Teamster's Letter to GM

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I know this is not really about this thread, but most of these threads seem to stray off course, so here goes.
It would seem to me, and many others, that several people seem to believe that a part-time job at UPS should somehow be twisted around so the part-time person can work a full-time week. Many seem to forget that the job is simply not enough to get by on without something else. More importantly, this job SHOULD supplement something else. Most of the folks I worked with as a part-timer had other jobs. Some of us worked two other jobs or you may have considered this the other job.
All I am saying is hang in there and eventually you will move up the ladder. I guess that does not make most people feel better, but that is the way it is.

This is very true. May I add this, that what was stated about the meetings and voting, are also true.

trickpony1

IF all the PTs would vote on the contracts they could defeat or accept it over the full timers.

trplnkl-
I am assuming you are a PT'er.
Once you reach full time status do you really want a bunch of hot dog eating, beer drinking, gang banging kids making decisions that would affect your life, career, retirement oportunities and status?
I didn't think so.
The company knows there are more PT'ers than FT'ers. The company also knows that a sweet offer like a $500 signing bonus for PT'ers (to buy beer with) would sway a bad contract that would screw FT'ers further down the road.
Be careful what you wish for.
We FT'ers have children, mortgages, bills and a slim hope of retiring sometime in the future, if we can walk. We don't need a bunch of PT'ers whose biggest concern is where their next beer is coming from destroying our future.

ih8tbrn

Banned
trplnkl-
Once you reach full time status do you really want a bunch of hot dog eating, beer drinking, gang banging kids making decisions that would affect your life, career, retirement oportunities and status?
I didn't think so.
The company knows there are more PT'ers than FT'ers. The company also knows that a sweet offer like a $500 signing bonus for PT'ers (to buy beer with) would sway a bad contract that would screw FT'ers further down the road.
We FT'ers have children, mortgages, bills and a slim hope of retiring sometime in the future, if we can walk. We don't need a bunch of PT'ers whose biggest concern is where their next beer is coming from destroying our future.

This entire post is inaccurate and offensive. Every part timer at the center I work at has two jobs to support kids, mortgage, and bills.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This entire post is inaccurate and offensive. Every part timer at the center I work at has two jobs to support kids, mortgage, and bills.
ih8, there aren't many of your posts that I agree with but that is neither here nor there. This post I agree with.

trplnkl-
I didn't think so.

As Dilli said, I'm a FTer with nearly 20 years finished as a driver. Nowhere did I say that I wanted the short-term part timers deciding my future or your's. The poster asked why the contracts always favored the full timers and I gave my opinion. As the other poster said,(paraphrased) you can't get the half brain dead PTers to get involved. Now before anyone gets offended, I do not think all PTers are half brain dead, I know full well many are just waiting their turn to go FT to begin a carrer with UPS that they can live on.
Anyone that does not think UPS PTers need better language in the contracts have never been a PTer, or they have forgotten what it's like.
The last time I remember us having a "signing" bonus the contract wasn't all that bad except for the bonus not being placed into the wages. If I remember correctly the yearly raises were not all that shabby as it was.
I don't beleive there is one thing you could do the get the "hot dog eating, beer drinking, gang banging kids" to vote on a contract anyway.
Although I am far from being a gang banger or a kid, I do enjoy a hot dog and beer occasionally.

trickpony1

Anyone that does not think UPS PTers need better language in the contracts have never been a PTer, or they have forgotten what it's like.

I was going to mention that when I was a PT'er I made $12 or $15 dollars an hour (can't remember) but the point would be missed completely. I preloaded 3, not 5, package cars. I went into package cars after 2-3 years of PT. Weight limit was 50 pounds, not 150.
Where am I going with this?
I would not put it past the company to heavily favor the PT'ers in the next contract to the detriment of FT'ers.
Also, I was told by a retiring manager that I had a shred of respect for that in the future, "....this whole operation will be part time".
Think about it.......
send PT #1 out in a PC for 5 hours then send his replacement out to finish up. No benefits, no retirement and, by the time the next contract comes around, the economy will be so bad that people will line up down the street to deliver on a PT basis.
Anyone who thinks the company gives a flip about PT'ers, FT'ers and, now, management has another think coming.
Hopefully I will be retired by the time the carnage happens.