Tattoo Policy

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i dont understand the arguement here,,, i started at ups when i just turned 18,, over the years i had SEVERAL onroads,, some center manager's and even a district manager WHOM WERE REPRESENTATIVES OF UPS and whom i worked for with visible tattos.. That played a HUGE factor in my getting a full sleve about 15 yrs ago. Had i been told that i would have to cover my tatoo yrs later that may have changed my opinion..... However,, i have never covered my tattoo and now the rule seems to be if youve been here awhile its ok....ups could not win this in court......
The argument is said and done in your very words. If you had thought it through, ALL THE WAY THROUGH, you may not have done things the way you have. I think that people that want tattoo's, abortions or elective plastic surgeries, should have to wait a required period, so they can reflect on what their decision actually means.

I do have the UPS shield on my right shoulder...NO JOKE
Older style with the bowtied pkg. just above the shield
See, things change, and in several more years people may start asking you what the heck your tattoo means.

It's the original shoulder he was born with !!
LOL

thankyou !
Don't be so thankful. He may just be saying that that's the smartest post you ever made.:wink2:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
The argument is said and done in your very words. If you had thought it through, ALL THE WAY THROUGH, you may not have done things the way you have. I think that people that want tattoo's, abortions or elective plastic surgeries, should have to wait a required period, so they can reflect on what their decision actually means.
:

seems as usual you are confused,, i love and dont regret anything about my tattoo,, im gonna get even more soon, and abortions and tattoos have alot in common right,, get of your pedestal

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So women who become pregnant as a result of anything other than consensual intercourse should also have to wait? (I do agree that abortion should not be considered simply another birth control choice.)

See, things change, and in several more years people may start asking you what the heck your tattoo means.

LOL

Don't be so thankful. He may just be saying that that's the smartest post you ever made.:wink2:

Nope--I promised I would behave.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

So women who become pregnant as a result of anything other than consensual intercourse should also have to wait? (I do agree that abortion should not be considered simply another birth control choice.)

LOL

Nope--I promised I would behave.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
seems as usual you are confused,, i love and dont regret anything about my tattoo,, im gonna get even more soon, and abortions and tattoos have alot in common right,, get of your pedestal
Not confused, and most certainly not on a pedestal. I'm just going by what you said about, "had you known". I used abortion as an attention getter, because we all know that if we took the time to think about things, we just might do them differently.

P

pickup

some people think that the waiting period to get an abortion should be around nine months, give or take a few weeks.

UPS Lifer

Not confused, and most certainly not on a pedestal. I'm just going by what you said about, "had you known". I used abortion as an attention getter, because we all know that if we took the time to think about things, we just might do them differently.

Interesting twist to this thread.... I guess you could take it to another level and say that a lot of these people are high when they get a tattoo or get pregnant. Maybe we should just ban alcohol also! Opps! We tried that once didn't we? Oh and we already have a "war" on drugs!

What makes this world an interesting place to live is we are all different. Some of us make mistakes that change our lives (and others lives) forever and then there are other mistakes which we learn by. Our life experiences make us more wise (or at least some of us) ;). but no matter what happens these things shape who we are.

I guess I may be looking through rose colored glasses but I tend to think that good wins out over evil, cream always rises to the top and smart wins out over stupid. I am not a big fan of controlling everything in our lives. There is a much bigger force in the universe that helps with that.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I guess I may be looking through rose colored glasses but I tend to think that good wins out over evil, cream always rises to the top and smart wins out over stupid. I am not a big fan of controlling everything in our lives. There is a much bigger force in the universe that helps with that.

Then how come the drunk person always lives and kills an innocent family?? I for one, would like to see a blowing test before your car would start you'd have to blow under the legal limit!! Works for me.

Not argumentative, just an observation over the years.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Interesting twist to this thread.... I guess you could take it to another level and say that a lot of these people are high when they get a tattoo or get pregnant. Maybe we should just ban alcohol also! Opps! We tried that once didn't we? Oh and we already have a "war" on drugs!

What makes this world an interesting place to live is we are all different. Some of us make mistakes that change our lives (and others lives) forever and then there are other mistakes which we learn by. Our life experiences make us more wise (or at least some of us) ;). but no matter what happens these things shape who we are.

