Tattoo Policy

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Wow, very interesting turn of events. I wonder if this had anything to do with the driver I saw in Tequesta, FL yesterday, that was wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants, even though it's in the 90's here.

tourists24

People are all over the place on this. Has anyone ever seen anything regarding tatoos on paper? Because I have my original paper work from when I was hired and it does not say that tatoos are not allowed. Plain and simple! Ups has the right to set standards, but at the same time they cannot change the way they have been doing things for years. A company that has a union representing its work force cannot now say that an employee that was hired 15 years ago to drive who had tatoos must now cover them up. It was good enough for them when they hired him. The maintenance of standards clause in our contract states that all working conditions will remain the same. Now a couple years in to a new contract UPS wants to change these conditions without contacting and addressing this with the union? They might get away with it until an arbitrator rules on it, but in the end UPS will lose it and also they will be responsible to pay for any driver that lost time due to this policy change.
which is why panel/arbitration decisions are being won for drivers who have had them for years. New tattooed people are kiind of screwed. Of course, it's up to your local's leadership to take these cases to panel

UPS Lifer

Red,
This is not a case of black vs. white. Tats are a very grey area. Cases can be made on both sides of the coin. If I had to put my money on this, I would say an arbitrator would rule that a tats must be covered up if the company chooses to enforce a no visible tat appearance guideline. Where the union could make a case is in the fair enforcement of the guideline. My guess would be that you could force the company to provide a rule or well defined guideline that is black and white rather than the subjective one that is being used right now. Not sure that management or the union really wants to go down that road. Remember, this is not a freedom of speech or expression issue. You are being paid to work for the company and they can set reasonable standards, rules and guidelines to perform that work in a manner that they deem appropriate to preserve & protect the UPS brand and reputation which is a formidable asset.

I am not saying that is the right way to go....
BUT, I will certainly differ with you here... There is no policy change. There has always been issues with the enforcement of the Appearance Guidelines. Again as you already know, anyone who is in front of the customer has to meet a different set of appearance guidelines than a person who has no customer contact, such as a hubperson. Over the years the appearance guidelines have shifted slightly. In the end, it boils down to everyone's perceptions and their take on how tats affect them. Some of these tats can be offensive as well. I know this is also subjective, but it is an issue. Another point to be made is what type of distraction are the tats? How do customers react and how does it reflect on what UPS wants to portray to the public?

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
which is why panel/arbitration decisions are being won for drivers who have had them for years. New tattooed people are kiind of screwed. Of course, it's up to your local's leadership to take these cases to panel

Does anyone have proof of a decision any where they can send me. I want to have proof in hand to help this case in our building and local. Thanks in advance...

just interested

Wow, very interesting turn of events. I wonder if this had anything to do with the driver I saw in Tequesta, FL yesterday, that was wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants, even though it's in the 90's here.

Just recently finished Integrad where we were told long sleeve shirts to cover a tattoo can be worn with shorts.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
I have had visible tattoos since I started driving a package car in 1994 and I have never been told to put on a long sleeved shirt before I could take out my route. I have never signed anything or seen anything that had the word tattoo on it. I really believe that tattoos have become more popular and that is why it has become an issue.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
we had a male driver a while back that had hair down to his shoulder blades. he had it tucked in his hat for years. One day some sups somewhere saw him and reported him and they told him he had to get it cut above the collar. He argued it since he had it hidden all that time and no one was the wiser. Even the other drivers had no idea how long his hair really was. eventually, displeased, he ended up quiting over the whole thing. He tried to get his job back and tehy said no since he signed the papers to resign. They had been trying to get him fired for a long time and this was how they ended up getting him. Broke him down.

stink219

I have a copy of the UPS Policy Book. The word "tattoo" or any likeness of the word does not exist in the policy book. They can arbitrate on a case by case basis. The 3 criteria for tattoos 1. Coverage 2. Deemed offensive (I will add, by court of law, what is considered offensive is a tattoo that may contain nudity, vulgarity and/or symbols of hatered of a race, culture or religion. It doesn't mean that your center manager can just say he is offended by them.) 3. Offensive towards company employees, customers or general public. I have over 500 signatures for customers and coworkers stating that my tattoos are not offensive. Tattoos do not make you a bad drive, ignorancy may. It's 2011. UPS can buy anything, except a CLUE!

And what does the year 2011 have to do with the price of bread. So what if the word does not appear in the policy book. There are rules and, then ther are policies. Nobody forced you to work for ups and have to follow their rules.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have a copy of the UPS Policy Book. The word "tattoo" or any likeness of the word does not exist in the policy book. They can arbitrate on a case by case basis. The 3 criteria for tattoos 1. Coverage 2. Deemed offensive (I will add, by court of law, what is considered offensive is a tattoo that may contain nudity, vulgarity and/or symbols of hatered of a race, culture or religion. It doesn't mean that your center manager can just say he is offended by them.) 3. Offensive towards company employees, customers or general public. I have over 500 signatures for customers and coworkers stating that my tattoos are not offensive. Tattoos do not make you a bad drive, ignorancy may. It's 2011. UPS can buy anything, except a CLUE!

Wearing a visible tattoo of a naked woman is no different than wearing a t-shirt showing the same, for ex. There are many things in the policy book that are likely not addressed, that does not mean they cannot be addressed. There is no room at UPS for visible tattoos while being a service provider, IMO. I have to agree with the employer on this one.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
maybe he will have a heat stroke and die or have permanent brain damage, that will teach that scumbag for having tattoos,, and then i bet his family will launch a lawsuit and win BIG,, that will help clear up this gray area,, right?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
maybe he will have a heat stroke and die or have permanent brain damage, that will teach that scumbag for having tattoos,, and then i bet his family will launch a lawsuit and win BIG,, that will help clear up this gray area,, right?
I take it, you're tatted? Put some pants on!!! :wink2:

xkingx

every year i go through the cover your tats up.i can go about a month before someone says something. this year it took two weeks before the DM called it out.. i just pull my socks up and when i get on road they come down.