Termination for 5 minutes unpaid time

Alchemix

I think the OP will get his job back.
No back pay, tho.
damn I was hoping for back pay but I guess thats why the steward told me to file for unemployment. Cant count on it as I did technically make an error that I will learn from now.

What a crock of :censored2:. I wont be so hesitant to file grievances now

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
damn I was hoping for back pay but I guess thats why the steward told me to file for unemployment. Cant count on it as I did technically make an error that I will learn from now.

What a crock of :censored2:. I wont be so hesitant to file grievances now
Back pay for stealing time
You aren’t taking this near serious enough you could have just :censored2:ed yourself out of a six figure job
Think about that for awhile

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Seems the sentiment of the people in here think its likely gonna be job back, no back pay. Do you have a different view on it?
There aren’t any guarantees you’re gonna get your job back
Maybe the labor managers got a hard on it’s going to come down to whatever he tells your boss to do

Alchemix

There aren’t any guarantees you’re gonna get your job back
Maybe the labor managers got a hard on it’s going to come down to whatever he tells your boss to do
Thank you for the insight. And I am taking it very seriously that's why i'm on here asking for feedback. I will correct the error in the future. What would influence the decision of the labor manager? What is he going to look at to make that decision?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thank you for the insight. And I am taking it very seriously that's why i'm on here asking for feedback. I will correct the error in the future. What would influence the decision of the labor manager? What is he going to look at to make that decision?
Nobody can answer that
It’s just another day for him
Be contrite say your sorry and don’t come off with an attitude

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I never code bathroom breaks, and since UPS doesn't provide water, grabbing a drink is protected just like using the bathroom. Anyone who thinks that's stealing time is a chump. Now, let's talk about a real problem: how much wage theft UPS engages in without consequences.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Call OSHA and tell them you were fired for using the bathroom and getting a drink.

Alchemix

How does a hearing process work? Never been in one.

I'm assuming its similar to the initial meeting, but whats the structure like? Can anyone explain how it works so I know what to expect?

Yolo

If I was UPS management I would wonder why 10+ drivers have to stop at the same gas station at the same time every morning. You have every right to stop and piss but can you understand why management would have an issue with all their drivers stopping to buy a Snickers bar while on the clock every morning. Get a wifey and make her pack you a lunch every morning. And if you want to stop and buy goodies. Don't do it at the gas station closest to work as soon as you leave the building.

But yeah you will probably get your job back unless you had a long history. Asking for backpay is pushing it. You admitted to shopping while on the clock.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Hey guys, been driving for the company for about 2 years now. Am right around the corner from going full time 22.4. Had an incident yesterday that I heard about this morning heading into work and was just terminated by my manager.

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. He also said that people in the past who this has happened to in the past ended up getting their jobs back. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

I guess my question to some of the more veteran guys is what does this mean? Obviously the 5 minutes of time isn't worth termination, especially if I wasnt aware of the rule and wasn't told how to do it to begin with. Is this just lightening the workers they have to pay during peak since its slow? I keep hearing that i'll get my job back but I can't help but feel nervous and shaky about it. If anybody could give me their opinions on this and what it all means, as well as what you think may happen, I would appreciate it. Seems like a bunch of you guys have seen it all
Welcome to the start of a paper trail. Do you think it was a coincidence that the sup was sitting there waiting? No it wasn’t. They know what you guys do but they don’t care until someone above them makes them care. This peak our volume is way down and our payroll is way up. The pettiness will soon be happening nationwide. They have to earn what Wall Street says they should earn and they’ll do anything to make that happen. My recommendation to anyone is make sure you are doing everything by the book no questions asked. It’s going to get ugly fast.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If I was UPS management I would wonder why 10+ drivers have to stop at the same gas station at the same time every morning. You have every right to stop and piss but can you understand why management would have an issue with all their drivers stopping to buy a Snickers bar while on the clock every morning. Get a wifey and make her pack you a lunch every morning. And if you want to stop and buy goodies. Don't do it at the gas station closest to work as soon as you leave the building.

But yeah you will probably get your job back unless you had a long history. Asking for backpay is pushing it. You admitted to shopping while on the clock.

Calling buying a drink "shopping" is dishonest.

HyperBrn

Calling buying a drink "shopping" is dishonest.
Depends on what kind of drink it is. Was told at a PCM recently that bathroom breaks, gas fill up breaks and HYDRATION drink purchase breaks are sanctioned. But if I were to buy any food, or anything other than water or gatorade (or the equivalent) that it could be considered stealing time if I didn't code out as break time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Depends on what kind of drink it is. Was told at a PCM recently that bathroom breaks, gas fill up breaks and HYDRATION drink purchase breaks are sanctioned. But if I were to buy any food, or anything other than water or gatorade (or the equivalent) that it could be considered stealing time if I didn't code out as break time.

90%+ of all drinks are water. If it doesn't take any extra time to add a snickers then no time is stolen.

There's no such thing as a "gas fill up break". If you are fueling a package car you are performing work. If the pump is still running when you get back with bags full of Little Debbie snacks, no time was stolen.

The idea of "time theft" is horse :censored2: anyway. It's a made up term to make slacking sound like a serious offense. The real time theft is when the company lies and says you should be able to do 12 hours of work in 6 hours, and then proceeds to harass and stalk you, trying to squeeze an extra few seconds of productivity out of you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1671189133719.png

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I guess you work is not realize how much technology they have on us.
And I'm sure you're supervisor was not sitting there by random.
I'm sure there was a pattern that was showing up that made him sit there

I'm sure this happened many times with multiple drivers and it showed up on reports so they decided to investigate it

That's probably the case.

Or, they pissed someone off.... who ratted them to management.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hey guys, been driving for the company for about 2 years now. Am right around the corner from going full time 22.4. Had an incident yesterday that I heard about this morning heading into work and was just terminated by my manager.

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. He also said that people in the past who this has happened to in the past ended up getting their jobs back. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

I guess my question to some of the more veteran guys is what does this mean? Obviously the 5 minutes of time isn't worth termination, especially if I wasnt aware of the rule and wasn't told how to do it to begin with. Is this just lightening the workers they have to pay during peak since its slow? I keep hearing that i'll get my job back but I can't help but feel nervous and shaky about it. If anybody could give me their opinions on this and what it all means, as well as what you think may happen, I would appreciate it. Seems like a bunch of you guys have seen it all
Based upon your testimony, IMO your termination does not meet the conditions for a “just cause” termination.

I believe if you have decent Union representation you should get your job back and although I believe you are entitled to back pay my experience has been with my Local E Board is that they would be they will probably settle for time off no pay. IMO You won’t be out long though, this is just another BS “theft of time” harassment ploy by management that clearly lacks Integrity.

I suggest you look into “just cause” discipline and decide for yourself if it even come close to being a “just cause” termination.