Teaching the new drivers about the real UPS

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I have been with UPS for over 11 Years and driving for over 5 years. Today I was talking to a newer driver who didn’t understand the 9.5 list and how it works. As I explained to the best of my ability what it was and how it worked it then dawned on me, he knows nothing of the union handbook that we have to protect us. When I first came in I was the same until I got in on conversations of what and how to protect myself from UPS. My point is these new guys need to be taught the book front to back to ensure that we are all in the know so management can’t pull any crap even on the new guys. I know it’s not my job to teach them but it makes me feel good that I can help someone that will eventually need the information and I think all of us would be better off if they did. So take the time to help them answer any questions they have it will pay divends in the long haul.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been with UPS for over 11 Years and driving for over 5 years. Today I was talking to a newer driver who didn’t understand the 9.5 list and how it works. As I explained to the best of my ability what it was and how it worked it then dawned on me, he knows nothing of the union handbook that we have to protect us. When I first came in I was the same until I got in on conversations of what and how to protect myself from UPS. My point is these new guys need to be taught the book front to back to ensure that we are all in the know so management can’t pull any crap even on the new guys. I know it’s not my job to teach them but it makes me feel good that I can help someone that will eventually need the information and I think all of us would be better off if they did. So take the time to help them answer any questions they have it will pay divends in the long haul.

Why is it not your job to teach them?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In most instances, it's best to learn and teach the contract book from back to front, rather than front to back.

Daf

It is all of our jobs to teach them. We need to advise our fellow workers when we see an issue of the way they are being treated. I didn't ONLY learn from a steward. I have learned from multiple employees over the years, and still learning over 20years later.

BigBrown87

Why is it not your job to teach them?
Again you keep saying the same question if you want the same answer I can give it to you again. If you want to get hung up on one sentence in the thread and make it about that then be an idiot I guess just trying to say it’s better for all of us to help each other

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It is all of our jobs to teach them. We need to advise our fellow workers when we see an issue of the way they are being treated. I didn't ONLY learn from a steward. I have learned from multiple employees over the years, and still learning over 20years later.

As a driver for 29 yrs now. In a very small center. Since Hoffa got in we have lost almost everything. Our pensions are all but gone. Our raises being taken for no reason now. We are at 33.64 now. Rest of the country at almost 36 plus. No one in our center files 9.5s. Union doesn't back us up. Sad to say. But, our great insurance. Will be the next to fall. I see concessions coming again. Cause if the union fights it. It will be gone by yrs end. The union needs UPS way too much. Hoffa sold us out 2 contracts ago

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
As a driver for 29 yrs now. In a very small center. Since Hoffa got in we have lost almost everything. Our pensions are all but gone. Our raises being taken for no reason now. We are at 33.64 now. Rest of the country at almost 36 plus. No one in our center files 9.5s. Union doesn't back us up. Sad to say. But, our great insurance. Will be the next to fall. I see concessions coming again. Cause if the union fights it. It will be gone by yrs end. The union needs UPS way too much. Hoffa sold us out 2 contracts ago
5D07F054-49EB-45EA-A273-07033A4F876D.gif
your like a factory of sadness. Are you buy any chance a browns fan?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I made over 100,000 this year. Not including my medical ,dental , 401k and 6 weeks vacation with only a high school diploma. I thank god for the teamsters daily....

I hit 90k for the most ever this yr. Was a casual for 10 yrs. No vacation or other time off. Ups held me back twice due to my knowledge of the building routes. Just got my 5th week vacation in Nov of 18. Our next raise in Feb will be taken for the pension bailout. Again! Proven not to work. Plus 5 extra yrs till 55 for full pension.
I got an associate degree. Basically went to play basketball. For free.
Am grateful for the insurance.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
And it's not worth the paper it is written on.

That sounds a little melodramatic.

Since Hoffa got in we have lost almost everything.

Please.... we have made constant gains.

We lost more under Carey.

Our raises being taken for no reason now.

Trying to infuse cash into your pension, "is for no reason" ?

Our next raise in Feb will be taken for the pension bailout. Again! Proven not to work.

$5500 a month for 30 years of service, was not sustainable.

Even @UpstateNYUPSer has been realistic about this.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Again you keep saying the same question if you want the same answer I can give it to you again. If you want to get hung up on one sentence in the thread and make it about that then be an idiot I guess just trying to say it’s better for all of us to help each other

It is a very simple question------why do you feel that it is not your job to teach them?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The insurance, which is among the best in the country, is not going anywhere; in fact, last I heard, there is an 18 month surplus in our health insurance fund.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hit 90k for the most ever this yr. Was a casual for 10 yrs. No vacation or other time off. Ups held me back twice due to my knowledge of the building routes. Just got my 5th week vacation in Nov of 18. Our next raise in Feb will be taken for the pension bailout. Again! Proven not to work. Plus 5 extra yrs till 55 for full pension.
I got an associate degree. Basically went to play basketball. For free.
Am grateful for the insurance.

I ended the year just over $75K.

BigBrown87

It is a very simple question------why do you feel that it is not your job to teach them?
Again it’s not in my job description to teach only to drive and deliver packages union related issues are Stewart’s and business agents job if that’s not a good enough answer for you better go back to school I think you missed some grades and classes. Better check out common sense 101 and I’m pretty sure your just a troll anyways so go have a mediocre existence while it lasts hope u find something better to do with your life.