The Big Ugly Talk (Pre: Round 1)

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
You would be blown away in all aspects of your operation. UPS runs way more volume than Ground could handle.

For my ISP's route that I do, the supplemental truck, his own straight truck, and another ISP's straight truck for the mall in my work area: there are eight+ regular UPS package vans, numerous straight trucks, & an unknown quantity of dedicated trailers swapped every day in just one tiny corner of my morning.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For my ISP's route that I do, the supplemental truck, his own straight truck, and another ISP's straight truck for the mall in my work area: there are eight+ regular UPS package vans, numerous straight trucks, & an unknown quantity of dedicated trailers swapped every day in just one tiny corner of my morning.

Exactly. UPS runs thousands of feeder routes at night that most Ground and Express employees aren't even aware of. Their vehicle fleet is huge. Besides interstate runs, they've got all of the local rail yard work and center runs....an operation that dwarfs anything at FedEx. And that is just the feeders. As you said, there are many more UPS package car routes out there than most people think.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think the point is that UPS would suddenly become irrelevant. I think it is an opportunity to grab and retain a slight % of market share and keep it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think the point is that UPS would suddenly become irrelevant. I think it is an opportunity to grab and retain a slight % of market share and keep it.

Maybe, but the point remains that if UPS actually strikes, a lot of their volume is just going to be sitting there because neither Ground or Express has the ability to absorb it. After the last strike, FedEx gained a few customers, but most went back relatively quickly.

bbsam

Staff member
And it should sit. We just look foolish if we make a bunch of stupid commitments that we know we can't keep.

Doc Sorting Dude

That's the thing. If you think Fedex sales isn't using the threat of a strike to get customers to jump ship you're living in a fantasy world. This will always be the case come contract renewal time. The lost revenue of a UPS strike would be devastating for many companies and they would just about listen to any and all options should even a 1 % chance of disruption.

The threat of a strike isn't in UPS favor anymore. Maybe we don't have the infrastructure as Brown yet but we certainly have a lot more resources to offer a customer of UPS than before. Who's thinking of grabbing a monster share of their business? We just want their key major distributors whoever they are.