teamsters and UPS

satellitedriver

What year did the teamsters become the sole bargaining agent for UPS employees? I have tried a few Google searches and could not find out.
So, I came to the trusted source of Brown Cafe for the answer.

I could be wrong, but I think I read something that said way back whenever it was, UPS actually approached the Teamsters about organizing it's workforce.

upsdude

I could be wrong, but I think I read something that said way back whenever it was, UPS actually approached the Teamsters about organizing it's workforce.

I read something similar that said Casey figured it would happen sooner or later and wanted to get it over with.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Yes, that's right. I forget the exact reasoning but Casey spoke about it quite freely, saying something along the lines of believing that being union would act as a sort of check/balance on management. This is a very reasonable and accurate way to look at unions IMHO. Its part of why I support unions.

I thought the relationship began in the 40's.

I think I heard it started right before the Great Depression--like 1927 or '28. -Rocky