Temps still are working on 1/24/14 at my center

sportsjock

The seasonal drivers in my center are still driving. Some have been driving since the last week of October. However they are hiring full time drivers a new group of newbies start their probation next week. But the remainder of the seasonal drivers are still working everyday. After peak they hired all of our seasonal drivers as Pre Loaders, but none of they every go work Pre Load, they report every morning at 8:30AM to take out routes. We do have a lot of people out on injury and disability. We need drivers really bad!! especially since 80% of my center is on 9.5. Its a big mess!!

Inthegame

The seasonal drivers in my center are still driving. Some have been driving since the last week of October. However they are hiring full time drivers a new group of newbies start their probation next week. But the remainder of the seasonal drivers are still working everyday. After peak they hired all of our seasonal drivers as Pre Loaders, but none of they every go work Pre Load, they report every morning at 8:30AM to take out routes. We do have a lot of people out on injury and disability. We need drivers really bad!! especially since 80% of my center is on 9.5. Its a big mess!!
Is your steward and BA aware of this? Not sure what supplement you're under but in the Central it appears many of these seasonals could have gained seniority as drivers.

sportsjock

The Steward is aware of it. I'm in the Northern Californian area. One of the Seasonal is a buddy of mine who they screwed on his 30 probation last year and DQ'ed him on his 27th day. He's one of the seasonal drivers that's been driving since the last week of October. But the catch all is he received a phone call from the union yesterday, and was told he couldn't make seniority because Peak season technically begins November 1st. So pretty much he got screwed again. But on the lighter side he's up again to do another 30 days starting Tuesday but, in a different center.

Inthegame

The Steward is aware of it. I'm in the Northern Californian area. One of the Seasonal is a buddy of mine who they screwed on his 30 probation last year and DQ'ed him on his 27th day. He's one of the seasonal drivers that's been driving since the last week of October. But the catch all is he received a phone call from the union yesterday, and was told he couldn't make seniority because Peak season technically begins November 1st. So pretty much he got screwed again. But on the lighter side he's up again to do another 30 days starting Tuesday but, in a different center.
Check your language. In the Central if a seasonal works past the "free period" (still Dec 31) time worked in Oct counts toward 30 in 90 to attain seniority. If they worked lots of Jan and some in Oct. they may be in. Good luck...

sportsjock

It's some shadiness going on in my hub with all this. Yesterday during the PCM I over heard the HR Manager asking one of the Seasonal drivers how was it going and was he working Pre Load he told her NO, I am just driving everyday, and her respond to him was "that's interesting" I just shrugged my shoulders at her and smiled.

sportsjock

Inthegame - He started the week before Halloween, went on vacation the following week because it was all ready scheduled from the Pre Load. Came back after his vacation and he's be working doing the same route every since...all of November - January 31st. He starts his 30 days again for the second time on this Tuesday. But I am going to check the language as you suggested because, I was under the same thing as you we've had other seasonal driver make senority by driving seasonal. He's been trying to keep up with it and he thinks he's worked more then 30 days all ready.

Leadfarmer153

Not sure you're using the correct terms but maybe your rider is allowing something unique. New 'Seasonal' (peak season) language only allows an additional few weeks use in January. Vacation replacements (summer) is unchanged. Single day cover drivers can be used in certain circumstances but your local should get that info daily and demand additional FT drivers if Single day drivers are routinely "covering" when no single day vacation days are awarded.
Stay on your BA to get those FT jobs filled NOW, or show up at the next mtg with the whole local sort.

At my center we call them Temps. Temporary part time cover drivers. We drive June 1st- Dec 31st under the old contract.

Just a little update, my local Union put a stop to the Temps being on call. He has filed and is meeting with the district manager to get the 3 vacancies filled. I actually united the 3 part time temps that they need to call in daily. I told them if we help them get to June 1st none of us are going full time. But if we force these supervisors to drive all the time they will press the issue for the spots to be posted. I said to them guys the sups don't want to go out and drive everyday. I'm actually shocked I united them.

