Teamsters Applaud Treasury Decision to Deny CSPF Cuts, Protect Retiree Pensions

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea Fed Ex ground rates aren't lower and there isn't a big monster around the corner called Amazon either. Oh yes there isn't a poop ton of Fedex sleeper teams to compete with that cost around 25 dollars and hour in wages and benefits either. I know I know

All of these concerns (and more) will be addressed in 2018. If you think our last few contracts have been concessionary you ain't seen nothing yet.

All of these concerns (and more) will be addressed in 2018. If you think our last few contracts have been concessionary you ain't seen nothing yet.
The cost alone in the price of our labor verses Amazon and Fedex ex is frightening. Those usps trucks delivering on Sunday's and making no money with no end in sight kinda disoriented me a little. I don't want to work on Sunday. Do you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cost alone in the price of our labor verses Amazon and Fedex ex is frightening. Those usps trucks delivering on Sunday's and making no money with no end in sight kinda disoriented me a little. I don't want to work on Sunday. Do you?

People mock me when I say that we are looking at a two tiered wage structure, with a lower top out and even longer progression, for new drivers in the 2018 contract.

I will be retired and hope that I am wrong but the economic reality is that UPS has to get a handle on their labor costs sooner than later.

People mock me when I say that we are looking at a two tiered wage structure, with a lower top out and even longer progression, for new drivers in the 2018 contract.

I will be retired and hope that I am wrong but the economic reality is that UPS has to get a handle on their labor costs sooner than later.
I've mocked you over the years and I feel bad about that but I've never mocked you about the two their thing. It's always thrown on the table by ups. The difference in our labor costs and Fedex is very alarming.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's not why people mock you.
Just thought you should know.

Knowing that we don't agree on these issues reassures me of my position and should scare the hell out of @Lead Belly.

We don't need a two tiered wage scale for full timers.
What we do need is a more balanced scale between full and part time employees.
This will provide significant gains for all involved and position the company to stay competitive through superior service and accountability within.
Instead, we now have a revolving door at our entry level positions, with no way retain quality workers or to hold other individuals to any real measurable standards.

This is yet another way that H&H has lead us down the wrong path, pandering to full time voters, while ignoring the majority which are part time employees.
Who was the last GP that stood up for the part timers in a collective bargaining agreement with UPS?

I'll give you a hint, it was in 1997.
It was the driving force behind the public siding with the Teamsters during the strike, and it could work again if we ever got a leader with the charisma and fortitude to take it on.
The same dynamics are surely still in play.

Last edited:

upschuck

That's not why people mock you.
Just thought you should know.

Knowing that we don't agree on these issues reassures me of my position and should scare the hell out of @Lead Belly.

We don't need a two tiered wage scale for full timers.
What we do need is a more balanced scale between full and part time employees.
This will provide significant gains for all involved and position the company to stay competitive through superior service and accountability within.
Instead, we now have a revolving door at our entry level positions, with no way retain quality workers or to hold other individuals to any real measurable standards.

This is yet another way that H&H has lead us down the wrong path, pandering to full time voters, while ignoring the majority which are part time employees.
Who was the last GP that stood up for the part timers in a collective bargaining agreement with UPS?

I'll give you a hint, it was in 1997.
It was the driving force behind the public siding with the Teamsters during the strike, and it could work again if we ever got a leader with the charisma and fortitude to take it on.
The same dynamics are surely still in play.
I agree that we need to bump PT wages up, but to what extent are you calling for? Most of the people who vote (FT) would not take no raises for bumping up the PTers that much.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree that we need to bump PT wages up, but to what extent are you calling for? Most of the people who vote (FT) would not take no raises for bumping up the PTers that much.
Since when did our vote count?

Art XII IBT Constitution
Section 6. The General Executive Board is empowered to amend, delete, or add to this Article if at any time it believes such action will be in the interests of the International Union or its subordinate bodies.

Last edited:

Inthegame

Since when did our vote count?

Art XII IBT Constitution
Section 6. The General Executive Board is empowered to amend, delete, or add to this Article if at any time it believes such action will be in the interests of the International Union or its subordinate bodies.
Still want to rehash that fight? Art 41, which sets FT wages, is in the majority accepted NMA. The few holdout supplements weren't concerning themselves with part time wage increases.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Still want to rehash that fight? Art 41, which sets FT wages, is in the majority accepted NMA. The few holdout supplements weren't concerning themselves with part time wage increases.
I do want to rehash that fight....until that Article is amended.
No telling when it will rear it's ugly head again within our organization that was supposedly built on local autonomy.

By The Book

I think one of the reason for the high rate of turnover, which I don't see in my area is that the minimum wage has gone up and the contract wages are not that attractive for the work involved to earn it. The other thing that I see as a reason for turnover is the long wait times to get to full time. As a package deal, it's still a great deal if you have a second job, or another means of income while you settle in for the long haul.

PT Car Washer

Companies don't pay more than they have too.
The company has no problem replacing $10/hr Union members with $15/hr PT sups because of staffing issues. Whatever happened to double shifting PTers? All our Local Union officials say is "well file a grievance and maybe in two months you will get paid". Or not because it got traded off for something else.

By The Book

The company has no problem replacing $10/hr Union members with $15/hr PT sups because of staffing issues. Whatever happened to double shifting PTers? All our Local Union officials say is "well file a grievance and maybe in two months you will get paid". Or not because it got traded off for something else.
So then you file and whoever else can, then in 2 months when you file every time you will be paid every week. This should put a stop to the sups working( slam dunk grievance). UPS does not like paying twice for one job.