box and noticed that it was sitting on top of the pins! The original driver never bothered to check to see if the pins were in the hole, much less to lock them in. He's fortunate that he didn't kill someone by losing that box on the highway.

But he's a burner, his numbers look good, so he never got written up. If he loses that box, he would no longer work here.

In the old days, this problem would have been dealt with by other drivers, and that person would never do it again. We have plenty of burners in feeders who cause problems for the rest of us, but no one runs to management to say anything. We talk to these burners to warn them that they are one accident away from working for another company, but rarely does it work.

We had a burner, who is known for not pre-tripping tractors and trailers, go to the railyard and pick up a 53' container. He just backed up under it, hooked up his hoses and took off to a city hub about 45 miles away. He got to the hub, dropped it, and took off. The next driver hooked up to it, and noticed that the front of the container was 6" away from the front of the chassis. He walked around to the back of the box and noticed that it was sitting on top of the pins! The original driver never bothered to check to see if the pins were in the hole, much less to lock them in. He's fortunate that he didn't kill someone by losing that box on the highway.

But he's a burner, his numbers look good, so he never got written up. If he loses that box, he would no longer work here.

That get's handled by informing mgmt of the problems found on the trailer. Not so and so brought this in. Just "These are the problems I've found". And believe me I've found hundreds of problems with those containers. At one point I spoke to a steward about this and he said "You're not ratting out the union member that brought it in. You saving the union member that'll move it next".

Integrity

Binge Poster

Dracula,

So you don't feel you have an obligation to report someone who is putting other union members, their families, your family in danger?

Everyone's families drive on the same highways as teamsters.

These types of drivers do not deserve to have a job driving the highways of this land let alone be in a union.

Sincerely,
I

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do these little rats know that they could loose their union card ??
Talk to this rat and let them know we don't tell the S.S (salaried sups) anything !! If you get nowhere with them, contact your steward to adjust his/her childish behavior !

Never heard of this happening? The Union can't (or won't) even get guys to take a full lunch, never mind pulling cards.

FilingBluesFL

I've heard threats from one steward of the Teamsters pulling union cards, but of course it turned out to just be BS, and nothing was done about the "problem" that prompted the discussion.

I more see the "Teachers Pet" syndrome with hourlies in the building, letting supervisors do their work for them, and handle packages, and then when you bring them a grievance to sign because they were witness to it, somehow they become illiterate, or blind, and can't put their name on it because they didn't see a thing when one of the cars they had stacked out magically became loaded and put away.

Those are the people I could care less about.

FilingBluesFL

No just got worse. Whole office parties got to go to private resorts and spas. On our dime. Wish I could find where the picture of the guy in a hot tub holding a glass of wine is

You mean our friend from the GAO???

6053-neely.jpg

Ouch

Being a steward i will say something to the employee. If it does not directly affect me and the employee doesn't take my advice then i will wait to be called into the office with them. I would never ever go to management about another union member or their wrong doings.

Dracula

Dracula,

So you don't feel you have an obligation to report someone who is putting other union members, their families, your family in danger?

Everyone's families drive on the same highways as teamsters.

These types of drivers do not deserve to have a job driving the highways of this land let alone be in a union.

Sincerely,
I

This is a story I heard about a week after it happened. I'm not the union police, friend. This guy used to run a route that carried preload boxes back to his destination. He would fly like the wind to get those preload boxes back. In the process, he would fly past other drivers running the same route. They would ask him why he drove so fast, and he would say, "They want these preload boxes back on time."

I run a route from point A to point D. This clown now runs a route the same way I do, except he only goes to point C. He starts two and a half hours after I do. On my way back home, he always blows by me like I'm standing still. I asked him why he drives so fast, and he told me he has to be at his Army Reserve unit early Saturday morning. The day I asked him, it was a Wednesday morning. "You have Army Reserve on Wednesday afternoon?" He just walked off without answering.

Bottom line, you can't fix stupid.

Dracula

That get's handled by informing mgmt of the problems found on the trailer. Not so and so brought this in. Just "These are the problems I've found". And believe me I've found hundreds of problems with those containers. At one point I spoke to a steward about this and he said "You're not ratting out the union member that brought it in. You saving the union member that'll move it next".

Completely agree. And that's what I do. I get mechanics in my home building and my destination building always caliing me out because I'm back at the shop 3 or 4 days a week. They ask me why I'm back there so much. "Why don't the other drivers bring their equipment back here as much as you do?", they ask me. I tell them that I don't know why so many other drivers don't do their job. I just ask them, "Are you telling me this is safe or in compliance with DOT regulations?" That usually gets them to do their job. And to be fair, I deal with plenty of stand-up mechanics who only ride my ass in a kidding kind of way. They appreciate the job security I give them.