Also this is what I've already noticed, on snow/ice days we get more call offs then normal. These are the days Temps are going to be called in. Which is complete bs. You've got guys making big money who are going to call off and leave the part time guys to go out in crap weather. My advice to part timers, if its gonna snow turn your phone off.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Several of our seasonal drivers were kept on as FT package car drivers. That is how the company fills the ranks now. Don't even give the PTers a chance to bid. They do have a FT driver intent sheet posted.
Uh for ever off the street they hire they would have to hire 5 or 6? Part timers.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My local and the Company have agreed to continue to use seasonal drivers until the Company has trained sufficient PTers at Integrad at a rate of two per month from March - May; time worked for these drivers will NOT count toward seniority. This is interesting given (1) the six new FT jobs is less than half the number of seasonals currently working -- at a time in which our building volume is historically at its lowest AND the fewest vacations during the year are being taken, (2) seasonal drivers are trained locally and do not need to proceed via Integrad when going permanent - why can't the same be done here, (3) because hiring will be insufficient, that means these seasonals will continue to work into the next seasonal time period & thus will have worked nearly for a full year uninterrupted.

Me thinks I should consider running for BA...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My local and the Company have agreed to continue to use seasonal drivers until the Company has trained sufficient PTers at Integrad at a rate of two per month from March - May; time worked for these drivers will NOT count toward seniority. This is interesting given (1) the six new FT jobs is less than half the number of seasonals currently working -- at a time in which our building volume is historically at its lowest AND the fewest vacations during the year are being taken, (2) seasonal drivers are trained locally and do not need to proceed via Integrad when going permanent - why can't the same be done here, (3) because hiring will be insufficient, that means these seasonals will continue to work into the next seasonal time period & thus will have worked nearly for a full year uninterrupted.

Me thinks I should consider running for BA...
Me thinks the NLRB would like to hear about this. What a load of crap. Glad I'm not waiting to be a driver at your center.

Leadfarmer153

UPDATE- 3 full time positions have been posted this week to part timers. There is still one more spot that has never been filled. There is a strong rumor our center manager is fighting for 2 more spots.

My union put there foot down about the 4th week in Jan. Said no more temps, no calling us. The sups began to run routes and the center started getting driver injuries. A lot of routes were going out with 50 stops over 9.5. They were coming back late and our airs had to be shuttled to the airport on a nightly bases. Which was good for me because I'm an air driver. We now have had 7 injuries since the end of Dec..... 7 out of about 70 drivers. I did unite the temps to not come in and deliver grounds.

So I guess to anyone else that has this happen, you have to do the same. Find out daily (like I did) from the drivers if any Sups ran routes. I know many of the drivers and they would come up to me on Local Sort and tell me who ran routes. Then I would report to my Union and shop stewart. I called my Local Union Rep about 2-3 times a week. You gotta ride them and let them know this is BS the drivers are pissed and the part timers are pissed.

If you don't speak up the Union thinks no one cares. If you don't make it an issue your center thinks no ones wants to go full time because no one is fighting for the spot.

Last edited:

upschuck

Putting helpers and rentals back on the road Thursday and Friday. Backlog from the snow and not delivering Monday. Been rolling several loads and customers are cranky. They've been attempted one day, and put in retain load the next.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
So my center manager called me today to ask if I could Temp drive on Friday. As far as I know he needs two. We had a mild snow storm but nothing outta the ordinary for my area. I'm guessing they have blamed it on the snow. My local has already given the ok to use us. My center has 3 unfilled full time spots. Which have all been filed, I've been all over it for over 2 years now. The center manager does want these spots filled. We are now 30 days pass Christmas and completely out of peak. With the new contract giving the ok for all year round temps (under the 1 day use of a temp year round) I don't see a need for the company to post new full time spots anytime soon.

I realize this isn't the Unions company and UPS hires when they want. But why even have a contract if we constantly just ignore it? Why even pay into the Union when my local has pissed our money away and increased the retirement age to 62. Thats right at my center its not 55 anymore.

Am I apart of the weakest most spineless local in the country? I've been told they don't want to press the issue of full time spots because if we lose it's like a court case and can screw future attempts at filling full time spots. Well if you don't fight for them anyhow what do you got to lose? I'm coming up on 7 years as a part timer. And as a part time employee you should know we can't just pass up the money. If I try and unite the Temps and say tell them to say no, that won't work. There are to many of us and a few are bound to say yes.
Are you a single day vacation coverage driver.