The Amazon Saturday Snafu

bbsam

Staff member
If there was a union, the whole issue most likely wouldn't have even come up. I think that's a better way.

Your move Sam.
I don't need a move. Just direct yourself to the union issues on BC and see all the issues that "wouldn't have even come up."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Absolutely. Some here try to downplay our jobs as being entry level and thus really aren't worth more than what we are getting. But here's where we earn our money. Flexibility. Never knowing day to day what exactly will happen. Freight can be late, it can be heavier than normal, thus requiring to be flexible with our off hours plans. We're out in all kinds of weather, we can suddenly be dumped on when a part-timer calls in sick on his pickup rt. The list goes on and on. Apparently we're not getting a day off for Christmas since it's on Saturday this year. And some of us most likely will have to work Christmas Day if necessary. We're expected over and over to give and give. All we're asking in exchange is adequate compensation for the giving, the sacrifices, the flexibility.

Great points. It's fine if they want you to work Christmas Day or 12 hours when they need it. As usual, it's always on their terms and we are supposed to be flexible for them, but not the other way around. This has been going on for way too long. If FedEx wants a dedicated and flexible workforce, they need to pay accordingly, but that isn't the plan.

vantexan

Great points. It's fine if they want you to work Christmas Day or 12 hours when they need it. As usual, it's always on their terms and we are supposed to be flexible for them, but not the other way around. This has been going on for way too long. If FedEx wants a dedicated and flexible workforce, they need to pay accordingly, but that isn't the plan.

Hey, either you've convinced the naysayers or have finally broken them! Usually howling in protest by now. Or maybe no need to protest, keeping the union out appears to be a lock.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, either you've convinced the naysayers or have finally broken them! Usually howling in protest by now. Or maybe no need to protest, keeping the union out appears to be a lock.

Maybe Maury sent 59 Dano, LT Fedexer and quadro on an all-expenses paid trip to Memphis, or maybe they were already there, which is more of a punishment than a reward.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Because issues don't come up with a union??? Is that what you are implying???

You're reading too much into this. Perhaps you had too much coffee over at MT3's house.

I was only talking about the issue here in this thread.

Time for the chill pill.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're reading too much into this. Perhaps you had too much coffee over at MT3's house.

Time for the chill pill.

The drink of choice at MT3's house is Kool-Aid. This weeks flavor is Rootin' Tootin' Orange.

quadro

If there was a union, the whole issue most likely wouldn't have even come up. I think that's a better way.

Your move Sam.

Time for the chill pill.
The same can be said for you. You are reading too much into what I said. Your original post stated that this issue wouldn't have come up if there was a union. You might be right about that but issues certainly do come up even with a union so if not this one then something else. That's all I was saying.

quadro

That's all easy to say when you aren't the one who has to try to plan it. The FedEx engineers had nothing to do with it, it was based on what Amazon told us, nothing we can do when we are given bad numbers except try to adjust on the fly. As long as you get yours, screw everyone else. BTW, one of the interview questions when you apply here is "Start and end times may vary due to variables in our business. Is your schedule flexible enough to accommodate this." Since you are employed here, I assume you answered "Yes" to this question.
I understand where you are coming from and normally I think we are on about the same page. However, in this instance, I think you need to take a closer look at what you are saying. I don't think anyone here, including MFE, would argue that flexibility isn't needed in this job. I think most people at FedEx are flexible and some more so than others. The issue isn't really the flexibility as clearly they were flexible enough to change plans and volunteer (or maybe forced) to work Saturday. The issue is really about treating people appropriately. If, for whatever reason, the Amazon numbers were off, then that's not FedEx's fault but it's also not the employees' fault. To ask us to change our schedule at the last minute and not work is ok as long as it's a simple request. If you tell me "hey, we don't really need you today, would you like to go home?" then at least I have the choice. If I choose to stay then it's only fair that I get paid. If you want me to rearrange the supplies in the warehouse because that's all there is to do, then I'll do it. If you had told me Friday morning that you didn't need me Saturday morning then I could at least make other plans. If you tell me Saturday morning that you don't need me, then the People thing to do is to give me the choice.

