Termination

PT Car Washer

I'm saying it's a warning letter at best and absolutely not against the law here.

That's why I tried to ask the OP where they reside, because as so many refuse to acknowledge, we aren't all under the same rules and guidelines.

But hey, don't let me knock you from your soapbox???
You are defending distracted driving? How many times a day do you not see a dangerous situation because someone is playing on their smart phone instead of watching traffic. At the very least sitting at a green light while they finish their text message and you are forced to sit through another cycle. I too am guilty.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The law about not using an electronic devise while driving a commercial vehicle. Did you not read and sign the agreement about distracted driving?

That's a moving violation, and only if a law enforcement officer catches you and cites you. Since when does an on road sup equate to law enforcement? Also, did you not read article 6 section 1 of the contract?

Yes you going to be terminate because you know what can happen , while driving you can change a whole family's life in a mere second , either it be your family or someone else's. Shame own you sir !!

There's distracted driving and there's taking your eyes off the road (which you do several times a minute while driving for various legitimate reasons). Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are defending distracted driving? How many times a day do you not see a dangerous situation because someone is playing on their smart phone instead of watching traffic. At the very least sitting at a green light while they finish their text message and you are forced to sit through another cycle. I too am guilty.
I am defending "progressive discipline", which is designed to give all of us an opportunity to correct perceived shortcomings before our heads are lopped off.

It's not a "cardinal offense".

PT Car Washer

That's a moving violation, and only if a law enforcement officer catches you and cites you. Since when does an on road sup equate to law enforcement? Also, did you not read article 6 section 1 of the contract?

There's distracted driving and there's taking your eyes off the road (which you do several times a minute while driving for various legitimate reasons). Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.
Do it myself way too many times a day. Sup should have issued a verbal warning instead of raising it to a termination. Poor judgement on his part.

Rack em

Made the Podium
This happened to me today. See a car slowly drifting into my lane and when I passed him his eyes were glued to his phone. maroon.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
These true believers and their culture of safety nonsense. I'm an adult, capable of making my own decisions. If one of those decisions hurts someone else or their property, or puts someone else at risk of eminent harm, then I will face the consequences of my decisions. Until then, mind your business, and I'll mind mine.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No i was caught off gaurd, i knew that i was guilty and that he saw me so i just kept my cool and did not want to make things worse

You may be able to file a harassment grievance for being threatened with termination over a non-terminable offense, especially since they allowed you to continue working.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real

Thank you Sir ! ...... great point a moving violation , Got exactly what you deserved a ticket , now let UPS know that you already had that on your record let said you have a CDL , or you hurt someone !???

F

Frankie's Friend

The law about not using an electronic devise while driving a commercial vehicle. Did you not read and sign the agreement about distracted driving?
Define "using".

Would that be under article 17i?

"Avoid all in-cab distractions".

Is that defined as anything that would possibly make you take your eyes off the road?

Like your DIAD light coming on and the audible noise it makes that causes you to take your eyes off the wheel? Especially at night when it's dark in the cab?

Their own training instructs you to observe your instrument gauge(s) while driving, thus taking your eyes off the road.

Does the OP have phone records showing that the management called him anytime during the day when he was driving? They know when the wheels are turning but yet call him in his cell phone baiting him to answer.

This is no more than a warning ltr. The laws governing "reaching for" and/or illegally using a mobile device was modified as follows:
Screenshot_20190327-231818_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190327-232128_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190327-232302_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-232233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190327-232233_Chrome.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 220

PT Car Washer

Define "using".

Would that be under article 17i?

"Avoid all in-cab distractions".

Is that defined as anything that would possibly make you take your eyes off the road?

Like your DIAD light coming on and the audible noise it makes that causes you to take your eyes off the wheel? Especially at night when it's dark in the cab?

Their own training instructs you to observe your instrument gauge(s) while driving, thus taking your eyes off the road.

Does the OP have phone records showing that the management called him anytime during the day when he was driving? They know when the wheels are turning but yet call him in his cell phone baiting him to answer.

This is no more than a warning ltr. The laws governing "reaching for" and/or illegally using a mobile device was modified as follows:
View attachment 241681 View attachment 241683View attachment 241688
Jailhouse lawyer.