Teaching the new drivers about the real UPS

vvv

You must be the grammar police, there I used a comma just for you. Sorry my sup didn’t direct me to use proper writing skills you will have to grievance him for not teaching me lol.
Much better job. Just gets a little irritating and old in reading posts that aren't too cohesive.

Star B

White Lightening
The insurance, which is among the best in the country, is not going anywhere; in fact, last I heard, there is an 18 month surplus in our health insurance fund.
you can always make that surplus bigger by cutting your benefits more because "healthcare costs"...

MrBates

Is there a reason why everyone is spelling Shop Stewards (Stewart) wrong.
It should be the job of fellow brothers to advise and teach the newer union employees the union contract, not management, they are non union. We need as many union brothers to understand the union book and contract so we can stand together to fight when UPS tries to just take and not give.
We lose part of our annual raise to help pay for our carve out healthcare(we are not central states plan) and are around 34 and change an hour. I made around $92,000

The more we fight, the more they win. I'm pretty sure the idea of breaking up the union has floated around the board room many times. They are itching to cut costs to keep more profit for themselves and just waiting for the right opportunity when the herd is divided.

brownIEman

This thread sucks and I don’t care about anything

thanks-for-sharing.jpg

542thruNthru

What Are the Duties of Shop Steward? responsibilities of the union steward to new employees and union members. I think everyone should read this before they say its not the union stewards job to teach the newbies about are contract or supplement. It’s laid out pretty clearly there are there to answer any questions about the union handbook. But like I stated before, I am willing to help any new union member with any questions I can answer. Hopefully upstate and 542thruNthru get to see this article that way they can be informed. Wait did I just help the newbies out here??? Or should I say uneducated oldies out.

I think it's cute you found some article that could pertain to any Union and think it's gospel. There is more than just one union by the way.

But hey I'll play along.

Preperation:
1. Not all locals elect their shop stewards. So already your article is not accurate. In my local our BA appoints Stewards.

Disseminates policy:
1. YES a Steward does disseminate Union policy and Union news. This in no way means "teach" the contract.
2. YES a Steward should familiarize himself with all new policies and Union news to better "answer" members questions. Again answer does not mean "teach"

Provides information: (provides not teaches)
1. YES a Steward should provide the union with imformation about what is happening in the building. A BA can't be everywhere and needs eyes and ears inside.
2.Yes a Steward does provide information and news to members. A steward provides a member with a contract book. Again that does not mean "teach".

Organizing meetings:

Now I can't speak for everyone but stewards in my local do not organize meetings. They inform members of local meetings and may participate in them. Also stewards at UPS cannot perform Union work while on the clock. ( like meetings, writing grievances Etc)
@BigUnionGuy @Mugarolla @Inthegame may be able to correct me on this.

Welcomes new employees:
1. Again this is different local by local. We do not have a steward in any orientation for new employees.
2. Again no where does it say "teach" a employee the contract.

So did you even read what you linked? Hey I get it, you want to be right. That's cool I don't care. My point was you are one of these me first members that wants to tell the union how they can be better but doesn't want to do it himself. You just want to come in drive and get paid and expect the union to hold your hand like a little baby and when they don't you want to be able to complain about it on the internet forum.

You keep coming in and driving. I'll be a union member and help my brothers and sisters by informing them about there rights day in and day out. Because it's not my job but I want to do my part.

PT Car Washer

I think it's cute you found some article that could pertain to any Union and think it's gospel. There is more than just one union by the way.

But hey I'll play along.

Preperation:
1. Not all locals elect their shop stewards. So already your article is not accurate. In my local our BA appoints Stewards.

Disseminates policy:
1. YES a Steward does disseminate Union policy and Union news. This in no way means "teach" the contract.
2. YES a Steward should familiarize himself with all new policies and Union news to better "answer" members questions. Again answer does not mean "teach"

1. YES a Steward should provide the union with imformation about what is happening in the building. A BA can't be everywhere and needs eyes and ears inside.
2.Yes a Steward does provide information and news to members. A steward provides a member with a contract book. Again that does not mean "teach".

Organizing meetings:

Now I can't speak for everyone but stewards in my local do not organize meetings. They inform members of local meetings and may participate in them. Also stewards at UPS cannot perform Union work while on the clock. ( like meetings, writing grievances Etc)

Welcomes new employees:
1. Again this is different local by local. We do not have a steward in any orientation for new employees.

