the 5 seeing habits quiz?

upser707

this is close, but not the same as in my center,

1. Aim High in Steering – Look as far down the road as possible to uncover important traffic information to make appropriate decisions.
  2. Get The Big Picture – Maintain the proper following distance so you can comfortably determine the true hazards around your vehicle. Don’t tailgate others.
  3. Keep Your Eyes Moving – Scan, don’t stare. Constantly shift you eyes while driving. Active eyes keep up with changing traffic conditions.
  4. Leave Yourself An Out – Be prepared. Surround your vehicle with space in front and at least on one side to escape conflict.
  5. Make Sure Other Drivers See You – Communicate in traffic with your horn, lights and signals to establish eye contact. Be reasonably sure of people’s intentions.

upser707

this is word for word in my center, so there ya go.

Five Seeing Habits
Aim High In Steering
  • Imaginary target — baseball/dart board.
  • Centers car in traffic lane. Safe path on turns.
  • Find a safe path well ahead
Get The Big Picture
  • How wide and deep? What’s in it? Objects and ground.
  • Keeps you away from billboards. Smooth stops and turns. Buys time.
  • Stay back and see it all.
Keep Your Eyes moving
  • Move eyes. Front: 2 seconds. Rear: 5-to-8 seconds.
  • Keeps you alive at intersections. Keeps eyes ahead of car.
  • Scan — don’t stare.
Leave Yourself An Out
  • Have an escape out. Take path of least resistance.
  • Space on all four sides, but always in front.
  • Be prepared. Expect the unexpected.
Make Sure They See You.
  • Communicate in traffic — horn, lights, signals.
  • Establishes eye-to-eye contact.
  • Don’t gamble. Use your horn, lights, and signals.
  • Orange safety cone procedure (pending)

Cementups

Box Monkey
I told my boss the best way for me to remember Get the Big Picture is that I think of his wife,-----How wide, how deep, what's in it. He said, whatever it takes for you to remember it.

satellitedriver

alex, post them and let the mods worry about legality.
Funny, No worries Mate.
UPS "borrowed" these safe driving habits and tried to make them their own.
Same goes for "back first".
Always the last one to the Ball.

I forget the original author's name.
At a business on my route is a poster with great graphics depicting and explaining the 5 see habits with the originators name on it.
I am on vacation this week, so it will be next week before I can find the persons name.
My hard boiled brain ,due to the heat, may need reminding to go into their break room and get the info.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I forget the original author's name.

I think the guy's name was Smith, not sure off the top of my head. My sis-in-law drives a Greyhound bus, and they use a version of the Five Seeing Habits too. And thats about it for them. No ten points, lifting, yard control, etc.

satellitedriver

I think the guy's name was Smith, not sure off the top of my head. My sis-in-law drives a Greyhound bus, and they use a version of the Five Seeing Habits too. And thats about it for them. No ten points, lifting, yard control, etc.

Ups has never had an original thought.
Every concept has been borrowed, after cannibalization, to fit certain needs.
Even more so today.
Our board members are board members,with other board members.
When policies are discussed ,and decided upon, within such a small group controlling huge monetary power it is no wonder one sees the same key phrases,and strategies, used unilaterally through out corporations world wide.
I had the rare pleasure to spend an evening getting drunk with a CEO from England that sat on a board with UPS's CEO.
A great evening of conversation and learning.
I felt like Forrest Gump.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
The company has been using this "system " for 25 or more years. The biggest problem is we have two completely different schools of skill sets between Feeders and Package Car. Until this company recognizes the difference, their attempts to brain wash everyone into the same mind set will never succeed. An example, First rule to Backing ....Their answer across the board is Don't Back. That may work in package, but it's not with Feeders. A feeder driver can not perform the job without backing. So preaching not to back to a feeder driver is silly.