This is not about a variable start and end time. This is about being scheduled to work and told at the last minute that you don't need me. That's a very different situation and when you (meaning management) try to twist it to fit, that's where you lose the trust and respect of your employees.

From your other posts, it sounds like you do try to do the right thing for your employees. Take another look at what you said and tell me if you still think it would be the right thing to say to your employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I understand where you are coming from and normally I think we are on about the same page. However, in this instance, I think you need to take a closer look at what you are saying. I don't think anyone here, including MFE, would argue that flexibility isn't needed in this job. I think most people at FedEx are flexible and some more so than others. The issue isn't really the flexibility as clearly they were flexible enough to change plans and volunteer (or maybe forced) to work Saturday. The issue is really about treating people appropriately. If, for whatever reason, the Amazon numbers were off, then that's not FedEx's fault but it's also not the employees' fault. To ask us to change our schedule at the last minute and not work is ok as long as it's a simple request. If you tell me "hey, we don't really need you today, would you like to go home?" then at least I have the choice. If I choose to stay then it's only fair that I get paid. If you want me to rearrange the supplies in the warehouse because that's all there is to do, then I'll do it. If you had told me Friday morning that you didn't need me Saturday morning then I could at least make other plans. If you tell me Saturday morning that you don't need me, then the People thing to do is to give me the choice.

This is not about a variable start and end time. This is about being scheduled to work and told at the last minute that you don't need me. That's a very different situation and when you (meaning management) try to twist it to fit, that's where you lose the trust and respect of your employees.

From your other posts, it sounds like you do try to do the right thing for your employees. Take another look at what you said and tell me if you still think it would be the right thing to say to your employees.

For once, I agree with you. Too bad the "People" thing to do is hardly ever considered any more. It actually cost less to deal with employees equitably.

FedEx2000

I agree 100% with what you said here, and I think I said about the same thing in a previous post. It should definitely be optional if you were asked/mandated to work and then asked to go home, if you want to go home fine, or if you want to stay and organize supplies/clean out a few trucks that's fine too....whatever there is besides cleaning bathrooms etc....can't/wouldn't ask hourlies to do that.

The post you were quoting here was more in response to MFE about how FedEx requires employees to be flexible, which we absolutely do...nature of our business. But it's a two way street, FedEx is flexible in that we allow EE's to call in sick or take a personal day up to an hour before their start time, at which point we have to find someone else to cover that open route......so I guess part of my point is that it's not always just FedEx, sometimes it is your fellow couriers that are causing mgmt to ask you to change routes/plans at the last minute. Also, I can count on one hand the number of time off requests that I have denied and the times that we have not been able to work out getting some P2 covered for a Dr.'s appt that I was told about the morning of or a kid's ballgame etc. We almost always find a way to make it work....even if it means I personally deliver the pkgs or run a PM.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen at UPS, since their mgrs aren't allowed to touch boxes as it takes work away from the hourly employees.......I understand the intent of that rule, but in reality it makes no sense. Sometimes we are the only body available to get it done. Unless that rule has changed there.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree 100% with what you said here, and I think I said about the same thing in a previous post. It should definitely be optional if you were asked/mandated to work and then asked to go home, if you want to go home fine, or if you want to stay and organize supplies/clean out a few trucks that's fine too....whatever there is besides cleaning bathrooms etc....can't/wouldn't ask hourlies to do that.

