teamster run health plan

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Walk into an insurance company and tell them we have 250,000 members, what can you do for us? That's considerable negotiating power.

Unfortunately this is what I see. First few years the union gets more than enough money for our healthcare. They take the extra and blow it on cadys hookers and blow. Then down the road when costs go up down the road and ups isn't paying enough to cover us our reserve has magically disappeared.

Unfortunately this is what I see. First few years the union gets more than enough money for our healthcare. They take the extra and blow it on cadys hookers and blow. Then down the road when costs go up down the road and ups isn't paying enough to cover us our reserve has magically disappeared.
Central states is required to be 7 months funded. It's 19 months funded. Just imagine all those partimers money going into this fund. A lot of them don't even use it. This is a win win for us all. If we are in a union plan we are talking at least three contracts before we are ever going to be expected to pay anything. Think outside the box. The government oversees these plans so what you are proposing doesnt happen these days. That's old days bro and we are about to hit the mother load as far as healthcare is concerned. I can believe the company is going to let this happen.

Evil

Brownslave, are you telling me that the Teamsters don't know how to practice fiscal responsibility?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Brownslave, are you telling me that the Teamsters don't know how to practice fiscal responsibility?
I've been on a Teamster run healthcare plan for over 25 years. Have excellent coverage and very little out of pocket expenses. If UPS went out of business today and stopped contributing to the health fund, I would still be covered for around 20 months. That is quite a reserve built up by my union and shows to me that they know how to practice fiscal responsibility in regards to managing our monies. Our pension fund is also well managed and in the green.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I've been on a Teamster run healthcare plan for over 25 years. Have excellent coverage and very little out of pocket expenses. If UPS went out of business today and stopped contributing to the health fund, I would still be covered for around 20 months. That is quite a reserve built up by my union and shows to me that they know how to practice fiscal responsibility in regards to managing our monies. Our pension fund is also well managed and in the green.

Up here at 294. Teamsters run insurance. Is a great plan. Wave at the Dr. Office on the way out the door. Union does a great job with insurance packet. Local does not run pension very efficient though. In the end we have best pay out in nation. What we all strive for towards the end of our careers

saintrick

Central states is required to be 7 months funded. It's 19 months funded. Just imagine all those partimers money going into this fund. A lot of them don't even use it. This is a win win for us all. If we are in a union plan we are talking at least three contracts before we are ever going to be expected to pay anything. Think outside the box. The government oversees these plans so what you are proposing doesnt happen these days. That's old days bro and we are about to hit the mother load as far as healthcare is concerned. I can believe the company is going to let this happen.

Just a few thoughts.

Partimers that don't use the benefits cost the company very little under its plan. If in a Teamster plan premiums are paid for someone that does not use them is it a waste?

We have to take the retirees along with the part time.

Do the freight guys get included with the package side?

These are the PT benefits for comparison to Teamster plans.
Lifetime Max
1Million (now unlimited with O care)
Annual Deductible (single/family)
none
OOP Max (includes deductible)
$1,000
Medical Office Visits
100% after 10 copay
Routine/Preventative Physical
100% after 10 copay
Well child care
100% after 10 copay
Emergency Room Visits
100% $25 copay
Inpatient services
100%
Outpatient services
100%
Chiropractic
90% ($40 per visit $1000 max a year)
Diagnostic/X-ray/Lab
90%

Last edited:

laststop

I had company plan for 28 years and then bid to a small center and went to teamsters plan and co pay 20 per time and about 3 to 10 bucks per meds free if mailed and well care girl stuff that was never cover by big browns plan plus had to pay 20 percent I like teamsters plan it's a good thing so lets all go for it and trust are teamster plan and get ready to strike if need start saving u. Have time stand strong

stink219

I like a teamster run healthcare plan.
Come on 407....don't drink the Hoffa Kool-Aid. I know you are a good union guy......But the Teamsters....................... and your healthcare doesn't add up!!!Big Brown makes money....The Teamsters do not!!!!If you don't believe me....just ask my pension plan...........P.S. the TDU still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had Teamster run healthcare since I started 18 years ago. I have the best healthcare in RI for free!!

browned_out

So Ups wants us to pay for our health care or shift it to the teamsters. Ups wants to get rid of the liability, however if they were only willing to cover a certain amount of the total cost then wouldn't they only give the teamsters the same dollar amount? Which means that someone has to cover the rising costs that go along with the obama plan, I don't see Ups giving the teamsters any more then they have to.

The pattern I see is Ups putting everything on the teamsters and watching it implode somewhere down the line, they are already doing it with the pension plans and now with the health care. I hope for all our sakes that this is not the future.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have been covered under the Oregon Teamster Employers Trust for 26 years. No complaints. Well run. We have 5 or 6 different plans we can choose from (Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Pacificare, Kaiser, and a couple of HMO's) with open enrollment occuring each January. The different plans have different benefit structures, some are better if you have kids others are better if you are single. My wife is a Human Resources and Benefits Coordinator for a small company, she knows a thing or two about insurance, according to her we have the gold-plated Cadillac plan.

browned_out

I have no doubt that your insurance like ours in the Ups plans are good, its the long term costs that have me worried. Ups in no dummy when it comes to finances, just like the new hybid pension plans that were established, to rein in ever rising costs, Ups now wants to shift the health care burden onto us/teamsters. Ups will only pay a certain amount towards our health/pensions/wages, so I ask again "who pays the difference".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Who do you think pays the difference? The members, of course, through co-pays, annual deductibles and, if need be, a dues increase.

It's ironic---while I would prefer the Union handle my healthcare I would also prefer the company handle my pension.

Inthegame

Who do you think pays the difference? The members, of course, through co-pays, annual deductibles and, if need be, a dues increase.

It's ironic---while I would prefer the Union handle my healthcare I would also prefer the company handle my pension.
Dues money can only be used for union business administration and cannot be applied to health care trust funds.