Termination

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I will also admit that these cases I'm referring to are far and few in between, but they do exist.

For the most part, people aren't stupid enough to fondle their sup or threaten to kill their Center Manager.

22.34life

Neither is workplace violence, or sexual harassment, or gross insubordination, or a few others that I'm sure you know of.

Not Cardinal sins, but you will be terminated, and possibly upheld.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, half the Arbitrators, in Arbitration cases, consider the Cardinal Sin list inclusive, and the other half consider it exclusive. Meaning Arbitrators have upheld discharges for non-cardinal sin offenses.

You actually just referenced a case, I believe.

The Administrative Law Judge concluded that he would have been terminated anyway for his Facebook comments, yet that was not a Cardinal sin.

Agreed. And I've seen many put back to work because they were not terminated immediately for what UPS considered was a terminable offense.

If they were not terminated on the spot, and UPS continued to let them work, it must not have been that serious.
what supplement are u under?I have been to panels,no arbitrations,but I have seen the company terminate plenty of people for things that are clearly not outlined in article 52 of our supplement,not wearing seatbelt,walking on moving belt,failure to follow instructions etc.not one of those people stayed out more than a week and certainly never made it to a panel docket.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Here where I'm at, if you're involved in an accident, and you report it, and they let you continue to drive, you cannot be taken out of service for that accident. They have to come and remove you from your vehicle. If they let you continue to drive, they lose their opportunity to remove you from service.

But maybe it's different where you are. With some of the stories I hear from pathetic union leadership around the country, there's no telling.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
what supplement are u under?

The dreaded Central with 17i, Other Cardinal offenses.

I have seen the company terminate plenty of people for things that are clearly not outlined in article 52 of our supplement,not wearing seatbelt,walking on moving belt,failure to follow instructions etc.

All offenses that only deserve a warning letter, not termination.

That is why Cardinal sins are listed, so the Company doesn't terminate for trivial reasons.

But the Contract, Cardinal sins, will not protect you from a few a few very serious offenses, ones that UPS has a zero tolerance policy for, ie sexual harassment, workplace violence, or unlawful acts.

And yes, there a Supplements that do not list assualt or violence as a Cardinal sin.

And I only brought this up because someone posted that an employee cannot be terminated for anything other than a Cardinal sin, period.

These cases don't happen everyday, but there are plenty of them that the termination was upheld even though it was not listed as a Cardinal sin.

I was just pointing out that it does, and can, happen.

not one of those people stayed out more than a week and certainly never made it to a panel docket.

Wait, the contract says they cannot be terminated without a warning letter first.

Bet you they didn't get back pay.

So basically got a weeks suspension, didn't they?

Thought the contract said only a warning letter.

In the southern supplement "unprovoked physical violence" is a cardinal infraction.

How about threatening to kill someone.

This is not physical violence, or assault.

You will still be terminated in the Southern and it will be upheld, even though it is not listed as a Cardinal sin.

Indecisi0n

If I was terminated I would walk out of the building with a huge boom box on my shoulder dancing this down the isle and out the building

source.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Here where I'm at, if you're involved in an accident, and you report it, and they let you continue to drive, you cannot be taken out of service for that accident. They have to come and remove you from your vehicle. If they let you continue to drive, they lose their opportunity to remove you from service.

That's the way it is here.

And not only for accidents, for anything.

If they don't terminate you immediately, the Union's position is that it must not have been that serious an offense that UPS continued to let the employee work.

Best the company can do in these cases is give a warning letter.

F

Frankie's Friend

Possibly. I don't think you would be terminated for assault, you copped a feel. Possibly sexual battery.

How about the Southern?

It states "or engaging in unprovoked physical violence on Company property or while on duty."

Fondling some boobs would not be considered physical violence, it would be considered sexual harassment, or sexual battery, and the employee would be terminated
20190403_211104.jpg

I believe this is the legal description of that action...

As long as it was not welcomed.

I have a habit of looking at my diad while in traffic ... but I have the truck in park at a light when I look at it so is that the same as using phone/diad while driving . ? Can I get disciplined for it ?

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a habit of looking at my diad while in traffic ... but I have the truck in park at a light when I look at it so is that the same as using phone/diad while driving . ? Can I get disciplined for it ?
Around here (just started today) that would get you a $135 ticket for distracted driving.

Around here (just started today) that would get you a $135 ticket for distracted driving.
, truck is in park . Wheels not moving = not driving

It’s just like pulling over on the side of the road to look at your next stop that u just looked at 2 seconds ago while in park ...

rod

Retired 22 years
, truck is in park . Wheels not moving = not driving

It’s just like pulling over on the side of the road to look at your next stop that u just looked at 2 seconds ago while in park ...
But you are in traffic. There is a difference. Are you the driver who was ahead of me the other day and was too busy looking at his DIAD (or cell phone) to notice the light had turned green. Sat there until the horns started honking.