The Diversity Appeal= Reverse Racism?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Diversity Appeal is a new employee magazine targeted at the minority workers of FedEx Express. It's brand-new, and not yet widely circulated, but if you look at your station's bulletin board, you'll probably find a copy. It's a major "coincidence" that a minority-targeted publication just happens to appear after all of the discrimination suits filed against FedEx. To me, it's a tawdry attempt to show how PC FedEx Express has become, and that they are "on board" when it comes to diversity. It looks like they beat the bushes to find every type of minority possible to feature in this publication, be it religious, lifestyle, race, etc. I can just see managers running through the halls trying to find someone who is Muslim, Hindu, Gay, Chinese or whatever else, just so they can be used as fodder for this rag. FedEx also invented a series of diversity awards that have been presented to various minority leaders such as Kareem Abdul Jabbar, again specifically created to serve the need for FedEx to appear to be diverse and politically correct.

A more disturbing trend has been the blatant and obvious push to promote people of color into management positions, even if they aren't qualified. I've seen plenty of superbly qualified Caucasian applicants passed-over in favor of minority candidates who were completely sub-par, just so FedEx looks good.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. The best qualified person should get the job, and we don't need a phony-baloney magazine that trumpets how great FedEx is at recognizing diversity. Even the name is a joke, a direct rip-off of the Memphis newspaper, The Commercial Appeal. What a pathetic response by an equally pathetic upper management team.

Overpaid Union Thug

The Diversity Appeal is a new employee magazine targeted at the minority workers of FedEx Express. It's brand-new, and not yet widely circulated, but if you look at your station's bulletin board, you'll probably find a copy. It's a major "coincidence" that a minority-targeted publication just happens to appear after all of the discrimination suits filed against FedEx. To me, it's a tawdry attempt to show how PC FedEx Express has become, and that they are "on board" when it comes to diversity. It looks like they beat the bushes to find every type of minority possible to feature in this publication, be it religious, lifestyle, race, etc. I can just see managers running through the halls trying to find someone who is Muslim, Hindu, Gay, Chinese or whatever else, just so they can be used as fodder for this rag. FedEx also invented a series of diversity awards that have been presented to various minority leaders such as Kareem Abdul Jabbar, again specifically created to serve the need for FedEx to appear to be diverse and politically correct.

A more disturbing trend has been the blatant and obvious push to promote people of color into management positions, even if they aren't qualified. I've seen plenty of superbly qualified Caucasian applicants passed-over in favor of minority candidates who were completely sub-par, just so FedEx looks good.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. The best qualified person should get the job, and we don't need a phony-baloney magazine that trumpets how great FedEx is at recognizing diversity. Even the name is a joke, a direct rip-off of the Memphis newspaper, The Commercial Appeal. What a pathetic response by an equally pathetic upper management team.

Oh don't even get me started on "Affirmative Action." It's a cancer of the U.S. workforce. That's all that needs to be said.

SuperSup

Uhoh, Mr FedEx got passed over for a job by a black person, and can't figure out how hat happened. By reading your posts, I am not surprised. Maybe you should look at your deficincies, which are numerous, before making petty excuses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh don't even get me started on "Affirmative Action." It's a cancer of the U.S. workforce. That's all that needs to be said.

Affirmative Action is not limited to the workplace--just ask any white kid who has tried to apply to graduate school only to be turned down because that school had a quota that they had to fill.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Uhoh, Mr FedEx got passed over for a job by a black person, and can't figure out how hat happened. By reading your posts, I am not surprised. Maybe you should look at your deficincies, which are numerous, before making petty excuses.

Sorry, not true, so I have no axe to grind from that angle. I do, however, observe lesser qualified minorities getting promoted over much more highly qualified Caucasians on a regular basis. The roll-out of the Diversity Appeal at this time is no accident due to a huge out-of-court settlement 2 years ago that alleged prejudice against Black and Latino management candidates. The fact that FedEx settled pre-trial for $51 million tells me they knew they would lose in court. If you worked for FedEx, you'd see the trend, but you don't, so your post is mis-informed. Management is pedaling as fast as they can to show that FedEx is "diverse" and "equal opportunity". It's all a big show, as is Affirmative Action in general in the wider world outside FedEx.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was gonna work for Fedex, but then I learned to read and write, so I was overqualified.
With these qualifications your perfect for ups management, you don't have to think for your self or even comprehend. Just let the puppet master pull your strings and maybe one day you can retire and move on to something meaningful.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was gonna work for Fedex, but then I learned to read and write, so I was overqualified.

Judging from your posts, you're qualified to be either a Wall Street CEO or a Republican strategist (you'll probably need to look that last word up). The dictionary is that big, heavy book that you use to level the kitchen table in your single-wide.

SuperSup

Single wide? Didn't you hear me say that I don't work for FedEx? I have something that you wouldn't comprehend; a real paycheck.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Single wide? Didn't you hear me say that I don't work for FedEx? I have something that you wouldn't comprehend; a real paycheck.

You're right. FedEx pays me enough to live in a cardboard box down by the railroad tracks. Luckily, I invested when I was young and own my home outright. Judging by your posts, I figured you spent most of your check on meth and beer.

SuperSup

Beer, of course; but my wife made me get rid of my meth lab (something about fumes and our small children, I wasn't really paying attention).

chev

Nightcrawler
Beer, of course; but my wife made me get rid of my meth lab (something about fumes and our small children, I wasn't really paying attention).
Are you ever going to post something positive, or is it your goal to be the "board A hole"?