Teamsters Union Organizing Campaign Begins At UPSFreight

J

JonFrum

The UPSFreight Contract covering Indianapolis workers is available.

Stay Informed!

J

JonFrum

Three Teamster Press Releases

UPS Freight Workers in Detroit Take Big Step Toward Joining Teamsters
An Overwhelming Majority of Workers Sign Cards To Join Teamsters Local 299

January 18, 2008

(Detroit, MI) – An overwhelming majority of the 107 workers at the UPS Freight (formerly Overnite Transportation) terminal in Detroit have signed authorization cards to become Teamsters, the third major campaign victory announced by the union this week, Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa announced.

“The UPS Freight campaign continues to move ahead at full steam,” Hoffa said. “After UPS Freight workers in New England and Memphis submitted cards, the campaign has rolled into the upper Midwest. We will be successful from coast to coast.”

On Wednesday, January 16, the union announced that 315 UPS Freight workers at seven locations in New England took a similar step to become Teamsters. On Thursday, January 17, the union announced that a majority of the 411 UPS Freight workers in Memphis had signed and submitted cards. At this point, a majority of 833 workers have taken the step to join the Teamsters.

“So far, 90 of the 107 Detroit workers have signed cards and we’re working on 100 percent support,” said Kevin Moore, President of Local 299 in Detroit. “The workers here in Detroit will have more protections for themselves and for their families with a Teamster contract. The overwhelming support shows the company that they are united and committed to becoming proud Teamsters. Hats off to the workers and to our organizer, Al Hinojose.”

The cards will be sent to a neutral arbitrator, and the company is expected to officially recognize the workers within a week.

“I look forward to working with more local unions and more UPS Freight workers in the coming days and weeks in the workers’ fight for a brighter future,” said hall, Director of the Teamsters Parcel and Small Package Division.

UPS Freight Workers in Memphis Keep Organizing Campaign Rolling
A Majority of Drivers, Dockworkers Sign Cards To Join Teamsters Local 667

January 17, 2008

(Memphis, TN) – A majority of the 411 workers at the UPS Freight (formerly Overnite Transportation) terminal in Memphis have signed authorization cards to become Teamsters, bringing the number of workers seeking union representation to more than 700, Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa announced.

“UPS Freight workers’ quest for a strong voice on the job continues to roll—first it was New England, and now the Memphis workers have spoken,” Hoffa said.

The cards will be sent to a neutral arbitrator, paving the way for the company to officially recognize the workers, a process that is expected to take place within a week. When the process is complete, the workers will join Local 667 in Memphis.

“The UPS Freight workers in Memphis have been long-time supporters of the Teamsters, and everyone is very excited that this day has come,” said Henry Perry, Teamsters Local 667 President and International Trustee. “We will provide these workers with the best representation so that they finally have a strong voice on the job.”

“I feel like Green Bay Packers Quarterback Brett Favre right now—getting ready to go to the big dance,” said dockworker Jay Irvin, a nine-year employee. “I feel like I’m on my way to the Super Bowl.”

On Wednesday, January 16, the union announced that 315 UPS Freight workers at seven locations in New England took a similar step to become Teamsters.

“The UPS Freight campaign is off to a strong start, and we will not let up until we help thousands more workers win the respect they deserve as Teamsters,” said hall, Director of the Teamsters Parcel and Small Package Division.

UPS Freight Workers in New England Sign Cards Seeking to be Teamsters
A Majority of Drivers, Dockworkers Take Step To Gain Strong Voice At Work

January 16, 2008

(Washington, D.C.) – A majority of workers at seven UPS Freight terminals throughout New England have signed authorization cards to become Teamsters, providing strong momentum in the nationwide campaign to give thousands of company employees a strong voice on the job, Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa announced.