The post you were quoting here was more in response to MFE about how FedEx requires employees to be flexible, which we absolutely do...nature of our business. But it's a two way street, FedEx is flexible in that we allow EE's to call in sick or take a personal day up to an hour before their start time, at which point we have to find someone else to cover that open route......so I guess part of my point is that it's not always just FedEx, sometimes it is your fellow couriers that are causing mgmt to ask you to change routes/plans at the last minute. Also, I can count on one hand the number of time off requests that I have denied and the times that we have not been able to work out getting some P2 covered for a Dr.'s appt that I was told about the morning of or a kid's ballgame etc. We almost always find a way to make it work....even if it means I personally deliver the pkgs or run a PM.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen at UPS, since their mgrs aren't allowed to touch boxes as it takes work away from the hourly employees.......I understand the intent of that rule, but in reality it makes no sense. Sometimes we are the only body available to get it done. Unless that rule has changed there.....

It's a one-way street, with 8 foot high walls on each side and a steamroller headed your way. Remember the scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Indiana Jones trips the booby trap, and the boulder chases hin out the cave? That's Express.

LTFedExer

It's a one-way street, with 8 foot high walls on each side and a steamroller headed your way. Remember the scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Indiana Jones trips the booby trap, and the boulder chases hin out the cave? That's Express.
I sure hope you don't have the attitude you show here at your station. Though, it would explain a lot. EVERY manager I EVER had has given me either a day or a week off that I probably shouldn't have had. One Monday (very recently) we had our allowable 7 people off. Yet, I still was able to use a vacation day. Managers can be flexible when circumstances allow. But, you can't just expect them to give you something just because you ask for it.

FedEx2000

Posts like this are why you sometimes get less than eloquent responses......there is no compromise with you. It's your way or the highway, yet you accuse FedEx of the very same....maybe you and Fred have more in common than you realize.

Jack_Burton

I've personally missed being the Best Man at my friends wedding as well as a couple funerals because they couldn't possibly see how they give me the time off. I would have just called in sick otherwise, but I try to do the right thing and it gets you nowhere in this company. Years back I also cancelled vacation plans after already having reservations, because they were in dire need of help, only to have them reassign my remaining vacation days at their leisure.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I sure hope you don't have the attitude you show here at your station. Though, it would explain a lot. EVERY manager I EVER had has given me either a day or a week off that I probably shouldn't have had. One Monday (very recently) we had our allowable 7 people off. Yet, I still was able to use a vacation day. Managers can be flexible when circumstances allow. But, you can't just expect them to give you something just because you ask for it.

I think I have a totally realistic attitude. You're free to disagree.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I've personally missed being the Best Man at my friends wedding as well as a couple funerals because they couldn't possibly see how they give me the time off. I would have just called in sick otherwise, but I try to do the right thing and it gets you nowhere in this company. Years back I also cancelled vacation plans after already having reservations, because they were in dire need of help, only to have them reassign my remaining vacation days at their leisure.

Yep,
After 4 yrs. of never calling in sick or being late, I've decided that it's not worth it anymore. I've missed or had to re-arrange a lot of stuff in my personal life to go to work and I get nothing in exchange (my last two"7" review scores got me what? Thirty cents an hour more?). Meanwhile, I see other guys calling in sick constantly just because they're hung over and the company does nothing to get rid of these losers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep,
After 4 yrs. of never calling in sick or being late, I've decided that it's not worth it anymore. I've missed or had to re-arrange a lot of stuff in my personal life to go to work and I get nothing in exchange (my last two"7" review scores got me what? Thirty cents an hour more?). Meanwhile, I see other guys calling in sick constantly just because they're hung over and the company does nothing to get rid of these losers.

So rather than maintain what sounds like a very strong work ethic you would rather lower yourself to their standards?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So rather than maintain what sounds like a very strong work ethic you would rather lower yourself to their standards?

Your reward for being an outstanding employee is nothing but more work. They don't appreciate a strong work ethic, and will happily toss you aside like yesterday's newspaper should you become sick and/or injured. Why put forth the extra effort when it most definitely is not appreciated?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your reward for being an outstanding employee is nothing but more work. They don't appreciate a strong work ethic, and will happily toss you aside like yesterday's newspaper should you become sick and/or injured. Why put forth the extra effort when it most definitely is not appreciated?

Personal pride?