Termination

1989NW

I have been a full-time driver for 6 years have 0 accident on my record and have never been written up for anything. I have always been pretty good about in-cab distractions and know that it is unacceptable to be on your phone while driving but I am human and I do slip up every once in awhile normally I have my phone in my chest pocket, today while I was driving I pulled my phone out of my pocket looked at the time and placed it back in my pocket my supervisor was doing an observation and Saw that I looked at my phone while driving. He then approached me and said that there are no warnings for having your phone in your hand while the wheels are moving and that I am going to be terminated. Can I really lose my job over this or do I need to at least be written up for it first?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have been a full-time driver for 6 years have 0 accident on my record and have never been written up for anything. I have always been pretty good about in-cab distractions and know that it is unacceptable to be on your phone while driving but I am human and I do slip up every once in awhile normally I have my phone in my chest pocket, today while I was driving I pulled my phone out of my pocket looked at the time and placed it back in my pocket my supervisor was doing an observation and Saw that I looked at my phone while driving. He then approached me and said that there are no warnings for having your phone in your hand while the wheels are moving and that I am going to be terminated. Can I really lose my job over this or do I need to at least be written up for it first?

Did you hand him the key fob and walk away? Or did he let you finish your shift? If you kept working, it must not have been that big of a deal.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Were you taken off truck right then? If not I think you have your answer!

Unless looking at a phone has become a cardinal offense? Can't imagine that one slipped by me.

iowa boy

Does your supervisor or building expect you to call in when they need you to do something or do you make them use the diad?

rod

Retired 22 years
Whats the difference between looking at the time on your cell phone and looking at a wrist watch? Both require you to take your eyes off the road.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What region are you in and do you have a local rider???

1989NW

Did you hand him the key fob and walk away? Or did he let you finish your shift? If you kept working, it must not have been that big of a deal.
No i was caught off gaurd, i knew that i was guilty and that he saw me so i just kept my cool and did not want to make things worse

rod

Retired 22 years
You should have denied it and said 2 black guys threatened you to give them the time and they were going to put a noose around your neck if you didn't obey.

trickpony1

Unless your pkg car has an "in dash" clock that displays accurate time how are you supposed to know what time it is to coordinate/synch your time commits and pick ups?

Time awareness is an integral part of being a pkg car driver...at least it was when I was one.

Underallowed306

I know a guy that’s been fired at least 5 times. He’s still driving. There’s a lot of gray area in the scenario you described. A decent steward should be able to muddy the water enough to reduce it to a warning letter at least, but even that seems extreme for what you’re describing. Not sure why they’re really bothering you if you’ve had no accidents unless you have had some other knuckleheads in your center crash into stuff recently.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Indecisi0n

Whats the difference between looking at the time on your cell phone and looking at a wrist watch? Both require you to take your eyes off the road.
The law .

To op if they say anything to you advise them you will no longer bring your phone with you to work . Then don't ever use it again for anything UPS related.

1989NW

That is pretty much what I said to him and his reply was I don't care what you were doing you could have been reading a text message for all I know. All I do know is that your phone was in your hand and in front of your face while your wheels were moving

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Yes you going to be terminate because you know what can happen , while driving you can change a whole family's life in a mere second , either it be your family or someone else's. Shame own you sir !!

Rack em

Made the Podium
There is a chance you will be terminated depending on how :censored2:y your center manger is. With a clean record like yours and the fact that you only looked at the phone and didn't type anything, the termination will not stick. Don't use the phone or diad while driving again because if you do get into an accident because of your phone then you're screwed.