Teamsters/UPS 401k

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Off topic a little, but I will ask anyway. I turned 59 a couple of weeks ago and do I have to do anything with my Prudential account in six months? I need to talk to my investment guy. I am wondering if I can keep my balance where it is or do I need to figure out something better to do with it. I increased my withholding to 20% to pad it just a little more while I still can.

You don't have to do a thing with it until you turn 70 1/2.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sort of off topic, but what do you guys choose to invest in with your 401k? I think most of mine is in the S&P500 and then I have the rest in random low risk stuff. No one ever advised me on how to do any of the 401k stuff so I just winged it.
Good choice, if I had to choose just one fund to put all my money in that would be the one. Stay out of the actively managed funds (Bright Horizon) the fees are higher and the returns are lower, their primary purpose is to line someone else's pockets with your hard earned money.

Good choice, if I had to choose just one fund to put all my money in that would be the one. Stay out of the actively managed funds (Bright Horizon) the fees are higher and the returns are lower, their primary purpose is to line someone else's pockets with your hard earned money.
It is more expensive that way but if you don't want to be bothered looking after your own money, that's the way to go.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How are BH funds in the long run though? I wanted to choose the most reliable set up for the next 30 years and was told the S&P500 was the safest bet.
They have a tool to compare performance right there on the website, check it out. I'll save you the work and just tell you S&P500 fund beats every single BH fund in the 1 yr, 3 yr, and 5 yr returns by large margins. In addition the fees are significantly lower ( .01% vs .09%). It's your money.

oldngray

nowhere special
They have a tool to compare performance right there on the website, check it out. I'll save you the work and just tell you S&P500 fund beats every single BH fund in the 1 yr, 3 yr, and 5 yr returns by large margins. In addition the fees are significantly lower ( .01% vs .09%). It's your money.

Money managers HATE index funds like S&P because they don't make any money off them.

But as you said, its your money.

ManInBrown

Sort of off topic, but what do you guys choose to invest in with your 401k? I think most of mine is in the S&P500 and then I have the rest in random low risk stuff. No one ever advised me on how to do any of the 401k stuff so I just winged it.
I have almost everything in the S&P 400 and 500. I researched all the funds and over the last 5-10 and those two have yielded the highest returns. But it's on the riskier side. I have about 80% in those 2 and the rest in BrightHorizon 2040.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Off topic a little, but I will ask anyway. I turned 59 a couple of weeks ago and do I have to do anything with my Prudential account in six months? I need to talk to my investment guy. I am wondering if I can keep my balance where it is or do I need to figure out something better to do with it. I increased my withholding to 20% to pad it just a little more while I still can.
You look so young.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have almost everything in the S&P 400 and 500. I researched all the funds and over the last 5-10 and those two have yielded the highest returns. But it's on the riskier side. I have about 80% in those 2 and the rest in BrightHorizon 2040.

The 500 is all large caps so I have about 20% in small cap funds. Higher risk/reward potential. I wouldn't want the majority in small cap funds but they are good to balance your portfolio.

Come on now, we both know that if you don't look after your own money no one else will.
I just can't believe they so many people have no clue at all or are too lazy to learn anything about it.

Think about this. Over your career you probably put more money into your 401k then what you pay for your house.

Last edited:
I keep some in the international index for the same reasons, but oldngray is basically right in saying that you really don't need to. You can make out just fine staying domestic.
They do seem to go up and down almost at the same time any more.

On the other hand their maybe some better long term investments overseas.

The PE on the S&P 500 is pretty high right now compared to the rest of the world.

Number-Nine

I'm on my 15th day trying to make book so I might be getting ahead of myself but what advice/ suggestions would you guys give me about the 401k? I know very little on the matter.