Huh? This whole post because I suggested that if people (all of us, btw), thought more before doing things, they might make different choices? Sometimes wisdom comes without taking that first step.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
I've posted this before but...

14873476_400x400.jpg

Sorry for the bad word in there for those who may be offended.

For some reason I cant post pics anymore all it says is

The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a s#%t that you don't have tattoos
14873476_400x400.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've posted this before but...

View attachment 4496

Sorry for the bad word in there for those who may be offended.

For some reason I cant post pics anymore all it says is

The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a s#%t that you don't have tattoos
There's something weird about that statement, I just know it, but can't put my finger on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On the flip side non-tattooed people tend to stereotype tattooed people and are surprised when more times than not their perception was no where near what that person was really like.

UPS Lifer

Huh? This whole post because I suggested that if people (all of us, btw), thought more before doing things, they might make different choices? Sometimes wisdom comes without taking that first step.

One of my sons took two years to make a decision about going into the Marines. He thought he had covered every angle. He looked at the army and navy also. He even went to a weekend boot camp. It took him having the experience to gain the knowledge which gave him the wisdom to understand the fallacy of his initial decision.

Sometimes you just can't think things "ALL THE WAY THROUGH"! I contend that in most cases we just don't know what we don't know. Don't get me wrong Steve! I like your thought pattern and highly agree with taking a deep breath and thinking things through. This is great advice. There is just one wrench we usually throw into our decision making process, when we really want something (or want to believe something) we justify it anyway we can to make it fit our parameters of acceptance.

A key component of wisdom is experience. I am just saying......

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
One of my sons took two years to make a decision about going into the Marines. He thought he had covered every angle. He looked at the army and navy also. He even went to a weekend boot camp. It took him having the experience to gain the knowledge which gave him the wisdom to understand the fallacy of his initial decision.

Sometimes you just can't think things "ALL THE WAY THROUGH"! I contend that in most cases we just don't know what we don't know. Don't get me wrong Steve! I like your thought pattern and highly agree with taking a deep breath and thinking things through. This is great advice. There is just one wrench we usually throw into our decision making process, when we really want something (or want to believe something) we justify it anyway we can to make it fit our parameters of acceptance.

A key component of wisdom is experience. I am just saying......
And you said it quite well.

705red

Browncafe Steward
People are all over the place on this. Has anyone ever seen anything regarding tatoos on paper? Because I have my original paper work from when I was hired and it does not say that tatoos are not allowed. Plain and simple! Ups has the right to set standards, but at the same time they cannot change the way they have been doing things for years. A company that has a union representing its work force cannot now say that an employee that was hired 15 years ago to drive who had tatoos must now cover them up. It was good enough for them when they hired him. The maintenance of standards clause in our contract states that all working conditions will remain the same. Now a couple years in to a new contract UPS wants to change these conditions without contacting and addressing this with the union? They might get away with it until an arbitrator rules on it, but in the end UPS will lose it and also they will be responsible to pay for any driver that lost time due to this policy change.

People are all over the place on this. Has anyone ever seen anything regarding tatoos on paper? Because I have my original paper work from when I was hired and it does not say that tatoos are not allowed. Plain and simple! Ups has the right to set standards, but at the same time they cannot change the way they have been doing things for years. A company that has a union representing its work force cannot now say that an employee that was hired 15 years ago to drive who had tatoos must now cover them up. It was good enough for them when they hired him. The maintenance of standards clause in our contract states that all working conditions will remain the same. Now a couple years in to a new contract UPS wants to change these conditions without contacting and addressing this with the union? They might get away with it until an arbitrator rules on it, but in the end UPS will lose it and also they will be responsible to pay for any driver that lost time due to this policy change.

Hope so as the talk of the time clock last night was a feeder driver fired for a tattoo on his leg at one of the other buildings,Franklin Pk I believe. He was initially stopped because he was leaving the building in his tractor and did not have his shirt buttoned all the way,exposing his tshirt. When he stepped out of the vehicle to address the management person his tattoo was seen and he was walked. Supposedly there were big wigs there for some reason and they played a part in the termination.