The cards will now be sent to a neutral arbitrator, paving the way for the company to officially recognize the 315 workers, which is expected to occur within a week. The workers belong to the following local unions: Local 25 in Boston; Local 170 in Worcester, Massachusetts, Local 251 in E. Providence, Rhode Island; Local 340 in S. Portland, Maine; Local 404 in Springfield, Massachusetts; Local 443 in New Haven, Connecticut, and Local 633 in Manchester, New Hampshire.

“UPS Freight workers in New England have taken the next step in our campaign to help thousands of UPS Freight workers have a brighter future,” Hoffa said.

“Our New England local union leaders, led by Local 633 Secretary-Treasurer and Joint Council 10 Secretary-Treasurer Dave Laughton and Local 25 President Sean O’Brien, worked closely together to make this next phase of the UPS Freight campaign a success,” said hall, Director of the Teamsters Package Division, who is overseeing the campaign. “These local unions followed the process we have established to make this campaign successful, and soon the New England employees will join their coworkers in Indianapolis in getting a contract that addresses their concerns about fair wages, improved health care and pensions.”

This past October, workers at UPS Freight (formerly Overnite Transportation) in Indianapolis overwhelmingly ratified their first contract ever, an agreement that improved wages, benefits and working conditions and which served as a model to organize thousands of other UPS Freight employees nationwide.

Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents 1.4-million hardworking men and women in the United States and Canada.

Buckethead

In the contract,90% of the board is guaranteed 40 hours per week.

Go to your local or call, they will answer your questions. No need to wonder when you have the resources a phone call away.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A overwhelming majority of 360 UPSF workers at the Atlanta, Lawrenceville, and Marietta terminals have signed authorization cards to join the IBT. They will be represented by Local 728, which is my Local.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We just wrapped up the chicago ups freights this weekend with over 75% here signing a card. I would like to take my hat off to these fellow upsers that didnt buy the ups hype and i applaud everyone of you for enduring this long dragger out campaign. I know it wasnt easy, you had the company telling you one thing and you had teamster volunteers like my self giving it to you straight, and i honestly believe you made the right choice. Congratulations to all of you and welcome!

I understand some terminals in Ohio have meeting scheduled this month.
Can someone tell me what goes on in these meetings?
If voted in how long will it take to get a contract in place?

bobs b,
You seem well informed......
Do you know how many terminals have voted in the union so far?
As terminals are voted in will they basically have the same contract as Indy or will each terminal have their own contract?

The union organizer told us we could vote in the exact contract indy had, make changes to it, or negoitiate a different one. But I bet UPS has a dollar amount assigned to everything in the contract and all the benefits can't add up more than a preset amount.

I think some things can't be changed like the ins. cost or the loss of the 401k match.

So far Syracuse, Albany and Binghamton, in New York, and a terminal in Stockton, Memphis, Detroit, Oakland (San Leandro), Tukwila, Kent, Los Angeles, Fontana, Commerce, Rialto, Blaine, Milwaukee, Louisville, Lexington, Farmingdale, Newburgh, Atlanta, Lawrenceville, Marietta, Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, two terminals in Fresno, Tampa, Fort Myers, Orlando, Ocala, Burlington, Fort Wayne, Simi Valley, Oxnard, Houston, Beaumont, Bensalem, Pennsauken, Elkton, Charleston, Bluefield, Fairmont, Parkersburg , Evansville, South Holland, Bedford Park, Palatine, Oswego, St. Louis, San Diego, Orange, Calexico, Cleveland, Toledo, Bowling Green and West Sacramento. And all of the new england area terminals.

The majority of 5,830 employees have signed cards.

Question? Do ALL the terminals have to vote in the union OR if a majority of the overall employees vote it in will all the terminals go union? I have heard different stories on this.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Kansas City Star (Mo.) – February 25, 2008UPS workers again reject labor groupDrivers and dockworkers at UPS Freight Inc.’s Kansas City, Kan., terminal have again rejected a new labor group’s attempt to organize them. However, the leader of the Association of Parcel Workers of America said another objection may be filed against last week’s election results as well.