So did you even read what you linked? Hey I get it, you want to be right. That's cool I don't care. My point was you are one of these me first members that wants to tell the union how they can be better but doesn't want to do it himself. You just want to come in drive and get paid and expect the union to hold your hand like a little baby and when they don't you want to be able to complain about it on the internet forum.

You keep coming in and driving. I'll be a union member and help my brothers and sisters by informing them about there rights day in and day out. Because it's not my job but I want to do my part.
Instead of teach new employees we substitute share our experiences with the new employees? Even after 40 years I am still surprised at the way the contract is interpreted for individual cases. Almost like a deal was made.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down

But hey I'll play along.

Preperation:

Disseminates policy:

Organizing meetings:

Welcomes new employees:

Wow I got you to waste all that time for the same thing I have been saying union stewards are there to answer union questions. Therefore they are teaching, point said I’m done repeating myself to you and upstate. You keep coming back and I will keep holding you and upstate accountable for your bad advice or answers to theses threads.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down

But hey I'll play along.

Preperation:

Disseminates policy:

Organizing meetings:

Welcomes new employees:

My original point was to help the new union members out. Upstate took one sentence and said it was my job, so if you looked at the thread and saw what I said you should be back peddling. I choose to help new guys not because it’s my JOB but because, I think UPS will do whatever it takes to screw anybody that doesn’t know. If you want to pick apart my thread and choose one sentence out of it to troll me that’s cool I guess.

542thruNthru

Wow I got you to waste all that time for the same thing I have been saying union stewards are there to answer union questions. Therefore they are teaching, point said I’m done repeating myself to you and upstate. You keep coming back and I will keep holding you and upstate accountable for your bad advice or answers to theses threads.

Ok hot shot. Keep up the good work. :)
giphy-8.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Now I can't speak for everyone but stewards in my local do not organize meetings.

We do not do that here either.

They inform members of local meetings and may participate in them.

Same here.

Also stewards at UPS cannot perform Union work while on the clock.

Not entirely true.

We can write a grievance and investigate a grievance on the clock as long as it does not disrupt the Employers operations.

I keep it within reason.

like meetings

We are on the clock representing an employee if the Employer brings in an employee to a meeting or a hearing.

We are off the clock in a local hearing if the employee filed a grievance, but I will discuss the grievance on the clock before it goes to a hearing.

Above10200

I have been with UPS for over 11 Years and driving for over 5 years. Today I was talking to a newer driver who didn’t understand the 9.5 list and how it works. As I explained to the best of my ability what it was and how it worked it then dawned on me, he knows nothing of the union handbook that we have to protect us. When I first came in I was the same until I got in on conversations of what and how to protect myself from UPS. My point is these new guys need to be taught the book front to back to ensure that we are all in the know so management can’t pull any crap even on the new guys. I know it’s not my job to teach them but it makes me feel good that I can help someone that will eventually need the information and I think all of us would be better off if they did. So take the time to help them answer any questions they have it will pay divends in the long haul.
I am a new upser 4 years in 3 years qualified 40 years old! We have a great union, but me an old man my generation and younger don't know what a union can do for you. I have had plenty of bad unions, I grew up in a steele worker union, we have the best union!!!! My generation and younger forgot the union works for you if you work for the union!!!!! THERE IS NO UNION WITHOUT YOU!!!!! WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
BD9D4A23-02F3-461F-A32B-CA2FA5974121.jpeg
I am a new upser 4 years in 3 years qualified 40 years old! We have a great union, but me an old man my generation and younger don't know what a union can do for you. I have had plenty of bad unions, I grew up in a steele worker union, we have the best union!!!! My generation and younger forgot the union works for you if you work for the union!!!!! THERE IS NO UNION WITHOUT YOU!!!!! WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!

Qualified at 40

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Qualified at 38yo needed to support a new family in the mountains, hopefully retired at 70! We NEED this younger generation to support there local or management will walk all over us worker's!!! There is no union without you!!!! WE the people built this country, WE the people can build a stronger workforce as long as we stand united!!!

Retired at 70 ugh!!

Good luck with that